Basic gear from mid-twentieth-century Spain: Other manufacturers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am curious as to why have the clamp and screw on the bottom rather than on the top? It seems like a diver with a snorkel would be more likely to hit it and hurt him/herself when on the bottom.
1685856459593.png

1685856564639.png
I agree, John, that the screw at the top is considered to be the normal location and also the safest position for it to occupy from the wearer's perspective. Of course, the Clasal Carabela model is the lower image above may have been photographed upside-down and the upper picture indicates that the mask normally came with the screw at the top, not the bottom.

Back in the day, masks were likelier to be more disassemblable than they are now. Replacement metal rims with screws were offered as spare parts by manufacturers for underwater swimmers who liked to tinker. If the screw is indeed at the bottom of the mask, the original user may have placed the screw there for reasons best known to himself.

Thanks for the likes, Luis and John, and for the interesting posts, John.
800px-Cisne_%28Cygnus_olor%29_en_el_Palacio_de_Nymphenburg%2C_M%C3%BAnich%2C_Alemania%2C_2013-05-10%2C_DD_07.jpg
Today we take a look at Clasal Cisne fins. Cisne is Spanish for "swan"or "cygnet" (above). As for the Clasal fins with that product name:
1685857771856.png

1685857795617.png
Spanish: "ALETAS CISNE ref. 2.099 - 2.500 - 2.555. Aletas especiales forma zapato, de tipo cuchara especiales para profesionales y adultos. De forma estudiada para dar el máximo impulso con un mínimo de resistencia y esfuerzo siendo por tanto las ideales contra los calambres. Fabricadas con goma extra CLASAL lo que les da gran duración, y para pies que calcen entre los números 38 al 47. Se fabrica solo en color negro. Ref. 2.099 del 38 al 41 — Precio 130 ptas. Ref. 2.500 del 42 al 44 — Precio 140 ptas. Ref. 2.555 del 45 al 47 — Precio 195 ptas."
Rough translation: "CISNE FINS ref. 2,099 - 2,500 - 2,555. Special shoe-type fins, special spoon type for professionals and adults. Designed to give the maximum impulse with a minimum of resistance and effort, therefore being ideal against cramps. Made with superior CLASAL rubber, which gives them great durability, and for feet fitting between EU sizes 38 to 47. It is manufactured only in black. Ref. 2,099 from 38 to 41 — Price 130 pesetas. Ref. 2,500 from 42 to 44 — Price 140 pesetas. Ref. 2,555 from 45 to 47 — Price 195 pesetas".

So a pair of black full-foot fins with open toes and smooth blades. Closed-heel fins like these were considered the best fins for Mediterranean diving because their foot pockets offered optimum wearing comfort and their offset blades the most desirable effort to performance ratio.

Other Clasal Cisne imagery:
1685858799398.png

1685858858332.png

1685858887020.png

That's all I have for Clasal, so I intend moving on to another Spanish manufacturer, perhaps Beltrán, some time midweek.

Thanks for the likes, Luis and John, and for the interesting posts, John.
800px-Cisne_%28Cygnus_olor%29_en_el_Palacio_de_Nymphenburg%2C_M%C3%BAnich%2C_Alemania%2C_2013-05-10%2C_DD_07.jpg
Today we take a look at Clasal Cisne fins. Cisne is Spanish for "swan"or "cygnet" (above). As for the Clasal fins with that product name:
Spanish: "ALETAS CISNE ref. 2.099 - 2.500 - 2.555. Aletas especiales forma zapato, de tipo cuchara especiales para profesionales y adultos. De forma estudiada para dar el máximo impulso con un mínimo de resistencia y esfuerzo siendo por tanto las ideales contra los calambres. Fabricadas con goma extra CLASAL lo que les da gran duración, y para pies que calcen entre los números 38 al 47. Se fabrica solo en color negro. Ref. 2.099 del 38 al 41 — Precio 130 ptas. Ref. 2.500 del 42 al 44 — Precio 140 ptas. Ref. 2.555 del 45 al 47 — Precio 195 ptas."
Rough translation: "CISNE FINS ref. 2,099 - 2,500 - 2,555. Special shoe-type fins, special spoon type for professionals and adults. Designed to give the maximum impulse with a minimum of resistance and effort, therefore being ideal against cramps. Made with superior CLASAL rubber, which gives them great durability, and for feet fitting between EU sizes 38 to 47. It is manufactured only in black. Ref. 2,099 from 38 to 41 — Price 130 pesetas. Ref. 2,500 from 42 to 44 — Price 140 pesetas. Ref. 2,555 from 45 to 47 — Price 195 pesetas".

So a pair of black full-foot fins with open toes and smooth blades. Closed-heel fins like these were considered the best fins for Mediterranean diving because their foot pockets offered optimum wearing comfort and their offset blades the most desirable effort to performance ratio.

Other Clasal Cisne imagery:

That's all I have for Clasal, so I intend moving on to another Spanish manufacturer, perhaps Beltrán, some time midweek.
You know, DRW, this fin looks amazingly like the first pair of fins I bought in the early 1960s, which were marketed by Sportsways. They have the same look and blade type. I tried them out, and didn’t like them at all. So I took them back to the dive shop, and bought instead a pair of Duck Feet, that I used for many years thereafter.

SeaRat

You know, DRW, this fin looks amazingly like the first pair of fins I bought in the early 1960s, which were marketed by Sportsways. They have the same look and blade type. I tried them out, and didn’t like them at all. So I took them back to the dive shop, and bought instead a pair of Duck Feet, that I used for many years thereafter.

SeaRat
Possibly this Sportsways model, John?
1685940075402.png

I think retaining ring clamps had the fastening screw and nut at the top of the faceplate to show which side was up. Although some early masks look like a porthole they do have a top and bottom especially the closer the mask’s faceplate sits to the face. On most round masks top and bottom are obvious with the contours of the skirt that have to run around the brow and then follow a contour line as they wrap below the cheek bones and under the nose. Also there is nothing to then impede offering the snorkel up to your mouth when removing and replacing it on the surface to speak to someone between being slapped in the face by any surface chop. Masks that had triangular faceplates would need the screw and nut on top as that offers the straightest run of the clamp. I have not done it in decades but have replaced faceplates and it was always a bit of a fiddle to get the lens and clamp done up without the mask looking a bit askew on the rubber mask body. Once I had a brand new Espadon Compensator mask that had been somewhat carelessly assembled by the factory, it had a clip rather than a screw and it was quite a struggle to get it back together with everything all properly lined up. I used a nylon cord to create a clamp which I tightened up like a tourniquet to crush the rubber sitting under the metal mask band onto the faceplate which then accepted the bridging clip, released the tourniquet and everything clicked into place. Screw and nut clamp fastening was so much easier.

Thanks for the contributions to the thread, John and Pete.

On now to another mid-twentieth-century Spanish diving equipment company: Beltrán. Here is a translation of an article about the company founder:

THE UNDERWATER ADVENTURE IN MALLORCA: JOSÉ BELTRÁN ADELL
José Beltrán Adell, “Pep”, was one of the pioneers of underwater exploration in Spain and although he did not become as well-known as other characters in the guild, he undoubtedly made enough merits to occupy a decent place among them. This article aims to claim and disseminate its contribution to the history of diving and underwater fishing in our country. Most of the information in this article comes from José Beltrán himself, who still transmitted it to me in person many years ago. Memory sometimes plays bad passes and that is why perhaps a detailed analysis of this article reveals temporary inaccuracies or even facts and anecdotes that will never happen as they are told here, but that all of us who hear them from Pep’s mouth, We believed them and wished they were true. Maybe even José Beltrán himself wanted it too.

I met Pep Beltrán when he was already old (about 76 years old) but his mind, his attitude and his energy were those of a twenties. A complex and fascinating personality also with some chiaroscuro but that harboured a great generosity. He spoke in an accelerated way, moving from Majorcan to Spanish and vice versa. His mind was often faster than his tongue and then naturally suppressed the prepositions and articles of his talk, as if he was in a hurry to transmit to his interlocutor everything he treasured in his privileged mind. He was a bohemian, restless and vital person who carried his grimy body without stopping from side to side (limping ostensibly due to the aftermath of a decompression accident) who travelled through numerous countries in search of more or less legendary treasures.

In the 80s he was in dealings with the Cuban government to try to collaborate in the location and recovery of wrecks in its waters. As a result of those visits to the island, he established strong ties of friendship with many Cubans and because of this, the last years of his life he devoted almost entirely to the task of collecting sanitary and school supplies, clothing, toys, etc. which he then sent to schools and hospitals in Cuba (many times paying the cost of his pocket) to help alleviate the difficult situation that was experienced in the Caribbean island.

The "BELTRAN" brand.
Pep Beltrán spent most of his life in Mallorca where he became a well-known character. We do not know much about his childhood and youth apart from the fact that his family was from the Mallorcan town of Bunyola, but from an early age, he felt a great attraction for that sea that was so close. It is not hard to imagine a young Pep in the 40s equipped with primitive diving lenses and a metal rod chasing fish along the Mallorcan coast.
1686143375299.png

Beltrán with a spectacular fishing catch in Majorcan waters
He soon stood out in this activity, becoming one of the great Majorcan submarine fishermen of his time (Vane Ivanovic met him in person and quotes him in his book "Modern Spearfishing"). Those who treated him at that time, highlight his speed underwater, great physical vigour, high apnea capacity and extreme efficiency with the spearfishing rifle.

Trying to unite his hobbies and his already overflowing creativity that led him to design and patent a huge amount of artefacts of all kinds (from anchor models to a desalination plant), in the early 50s he created a company called “Casa Beltrán” that during three decades was dedicated to manufacturing underwater fishing gear, diving equipment and various nautical accessories. Beltran is also the first worldwide patent registered for a pneumatic speargun.
1686143417678.png

Some patents of José Beltrán (1955/1974)

He started using goggle and fin moulds from another Spanish company (Parra), but it did not take long to create his own designs. Located in the neighbourhood of El Molinar de Palma, in front of the beach of s'Areneta, in just over a year, the company grew considerably, employing a good number of workers in its workshops and becoming one of the most important businesses prosperous and known in the neighbourhood. In the factory, all the components and parts of the items that were subsequently put up for sale were manufactured: aluminium, lead, rubber, plastic ... everything was designed, melted and processed right there.

One of his most illustrious workers was our great underwater fishing champion José Amengual, also a neighbour of El Molinar, who was hired as an apprentice at age 14, when he was already beginning to excel in the activity that would give him worldwide fame. José Amengual has a great memory of the 3 years he spent working there and comments that Pep Beltrán was a very good boss for his employees, always willing to work as one in the factory.

Amengual account the following: At the end of the 50s, Beltrán had located the submerged remains of a plane that had fallen years ago to the sea at a point between Cabrera and Colonia Sant Jordi. For quite some time, Beltrán and the divers who worked with him, gradually scrapped the plane to take advantage of the aluminium parts of its fuselage. This material was cast in the El Molinar factory and later used to manufacture spearfishing rifles mainly. Another anecdote that Amengual remembers happened during the great storm of 1958 that hit the first line of houses in El Molinar. The sea arrived at that time a few meters from the houses of which they were separated by a block of stone blocks of Marés. The huge waves of the storm tore the blocks and threw them against the homes causing great damage. Amengual remembers how they were reinforcing the factory doors from the inside with everything they could find while they heard the huge pieces of Marés thrown by the force of the waves.

Also the great diver and cartoonist Arturo Pomar (another Majorcan pioneer in the world of diving), collaborated with José Beltrán in the design of many of his products, logos and advertising posters.
1686143496915.png

Advertising poster illustrated by Arturo Pomar

The Beltrán article continues...

At the El Molinar factory, José Beltrán installed a compressor (probably the first one for civil use on the island) to provide cargo service to the few Mallorcan divers who had bottles at the time.
Shortly afterwards he also opened a shop in Palma (Toys and Sports Beltrán) where he sold his products and was directed by his brother Manuel.

The Beltrán brand managed to gain a foothold in a market in which other national and international brands already firmly established, represented a tough competition.

Legendary Majorcan underwater fishing champions such as Mariano Bonet, Antonio Mairata, Bernardo Martí and Martín Pons among others, were sponsored by the Beltrán brand for years.

In the 60s, Beltrán aluminium pneumatic rifles became very popular among underwater fishermen for their quality and reliability, being copied without shame by other well-known brands. The few specimens that are preserved today are collector's items that reach high prices in the second-hand market. The El Molinar workshop “Casa Beltrán” closed at the beginning of the 80s, ending a golden age that featured several native brands of diving equipment and underwater fishing in Mallorca
1686143983112.png

Rubber ear protectors
1686144001957.png

Children’s weight belt
1686144029893.png

Different models of “Beltrán” pneumatic rifles
1686144050323.png

Beltrán diving knife model 1102

1686144112193.png

Paperweight with the brand logo

We shall start reviewing Beltrán diving masks at the weekend.

Thanks for the likes, John.

Typical Baltrán catalogues:
1686459468857.png

1686459572020.png
Each item of underwater equipment manufactured by Beltrán was given a number, not a product name. Today we shall take a look at the goggles made by the Spanish company, starting with model 1719:
1686459889724.png
These goggles have a metal connector between the eyepieces, which enables the spearfisherman wearing them to make adjustments for underwater vision correction.

Beltrán's other goggles were designated as model 1750:
1686460358827.png
Spanish: "Gafas natación, modelo de dos cristales n.° 1.750".
Rough translation: "Swimming goggles, two-lens model no. 1,750".

So these goggles were intended for surface swimming rather than underwater hunting, as they came with a rubber bridge between the eyepieces that could not be adjusted for correct submarine vision.

Beltrán model 1750 imagery:
1686460763851.png

1686460796949.png

1686460831094.png

1686460860208.png
This model was later dubbed the "Calapi". Cala Pi is the earliest known settlement in Mallorca:
jana-meerman-cala-pi-mallorca-8.jpg

We move on to Beltrán dive masks some time midweek.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom