Basic gear from mid-twentieth-century Italy: Other manufacturers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And finally, some auction images of an actual Technisub Kiss mask:
1646202273813.jpeg

1646202292348.jpeg

1646202311429.jpeg

1646202329974.jpeg

1646202346575.jpeg

1646202365155.jpeg

1646202380149.jpeg

1646202422267.jpeg

And that is it for today. At the weekend we shall review the last two Technisub masks, namely the Alba and the Linea. Until them keep safe and stay well.

You will note on some of these masks like the Kiss that despite the shape and the ability to grab your hooter the faceplate is actually further away from your eyes so the width of view is less than it could be. By way of contrast on the Nova your eyelashes could brush the glass and this was also the case with the Prismatic as the glass was closer and your face fitted deeper into the mask. The giveaway feature is the length of rubber skirt projecting back from the frame and this is best assessed by looking down on a mask from above. Another variable is the inclination of the faceplate as some have it sloped back to give greater upwards vision, but with these you can forget about looking at your weight belt buckle!

E una maschera aderentissima,

Nova, which is the feminine form of the Italian adjective "novo", meaning "new".
I wonder if the Bella and the Nova use the feminine form simply because the Romance languages require adjectives to agree with the gender of the noun. We can see that "maschera" is a feminine word, because it takes the feminine definite article.

It reminds me of my rubber boots -- the kind worn by farmers in Latin America. The brand name is Llanera, which means plainswoman. I wondered, why a plainswoman rather than a plainsman; but it occurred to me that it may simply be because botas (boots) is a feminine noun.

I wonder if the Bella and the Nova use the feminine form simply because the Romance languages require adjectives to agree with the gender of the noun. We can see that "maschera" is a feminine word, because it takes the feminine definite article.

It reminds me of my rubber boots -- the kind worn by farmers in Latin America. The brand name is Llanera, which means plainswoman. I wondered, why a plainswoman rather than a plainsman; but it occurred to me that it may simply be because botas (boots) is a feminine noun.
That would also be my conclusion, WeRtheOcean. Nouns and their adjectives have to agree with one other in gender (masculine/feminine) and in number (singular/plural) within the Romance languages, including Italian, even when inanimate objects are involved.

Thank you for the postings, Pete and WeRtheOcean, and for the likes, Angelo.

Now for the last two Technisub diving masks, the Alba and the Linea. The Alba first, here in 1981:
1646557835959.jpeg
Italian: "ALBA 114100 - ALBA JUNIOR 115100. Elegante maschera con eccezionali doti di tenuta e di confort. Vetro temperato, cerchietto di nylon. Ampia visione e facilità di compensazione".
English: "ALBA 114100 - ALBA JUNIOR 115100. Fashionable mask, exceptionally comfortable and waterertight. Tempered glass and nylon ring. Wide field of vision and compensation facilities".
French: "ALBA 114100 - ALBA JUNIOR 115100. Masque élégant exceptionnel pour son étanchéité à l'eau et son confort. Verre trempé. Cercle en nylon. Grand champ visuel et facilité de compensation".
Spanish: "ALBA 114100 - ALBA JUNIOR 115100. Elegante mascara con excepcionales características de están cualidad y de confort. Vidrio templado. Abrazadera en nylon anche visibilidad y facilidad de compensación.

"Alba" is Italian for "dawn". This is a mask with a plastic frame, a nose pocket for ear-clearing, a kidney-shaped lens providing breadth of vision and a split strap for comfort and security.

And now for the Technisub "Linea" diving mask. "Linea" is Italian for "line" or "figure". Here is the model in 1980:
1646559835379.jpeg

And here in 1981:
1646559880589.jpeg
Italian: "LINEA 142100. La maschera Linea, l'ultimo modello tra le maschere Technisub viene prodotta con una nuova tecnologia costruttiva basata sull’impiego di una saldatura chimica. Ciò ha permesso la realizzazione di una struttura monoblocco, tale da definire una forma anatomica aderente al viso come una seconda pelle. Si è ridotto in questo modo il volume interno a valori minimi e nullo stesso tempo sono state esaltate le caratteristiche di visibilità, leggerezza robustezza. Le fibbie speciali sono libere di originarsi secondo la linea chi trazione del cinturino e consentono una regolazione istantanea a maschera indossata anche sott'acqua".
English: "LINEA 142100. Linea, the last model of the Technisub masks, is manufactured by means of a new technique based on a chemical soldering process, thereby achieving an enbloc configuration and an anatomical shape adhering to the diver's face like a second skin. In this manner, the inside volume of the mask is reduced to a bare minimum and its features of visibility, lightness and sturdiness are considerably enhanced. Specially designed buckles are free to pivot according to the line of traction of the strap and allow instantaneous adjustment even if worn under water".
French: "LINEA 142100. Le Masque Linea, le dernier modèle parmi les masques Tecnnisub est produit à l'aide d'une nouvelle technique basée sur l'emploi d'une soudure chimique qui permet de réaliser une structure monobloc de façon de déterminer une forme anatomique adhérente au visage comme une seconde peau. Le volume intérieur du masque est aussi réduit au minimum et ses caractéristiques de visibilité, légèreté et résistance sont exaltées. Les boucles spéciales sont libres de pivoter selon la ligne de traction de la sangle et permettent un réglage immédiat du masque porté sous l'eau".
Spanish: "LINEA 142100. La máscara Linea, el último modelo de las máscaras Technisub, se produce con una nueva técnica de construcción que se basa sobre el uso de una nueva soldadura química. Esto ha permitido le realización de un cuerpo de pieza única. De esta manera la máscara tiene una forma anotómica que adhiere a la cara como une segunda piel. Se ha reducido así el volumen interno a valores mínimos y al mismo tiempo se han evidenciado las características de visibilidad, ligereza y robusteza. Las habillas especiales son libres de orientarse según la línea de tracción de la cinturilla, permitiendo la regulación, instantánea también debajo del agua y a máscara ya puesta".

A twin-lens diving mask, therefore, with the emphasis on low internal volume and technological innovation, including the manufacturing process and the in-house designed buckle system.

Having come to the end of the Technisub mask range, I shall call it a day at this point, returning midweek to review Technisub snorkels. Until then, keep safe and stay well.

Having come to the end of the Technisub mask range, I shall call it a day at this point, returning midweek to review Technisub snorkels. Until then, keep safe and stay well.
I'll give you a like now since it's not easy for me to like a snorkel :)

Thank you for the likes, Angelo and Iowwall. And I'm grateful for the posting about snorkels, knowing how Scubaboard members are so divided on the subject.

As with diving masks, Technisub marketed a wide range of snorkels and it is difficult, if impossible, to distinguish between models made by Technisub and models carried by Technisub but made by its partner France's La Spirotechnique.

The first Technisub breathing tube for consideration is the "Atmos", a Greek word meaning "vapour" or "steam" most frequently found in combination with the word "sphere" in the word "atmosphere". Here is the Atmos snorkel in a 1964 issue of Mondo Sommerso:
1646833315316.jpeg
Italian: "ATMOS. Flusso unidirezionale che fornisca aria sempre pura - espulsione spontanea dell'acqua per gravità."
Rough translation: "ATMOS. Unidirectional flow providing always pure air - spontaneous expulsion of water by gravity".

Here it is in the 1965 Technisub caralogue:
1646833742146.jpeg
The caption begins in the same way as the previous one does, but goes on to say that the snorkel has been scientifically designed to ease breathing. Here is another image from the same year:
1646833916105.jpeg

I searched for a patent, drawing a blank despite Luigi Ferraro's record of filing and obtaining patents for his previous fin and mask designs. So far the only sources of information has been the terse catalogue entries posted above. Here is the snorkel in 1968:
1646834311786.jpeg
Italian: "ATMOS. Respirate aria fresca! Scientificamente studiato per facilitare la respirazione - con scarico dell'acqua per gravità - particolarmente indicato per l'osservazione - bicolore grigio-perla e nero. art. 801 - L. 1.500".
Rough translation: "ATMOS. Breathe fresh air! Scientifically designed to facilitate breathing - with water discharge by gravity - particularly suitable for observation - two-tone pearl grey and black. art. 801 - L. 1,500".

And in 1969:
1646834645752.jpeg
Italian: "ATMOS - respiratore a due vie per respirazione igienica - 802 - 1.500".
Rough translation: "ATMOS - two-way breathing tube for hygienic breathing - 802 - 1,500".

The Atmos snorkel did not survive the 1960s. Perhaps the design looked too unusual, too bulky or perhaps it did not work in the manner intended and described. Ferraro was certainly a miracle worker when he designed Rondine full-foot fins with open toes and inclined blades and low-volume, compensation-friendly Pinocchio masks, but he did have his "off-days" as we shall later see.

What an odd design. Is this supposed to lessen the apparent height of the breathing draw? Seems like CO2 buildup could be a problem.

Second Technisub snorkel of the day is the "Tuba", which also happens to be the French term for a breathing tube coined by the spearfishing Pulvénis brothers. Like the Atmos, the Tuba was created in 1963, but most likely emerged from the French La Spirotechnique stable:
spiro_1965-jpg.511740
The French caption tells us that this snorkel was created in 1963 and was a commercial success. This was an L-shaped design, considered an improvement on the traditional J-shape because there was less space for water to accumulate next to the mouthpiece. The side-mounted mouthpiece was described as a "clarinette" mouthpiece. Note the lanyard attached to the ring to be inserted between the tube and the mouthpiece. The lanyard was worn around the neck and was intended to provide extra security against snorkel loss.

Here is the snorkel in the Technisub catalogue of 1965:
1646836087142.jpeg
Italian: "Tuba - Completamente in cacciù - boccaglio speciale girevole - tubo flessibile - indispensabile accessorio per chi s'immerge con l'autoprespiratore - Art. 805-00".
Rough translation: "Tuba - Made entirely of rubber - special mouthpiece can rotate - flexible barrel - indispensable accessory for those who dive with the self-contained breathing apparatus - Art. 805-00".

So a replica of the Spiro snorkel with the exception of the lanyard. Here is the Tuba in 1969:
1646836799208.jpeg
Italian: TUBA. Il boccaglio originale francese la cui linea ha fatto scuola - con tubo in gomma vera semirigida. art. 805 - L. 700".
Rough translation: "TUBA. The original French snorkel whose outline sets a fashion - with semi-rigid black rubber barrel. art. 805 - L. 700".

The above confirms the French connection, whose L-shaped design many breathing tubes have adopted. Here it is in 1969:
1646837746153.jpeg
The caption tells us that the Tuba is a semi-hard rubber snorkel with an adjustable mouthpiece. By the way, the Italian noun "boccaglio" can signify the whole snorkel or just the mouthpiece. Which is meant depends on the context.

Back
Top Bottom