Basic gear from mid-twentieth-century France

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Godel_Fins.png

The above fragment is from an advertisement posted in the first message relating to Edouard Godel in this thread. The caption beneath the image lists three Godel fin models. Starting from the bottom, the "Commando" appears to be an old name for the stiff adjustable open-heel "Propuls Type G.E.R.S." military fin discussed in the last posting. The "Propuls" seems to be the original green soft fixed open-heel recreational fin popular with the Club Med crowd in the 1950s.

That leaves the "Beluga", named after the Arctic white whale, which I presume is the model showcased in the image. My attention was immediately drawn to the resemblance between the "Beluga" and the "Douglas" fin, which we have already reviewed:
big_artfichier_744410_3893247_201407033632595-jpg.505717.jpg

199422138-jpg.505718.jpg

2011121-jpg.505719.jpg

Both models have the same asymmetricality and the same number of ribs on the blade, leading me to hypothesise at least that they are one and the same.

So much for Edouard Godel, heir to the legacy of Louis de Corlieu, the modern inventor of swim fins. I should add that the Godel company also had patents with follow-up products for a weight belt, a set of spearguns and a range of scuba mouthpieces (below):
SMProducts_1960.png

We'll move on next time to another French diving edquipment brand. Beuchat may be the choice of subject. A bientôt !

Thanks for the information, Alex.:) It's a bit confusing because both the whale and the sturgeon are named "Beluga" in English, although they aren't related species:
Beluga whale - Wikipedia
Beluga (sturgeon) - Wikipedia

To make matters even more confusing, there's even a hairdressing salon called "Beluga" here in North East England:
8c00b29d3badf9b266470a08771bcd72.jpg

belugahair.co.uk - Welcome

One must now question where did Art (Brownie--Bud ) Brown obtain the concept and inspiration for the American Duck Feet fins.?

Interesting that the Ducks were produced just a few miles from my home- first in Laguna canyon and later in Huntington Beach where he sold the company to Ken Norris Pacific Molded Products Company. who sold to F W Voit Co.

The non adjustable Duck Feet fins were the standard of the serious American diver from the early 1950s to the introduction of the Jet fins in the early 1960s-- which introduced the adjustment concept to American fins .

All appear to be distant Cousins - or as is often stated in the colonies Kissing Cousins --

Sam Miller, 111

Right, let's move on to Beuchat. Unlike the French firms whose equipment has already been reviewed in this thread, this company is still in business in France.

Here is a potted history of Beuchat from Wikipedia: The company was founded in 1934 by Mr. Georges Beuchat, descendant of a Swiss watchmaking family. Georges Beuchat was an underwater pioneer and the co-founder of the French Underwater Federation in 1948. During its 75 year history, the company has gone by several different names such as: "Pêche Sport", "Beuchat", "Beuchat Sub" and "Beuchat International". Georges Beuchat sold the company in 1982 to the Alvarez de Toledo family and is now owned by the Margnat family who took over in 2002. Beuchat is an international company. From the outset Georges Beuchat branched beyond France and began to sell product worldwide. In the 70’s he created the Beuchat swordfish logo, which can still be found on every product.

And here is a timeline (1940s to 1970s) of Beuchat innovations from the same source at Beuchat - Wikipedia:
  • 1947: Tarzan Speargun
  • 1948: Surface Buoy
  • 1950: Tarzan camera housing
  • 1950: Tarzan Calf cover
  • 1953: 1st Isothermic wetsuit
  • 1958: Compensator (single-window mask)
  • 1960: Espadon nervure fins
  • 1963: Tarzan wetsuit
  • 1964: Jetfins (1st vented fins. 100,000 units sold in the first few years)
  • 1964: Souplair regulator release
  • 1975: Marlin speargun
I've been exploring the Web for Beuchat patents and there's so much more to admire there than Jetfins alone. For example, I wonder how many people are aware that Georges Beuchat and associate Pierre Malaval patented a foam-rubber "isothermic" suit for fishing and diving purposes (drawings below):
SuitPatent.jpg

This patent was published as early as 24 April 1951. Though technically a drysuit because of the watertight seals, the text makes clear that the suit is designed to retain its warmth even after being punctured because the foam-rubber material will be especially tailored to fit the body closely and so prevent water leaking in from circulating and reducing body warmth. On the European side of the pond, wetsuit technology developed independently of the use of neoprene for many years.
Image1.jpg

Let's focus today on Beuchat diving masks. We'll start with another of Beuchat's patents (drawing below):
SplitStrapPatent.jpg

Yes, the split strap for the diving mask. A small step, perhaps, but a useful one nevertheless and widely adopted around the world. And now for the Beuchat Panoramique mask.

Beuchat Panoramique diving mask
Panoramique.jpg
This mask claims to increase the field of vision by having a narrower skirt at the top so that the mask sits at an angle on the face. The caption promises increasing visibility with increasing depth. The second model in the image above incorporates a drain valve. Both came with a split strap.

Second Beuchat diving mask of the day is the Compensator model and it too came with a patent (drawing below):
Compensator_Patent.jpg

This patent appeared in 1960. And here's the literature accompanying the resulting commercial product.

Beuchat Compensator diving mask

Compensator_Espadon_1.jpg

Compensator_Espadon_2.jpg

A closer look at the basic model:
Ref_110_Compensator.png

And another at the drain-valve version:
Ref_110S.png

Ref_110SP_Equivid.png

That's my lot for today. I'll return with more Beuchat masks soon. Certain classic Beuchat ovals are still available today, thanks to Beuchat's commitment to clients who appreciate classic and vintage designs. It's a shame more manufacturers won't do the same.

Next up for review are the plain models in the Beuchat range of diving masks around the 1950s and 1960s.

Beuchat Baby diving mask
Ref_113_BabyEspadon.png
adon-3-rond-Tarzan.JPG

Stock code 113. This model was intended for the 5-13 age group. Note the absence of a metal band to secure the lens retained in a groove within the rubber body of the mask.

Beuchat Junior diving mask
Ref_115_Junior.png

Stock code 115. This model was designed "pour dames et jeunes gens", i.e. "for ladies and young people". This description is often code for people with narrow faces. The metal band and top screw would have identified the mask as a more expensive, adult-looking mask than the "Baby" model.

Beuchat Standard diving mask
Ref_114_StandardEspadon.png

Ref_114_Standard.png

Stock code 114. This model featured "bords larges et souples", i.e. wide and flexible skirt edges. The description suggests an adult target user with a broader facial profile.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom