Bashing Each other, It is not necessary. I seem to have done it then I apologize.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
im pretty new to this thing and no one has said anything rude to me. but, dont worry about it if they did. they dont kno u and cant really judge u . they probably hav negative attitudes towards themselves and want to make other ppl feel negative ...BUT there are PLENTY of nice caring ppl on this board. i hav talked to some very caring ppl and i think u should stick with scubaboard and forget about the rude ones

I'm very new to this board. I see a lot of rudness on this board. "thick skinned" necessarily means to ignore this type of stuff. I'm sure many of you never notice it any more. Nasty comments about peoples abilty or what they don't know. Isn't this what this board is for, Information?!! It's interesting but it seems that this board is the only place involved with scuba where there are people who expect you to START OFF being great at something.
This board is also full of cliques who waste peoples time having conversations about personal things over peoples questions. 'thread jacking'... it's a cute name for people being di*ks. Pick up the phone . If you're too stupid to know how to politely take part in the current conversation or too ignorant to keep your mouth shut, then maybe you should be banned from this site.
Most people on this board are VERY nice and helpful and know when they should be firm with opinions, especially if it concerns safety. I think that is actually admirable, to take the chance of possibly coming off rude because you think that some strangers safety is in jepordy. Caring. This though is not what i think most people are calling rude behavior.
This all being said i guess some infant will start talking about what they're going to do this weekend on this thread.

How does commenting on your grammar and telling a person that they are stupid or an idiot and bashing their friends and dive exp. publicly constructive? I have never been unsafe not one time, in fact, when I dive with buddies I am very anal to safety and paranoid to make sure everything is just right. I never talk to people the way I have been spoken to here on other strings.

jewelrox1:
im pretty new to this thing and no one has said anything rude to me. but, dont worry about it if they did. they dont kno u and cant really judge u . they probably hav negative attitudes towards themselves and want to make other ppl feel negative ...BUT there are PLENTY of nice caring ppl on this board. i hav talked to some very caring ppl and i think u should stick with scubaboard and forget about the rude ones

Thank you so much. I hope you never do either but watch you might get your grammar and spelling bashed when they run out of things to gripe at you about, like I did about 5 times in the same string.

scubarama:
I'm very new to this board. I see a lot of rudness on this board. "thick skinned" necessarily means to ignore this type of stuff. I'm sure many of you never notice it any more. Nasty comments about peoples abilty or what they don't know. Isn't this what this board is for, Information?!! It's interesting but it seems that this board is the only place involved with scuba where there are people who expect you to START OFF being great at something.
This board is also full of cliques who waste peoples time having conversations about personal things over peoples questions. 'thread jacking'... it's a cute name for people being di*ks. Pick up the phone . If you're too stupid to know how to politely take part in the current conversation or too ignorant to keep your mouth shut, then maybe you should be banned from this site.
Most people on this board are VERY nice and helpful and know when they should be firm with opinions, especially if it concerns safety. I think that is actually admirable, to take the chance of possibly coming off rude because you think that some strangers safety is in jepordy. Caring. This though is not what i think most people are calling rude behavior.
This all being said i guess some infant will start talking about what they're going to do this weekend on this thread.

Thank you very much. I think that there are people who would be better off not saying anything at all to others. If they can't find a way to say it in a constructive nicer way I wish they would just shut up.

Phish-phood:
I read through the whole thread about bouyancy control and to be honest what struck me the most was the attitude of the author. What started out as a constructive thread with some good advice and some genuine concerns voiced as to the wisdom of rushing through courses turned into a slightly bad tempered affair and from what I could see most of this was due to the defensive nature of the postings made by the author. Confidence when diving is a great thing, as is the enthusiasm the author clearly has for the sport. There is a very fine line between confidence and cockiness however and to my eyes there seemed to be a slight cockiness about some of the postings which will immediately get the backs up of some of the more experienced divers. Perhaps rather than getting so defensive and simple, thank you for your concerns I have taken them on board would have sufficed.

I have only 60 odd dives and I have started my DM training. I was asked recently when I planned on finishing it and my response was somewhere along the lines of 'I have no idea' I have 101 things that I want to do first before I finish because I want to be as useful a DM as I can. I want to do a wreck/cave diving course and learn the basics of line laying, overhead environment diving etc. I want to do a Nitrox course and I want to understand and appreciate the advantages/disadvantages so that when a student asks me I can explain. I want to map more than one dive site and I don't want it to be the inland site that I do most of my training in and could map with my eyes closed. I want to do bad viz and no viz dives and learn how to deal with them I took a chamber ride recently, not because I had to but because I wanted to, to see what it was like and now I know and now I can tell students. I will finish my DM course but people who started with me will probably be long finished by that time, but I don't mind I'm in no hurry!

But that's just my opinion and everyone is free to agree, disagree, partially agree or tell me I'm rubbish. :wink:

You are right I did get on the defensive and try to defend skills I have that they can't see. I started responding back in an angry manner because very few people were actually helping me and I was wrong to start getting rude with the jerks. They aren't worth my time and regardless of what their opinions are and how that they may help me, I proably will never listen to them. There were several people who responded with very helpful suggestions and I very much appreciate them. Thank you for your comments. I will keep your advice in mind in later strings.

MSilvia:
I haven't read the other threads you're referring to, but if you've only been diving actively since Sept (as it says in your profile), and you're still not confidant in your bouyancy skills, I can see where your decision to persue DM certification might worry some folks.

If you aren't in control of your own diving, how can you expect to help other divers?

I am confident in my bouyance skills, which is where the question come from. I wanted to know if new equipment, or my wetsuit might be counting for my new bouyance problem at the surface. If this was the consensus, which was the opinion I was off, then how would be the best way to figure out the weighting issue for the new suit and equipment quickly?

beachdivequeenbelam:
I am confident in my bouyance skills, which is where the question come from. I wanted to know if new equipment, or my wetsuit might be counting for my new bouyance problem at the surface. If this was the consensus, which was the opinion I was off, then how would be the best way to figure out the weighting issue for the new suit and equipment quickly?

You *should* have learned to do a "bouyancy check" in your OW class.

Hank49:
DM, how I was basically a foll and would look like an idiiot in front of anyone I dive with, how basically I shouldn't be diving and learning to get better by becoming a DM and Instructor someday

I read the posts you're referring to..."becoming a dive master too soon". I admire your spirit and desire. You'll probably make a very good DM/Instructor because of your desire to learn. And, the number of dives is important but not the "be all end all" measuring stick. A diver with 50 or even 100 dives isn't necesarrily better than a diver with only 25. Some just learn faster and are more experienced and comfortable in water.....say, someone who grew up in Hawaii surfing and skin diving his/her whole life with only 20 dives (but, in open ocean) compared to someone who grew up in Wyoming (no offense to anyone from there) whose only experience in the water was to do the dive course and dive, but has 100 dives in quarries etc etc. I know who I would rather dive with in strong tidal current or rough water.....
I got blasted a bit for admitting to deep air diving. Never mind those folks. Don't let them bum you out. Just dive and have fun. Hank

Thank you Hank

chickdiver:
I am a 5'3" 135lb female technical dive instructor. I have not read any of your other threads, but this particular post caught my eye. With your limited experience you have NO BIUSINESS WHATSOEVER pursueing anything beyond Rescue at this point. Your goal should be to nail the basics (ie bouyancy control) and gain experience and a solid understanding of what you are doing. Classes to not make experience, DIVING, under varied environments and with different buddies builds expereince, and there is no substitute for it. As for being made to rescue "linebacker looking guys" in your Rescue class, look around you in any class you are in- what is the majority of the population? Perhaps people bigger than you? As a diver, and especially as a DM or Instructor you will be responsible for many people larger than you, you'd better know how and be capable of performing a rescue and an egress with them, otherwise you have NO BUSINESS BEING THERE.

A word of advice- stop whining about everything and people wont come off so hard on you. Sorry if you dislike my particular tone, but I stopped sugarcoating things long ago.

Please read the comment I made early today on this string. ANyway besides that, I wanted to know what it is like to be a tech diver for you. I thought I might get into that someday when my kids are grown and worried that the equipment might be too heavy. I would love to hear about your experiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom