Barracudas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

triciask:
LOL! Ok I'm not touching this post :)
It does show that barracuda are at least smart enough not to bite the mouth that feeds them – most of the time.

I will point out that my husband asked me to remove my wedding band after something (two somethings) buzzed us at the Sanctuary. Visibility in the 40s and the second dive off Hillsboro was in the 30s, so good advise.

Mid May, while diving Coz, we ran into several baracuda during one dive. I looked to the side and saw one close enough to touch. He wasn't agressive so I slowly drifted away. I then noticed that there were 5 or 6 in a line like a train. The one that I was closest to was in the lead and had a hook and a 12" steel leeder hanging from his mouth.

Ive come across barracuda in various places and never once had a problem with them and that includes at night. I dont spear fish and operate a no-touch policy with marine life in general which may help but i havent had a single occasion where ive even got slightly concerned about the behaviour of one.

I wear a silver pendant all the time (and have for over 20 years). They take no notice of it. The shiny objects story is a myth. If you have a shiny object that's hanging the the water well away from any divers, they might go for it.

Go ahead and try to pet one, I'll bet you can't do it. I've only ever been able to touch 3 and I've tried thousands of times.

Hi trisha,

so far the consensus is be smart, be safe, and avoid possible interactions by keeping shiny materials off of you. Thanks, Tricia

Trisha:
I will point out that my husband asked me to remove my wedding band after something (two somethings) buzzed us at the Sanctuary. Visibility in the 40s and the second dive off Hillsboro was in the 30s, so good advise.

What i'm realizing is that barracudas are really not shy at all. They are curious.
I was watching footage of some Barracuda the other day and my thought was as that line straight out of Jurassiac Park " You can see them thinking"

That alone is enough to stay away...at least for me.

Thanks for sharing,
Tyme

fmw625:
Mid May, while diving Coz, we ran into several baracuda during one dive. I looked to the side and saw one close enough to touch. He wasn't agressive so I slowly drifted away. I then noticed that there were 5 or 6 in a line like a train. The one that I was closest to was in the lead and had a hook and a 12" steel leeder hanging from his mouth.

Excellent Policy - Better to be safe than sorry! Respect nature and it will respect you back

Thanks for sharing.

String:
I dont spear fish and operate a no-touch policy with marine life

Hi Walter,

Whether a myth or not, I think I would rather not wear anything shiny, than to maybe provoke overly curious Barracudas. And one thing is for sure....I would never try to pet one. I just assume look at them an all their majesty. They are stunning to look.

Thanks,
Tyme

Walter:
I wear a silver pendant all the time (and have for over 20 years). They take no notice of it. The shiny objects story is a myth. If you have a shiny object that's hanging the the water well away from any divers, they might go for it.

Go ahead and try to pet one, I'll bet you can't do it. I've only ever been able to touch 3 and I've tried thousands of times.

Or maybe barracuda are like magpies, always looking for something to impress the hatchlings....
"Hey, Honey, guess what I brought back from the back reef today? It'll look nifty next to that shiny medal your father gave us for our anniversary... no, Junior, we can't keep the finger in your room...."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom