Barracuda, White-spotted Filefish & ? Grunt in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drrich2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I think this is a school of juvenile barracuda, but once saw a shot of some wahoo that gave me the impression it's possible to confuse the two. Working on a Blurb.com 'coffee table book' of a trip & want to get the names right.

IMG_0731.jpg

This, I believe, is a white-spotted filefish (I know they can turn their spots off and on), but Googling shows some fish alleged to be orange-spotted filefish look a lot like this (and some look hardly anything at all like it).

IMG_7172.jpg

And this looks to be a school of some sort of grunts. I don't know the species; aside from French, Blue-striped and maybe School Masters, not up on these guys. Coloration reminded me a bit of the black margate, but they don't quite look like those.

IMG_7212.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Richard.

P.S.: We dove Palancar Gardens and Santa Rosa in Cozumel.

Top Pic: Looks like Southern Sennet or Guaguanche.
Middle: Whitespotted Filefish in Orange Phase
Bottom: White Margate

Lisa

Richard, if you like looking a pictures of pretty fish with the names attached, I definitely recommend Paul Humann and Ned DeLoach's Reef Fish Identification series. They are well done and interesting, especially to us fish :dork2:

Lisa

Back
Top Bottom