Barge beached in Sipadan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure if this is an accident: if the building supplies were meant for Sipadan then theres no way they could unload excavators, sand, gravel etc using the small wooden jetties. Also - the barge is well and truly beached, parallel to the water line and placed neatly between two jetties: where it needs to be for unloading. It looks like its been pushed there by the tug in the picture.

I would be surprised if a barge that size could be placed so neatly up on the beach by wind - rather than becoming stuck on the shallow coral. I also can't see how you could anchor a barge offshore in the first place for it later to break free: from memory the wall drops to below 100 metres/300 feet.

Until there is a separate report available all this remains just speculation...

Cheers,
Rohan.

I'd be curious to know what they were planning on building there...

maybe concrete machine gun bunkers for the Malaysian military post there? :wink:

hiddenaughty:
check this news on New Sabah Times May 18, 2006 : http://www.newsabahtimes.com.my/local1.htm

Oh I love it... they are thinking of closing the whole island now as a result of their own failure to monitor. Who are they trying to kid here.... you just want a new palace right?

"The damage is said to be substantial and as a result, we may even have to consider closing the island indefinitely to let the island rest and regenerate,” he said." - Deputy Chief Minister Tan Sri Chong Kah Kiat who is also Tourism, Culture and Environment Minister.

(flippant nationalistic comment self-censored due to prevalent sensibilities)

The island now needs time to rest. Besides, it's better to build the resort with no one looking. Incredible. BTW, most Malaysians are just as appalled even if they aren't as surprised. Don't blame everyone. They know the idiots that run most of the country are as useless as frogs in a choir.

Batfish:
Just trying to realistic

while the size of the damage, etc etc might be small in comparison and may/may not horrendously effect your diving pleasure, there is still the matter of ensuring there is something to be done out of all this.

i do hope folks will go there. but i want more fervently that it continues to be a viable destination due to the mechanisms that preserves it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom