Barge beached in Sipadan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

exactly, lanun. I do not think the damage is the important factor here. More important to get to the bottom of the question - WHY was there a huge barge full of building material at Sipadan?

I have contacted the resorts that we deal with and I have already been in contact with Dr Alex Mustard who took the photos on the report in FiNS. I hope he will post here.

nature killer!Tragic incident in Sipadan

http://www.finsonline.com/blog/fins/?p=39#more-39

http://www.divemagazine.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=2779&v=2&sp=332743698750330478624

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/5/18/nation/14277082&sec=nat
Nat
Thursday May 18, 2006
KOTA KINABALU: A barge carrying construction materials and a bulldozer crashed into a coral reef at the internationally renowned diving haven of Pulau Sipadan, off Sabah’s east coast.

It “scraped clean thousands of years of nature’s delicate work,” according to a witness.

However, an official of a diving company said that it was “not the end of the world” and that the reef could be restored, as observed at similar reefs in Palau and the Maldives.

The incident on Monday was reported by diving enthusiasts Andrea and Antonella Ferrari, Fins magazine associate editors, in their blog (http:// www.finsonline.com/blog/fins/?p=39), posted a day later.

They said the barge, loaded with coarse gravel, sand, steel tubes and iron mesh, had been allowed to anchor at Sipadan’s legendary drop-off and was unloading its cargo when rough seas and strong winds resulted in it being “beached on the island like some monstrous whale.”

“In the process of being beached, the barge scraped clean thousands of years of nature’s delicate work between the old pier and Barracuda Point,” Andrea wrote in the blog.

He and his wife Antonella have been diving around Sabah’s east coast for 15 years and had also authored books on diving in Malaysia.

“The barge’s flat steel hull wiped the corals away, like a giant knife slicing through butter, leaving in its wake hundreds of square metres of unnaturally flat limestone and a veritable wall of coral and debris piled up on the beach.

“The sight of the destroyed coral reef left me with tears of rage and frustration,” said Andrea.

However, Clement Lee, managing director of Borneo Divers, a company taking divers to Sipadan, said: “Though the corals have been damaged it is not the end of the world. They can be restored.”

He added that similar reefs in Palau and the Maldives that were severely damaged during El Nino in 1997 were now almost back to normal, thanks to restoration efforts

That's awful......:sad:

Lol.... so someone finally admitted it!!!

The authorities have approved the construction activities on the island... and even gave permission for a construction boat to dock on the island.

Some dive ops think that the weight of the barge on the beach (which has not been recovered since the weekend) will cause the collapse of the underwater caves in the island, including Turtle Cavern. What are they doing about this? Why isn't the barge removed even after 5 days?

And get this people, the Minister may order the closure of Sipadan to the public if the concerned people (ie us divers) keeps exaggerating.
http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=198240

extend of damage yet to be access by the qualified. But , will the authorities get the qualified to access the damage in the 1st place ?

Simmer down guys. Are we not trained to Stop, Breathe, Think, Act?

On that basis I wouldn't fancy buddying up with Jason Ooi.:11:

What has happened is bad - no doubt... and someone should be made to pay but as anyone who knows Sipadan or reads the reports carefully then you will see that, and I quote:

< On Monday and Tuesday, the barge was ferrying building material and equipment to the island and damaged a section of coral near three popular dive sites: the "Drop-off", "Barracuda Point" and "Turtle Cavern".>

Key phrase to quell the sensationalism everyone seems to favour- "a section of coral near three popular dive sites"

Near - not on. A section of coral - not the whole island.

I will bet that very few can honestly state they have dived that very area. I have been 6 times to dive Sipadan and never went to that spot - why? Because it is completely unremarkable.

So yes it was tragic that such a stupid act could cause such damage to nature's delicate artwork but is Sipadan going to close? - Of course not.
Is Sipadan ruined? - Don't be daft.
Will any of the dive sites you have visited in Sipadan look any different in any way? - Not one iota.

Saying it is ruined and that you wouldn't go there now is like saying you wouldn't sleep with Angelina Jolie because she broke her fourth metatarsal.

I don't mean to downplay the seriousness of the incident (I would happliy lynch those responsible) but we must also be measured in our assessment of what the consequences of it will be.

Back
Top Bottom