Bare Velocity Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slkay

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was wondering if anybody has a bought a new Velocity 7/6mm recently, I just purchased one and was wondering if the suit stretches out over time? I bought a ML and it is a little tight across the chest, I was told it will stretch out over a couple of dives. I was thinking of returning it and getting a L but I am concerned it might stretch over time. I was also told by a local shop that wetsuits will shrink over-time as the they dry-out.

Any thoughts?

I just sent a note to bare-wetsuits.com and this was their reply,

"The wet suit should be a bit snug but not overly tight when you are wearing it, you will find in time that the suit will give as well with normal wear, so I guess the judgement call is yours on how snug you are wanting to wear it."

It appears to me that... yes, the suit will give over time allowing for extra comfort around your chest. I've experianced that with plenty of suits. However if you leave the suits out in the sun to dry, then tend to loose their flexibility and appear as if they have shrunk, they don't really shrink, the neoprene just gets really ridged. So keep them out of the sun.

Hope this helps... have fun diving!

I have a velocity 7/6 along with a 5mm hood. I can't speak about the 7/6 suit, as it has fit comfortably even from the start. However, I did find my hood a little too tight in areas on my first dive, but after a few dives, it did stretch out nicely to the point where it's very comfortable.

Also, do you know what your chest size is?

If it helps you exhale I would seriously consider going up a size.

Your mobility in the suit will improve when it's all wet inside. In fact a Velocity should feel non existent. I have an older 5/4 and it's a swell suit. Neoprene will modify with age. For one thing it will stiffen. With deep dives it will compress over time and the flattening may present itself as a slight stretcing but I would not count on that to get you to a good fit.

Other than no breathing resistance can you extend your arms straight up, put hands on opposing shoulders and touch your toes ( as well as in your swimsuit) without feeling like the rubber band man? I'd go up a size if any of these are a problem.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom