Bare Velocity 7/6 or Seaquest Isoflex 654?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

codecruncher

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking for some opinions here.

LDS has Seaquest Isoflex 654 jumpsuits for $199 on sale. They seem really nice - internal gaskets halfway up on arms/legs, lots of skin-in spots - esp on the back zip, etc. 6.5mm torso, 5mm arms/lower legs, and 4mm in just one or two high flex points (back of knee). Note that this is not the latest Seaquest X-Flex which is even more stretchier I guess. $329 "regular" price.
http://www.aqualung.com/products/isoflex_654.html

Other consideration is a Bare 7/6 Velocity from scubatoys probably. $215 or so and they seem pretty easy to deal with if the suit doesn't fit and needs to be exchanged a size.

Wisconsin lake and quarry diving. Not much beyond 60' probably, but there are thermoclines for sure. I'd like to be comfy down to 50F or even upper 40Fs if possible.

I like the idea of the flex of the Seaquest and figure if I'm cold in either one, I'd add my 2mm shorty underneath or get a hooded vest (maybe even the Bare Artic 7mm step-in vest which would add warmth around the thighs/crotch vs. a shorter hooded vest). I already have a separate 7/5 hood which could work with the shorty underneath.

So the big question is:

Will the diff of 6 vs 5 on my arms and lower legs be noticeable? I can't really add layers there easily and that seems to be the key diff between the suits. I'm leaning the Seaquest/LDS route, but am unexperienced.

IMHO if its mid 50s you will be cold in a wetsuit. 40s and you better be in a dry suit or your going to come out blue :) i would say that you wont notice the arms and legs that much but a hood is must. Good combo would be the hooded vest and either suit. Yes you will find people who can dive almost naked in cold water and be fine but if you are normal you might want to think about a drysuit..........

Bill

I don't think your Wisconsin Lakes are too different than my Maine lakes. If so you are darned right there are thermoclines. I can find myself in the low/mid 40s at 60 feet on the warmest days of summer. That's after leaving suirface water in the upper 70sF. That said I make those dives with nothing less that my Bare Arctic 7mm and a hooded vest. Which hooded vest is a trad-off with the warmer water temperatires closer to the surface. I don't like to get uncomfortably hot starting or ending the dive either. Flex and confort are excellent even in the 7mm Arctic.

The dives we have made into these cold water have been relatively short visits and we were fine diving wet. For prolonged exposure I like to end wet diving at 50F. YMMV

Don't short sheet your arms with thin rubber. They are stationay and chill the easiest. Warm arms are a big contributor to warm hands.

pete

I agree with Spectrum, you will need to get a hood to go with the 7/6 Bare suit. I lean more towards Bare... It is 7mm in the torso and 6mm in the extremities, I think it woudl be plenty warm for the water you'll be in. I have heard nothing but praise from most people in the industry. We sell it for $189.00. The seams and stitching seem really well put together.... just a great solid suit. If you need a live voice, give us a ring, or drop me a PM and we can work it all out. Take care and good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom