Bare Next-gen Pro Dry Suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The main thing is that this is a bilam suit. It has 2 layers vs a trilam which has three. It's just an extra layer of thickness to your suit which makes it better suited to the stresses of diving. But I'm not sure if it really makes much of a difference. Of course, I don't do any penetrations on wrecks and I'm careful on rocky surfaces. The nexgen does have rubber pads on the kness so you're covered there. If you're cautious with your suit, you should have no problems.

I don't think there is any difference in performance but like I said, the issue may be durability.

jiveturkey:
The main thing is that this is a bilam suit. It has 2 layers vs a trilam which has three. It's just an extra layer of thickness to your suit which makes it better suited to the stresses of diving.
A bilam is two layers, and a trilam is three layers.. however, it's not about any "extra layers," it's about what those layers are.

The Nexus is a layer of nylon and a layer of urethane. A trilam is two layer of nylon (or polyester) sandwiching a layer of *butyl rubber*. This rubber does not degrade or leak the way urethane does over time.

So far I have about 150 dives on my Nex-Gen. Sent back once for warranty work (few pinholes), and just had the seals done. No complaints at all. Great first suit and it'll be kept as a backup once I can afford a new one. Hard to beat this suit for the price.

For reference, I'm diving a DUI 400g for an undergarment and wouldn't go any less in cold waters.

I will be going with a tri-lam front entry for my next suit. Haven't decided which yet.

I'm glad to hear your suits are holding up. I only have about 10 dives on mine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom