Bare Nex-Gen or HD Trilam Pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I picked up a 2007 model BARE Nex-Gen for 450 from Larry over at scubatoys.com about three weeks back. You might want to give them a call. If you go with this suit you can always save money on the boots buy getting some Converse Chuck Taylor's (just order two sizes larger than normal) for 30 bucks rather than the over priced BARE Trek boots

i just ordered my hd tech dry suit.. which is the pro, but with a front entry.. and this is my thoughts on it... the trilam is extremly tough, so if u are going to be doing any wreck or cave i would suggest this. I would also suggest adding the boots to the suit if u went with the pro.. trek boots sound cool, but having built in boots saves a lot of time, and energy, plus cuts down on the cussing.. lol... i know trying to bend over and tie the laces to the boots and all was just not fun.. its not hard, but it is extra work that had to be done.. and frankly no thanks to extra work. thats just my .2 cents...:lotsalove:

I'll bet you a trilam or bilam would rip under the same conditions. That additional layer, unless it is kevlar, probably won't make a lot of difference!

Mike

Thanks so much for the feedback so far!! ... I still haven't completely made up my mind on this purchase though. My plan is to go into my LDS on Saturday morning to spend some time trying on both suits and really going over the features. To me it looks like a lot of the features are the same. I just can't figure out why the Trilam HD Pro is $700 more than the Nex-Gen. There must be something that makes it worth almost twice the price??

What I have decided is that:
- I would prefer built in boots (Trilam comes with them, they would have to be added to the Nex-Gen)
- I would like suspenders (Trilam comes with suspender tabs so easy to install, Nex-Gen requires glued in suspernder kit)
- Latex neck seal (Trilam is standard with neoprene but optional latex, Nex-Gen is standard with latex)
- Mobility and comfort are important (Both suits seem to be thin and allow for easy movement)
- Durability, our lakes have horrible visibility and there are lots of dead trees, rocks, etc... (Trilam is stronger but is it $700 stronger than the Nex-Gen)

At first I was leaning towards the much cheaper Nex-Gen. However, now I am leaning towards the Trilam because I don't want to buy the less expensive suit and miss out on useful features. I don't want to regret the purchase and have to buy a new suit a few years down the road. That would be way more expensive than getting the right suit from the start.

I am going to be involved with teaching new divers (through the Dive Master course). I have also decided that I am interested in ice diving and possibly pursuing aquatic search and rescue.

Any more thoughts?

I'll bet you a trilam or bilam would rip under the same conditions. That additional layer, unless it is kevlar, probably won't make a lot of difference!

Mike

Have you tried cordura? :D

Back
Top Bottom