Bare Nex-Gen or HD Trilam Pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

csnow

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've been diving for a few years now and I am looking at finally making the jump to a drysuit. The 2 suits that I have narrowed it down to right now are the Bare Nex-Gen or the Bare HD Trilam Pro. I am just starting my dive master course and am still not 100% sure what direction my diving will take over the next few years. However, I know that I want a drysuit that is going to be both versatile and durable, I live in Canada so most of what I dive is cold lakes and the pacific coast.

Is the Trilam worth the extra $600ish over the Nex-Gen? I don't want to cheap out and regret my purchase a few years down the road. But, I also don't want to spend a lot more money than I have to right now.

Drysuits | Scuba Drysuits at LeisurePro.com

Just don't tell your shop you bought from leisurepro :no:

Unless of course they are also offering you a deal. If so, you should be able to get a Pinnacle EvoII for less than leisurepro sells. I know down here the dealer price is only around $800 for an Evo II, and I do know 2 people that got them around that price(one works at a shop the other is a friend of an owner). My recommendation would be either the XCD2 and Pinnacle Evo II. I haven't seen the nex-gen or HD Trilam so I can't comment on them, but I can say the Pinnacle Evo II is a very nice suit. The XCD2 would be a good consideration because it's compressed neoprene and you will get a little more thermal insulation with that vs. a trilam which will give you zero insulation. Could be handy up there. The XCD2's I've seen have held up fine.

I have been diving the NexGen for 2 years, From 44 degrees up to 60+ it is comfortable and kept me warm on every dive. My only complaint is the rear entry.

Mike

I have been diving a bare nex gen for the last five years in the Great Lakes, Alaska, and the Inside Passage of SE Alaska and BC. It has served me well, although the stock undergarment they give you with the suit is not thick enough for our northern dives. Don;t know about the trilam, but I was impressed with Bare's customer service and quality. It seems like for the price of a nex gen you could buy a real good undergarment (I used an Andy's 35D) and still have a couple of hundred bucks. By the way, if you do get a nex gen, you may want to consider getting the optional suspenders. I had them installed when I had the seals replaced on my suit by Bare and regret not having done it earlier. I have no plans to get rid of my nexgen, but if I did I would certainly purchase another Bare drysuit.

Someone on here is selling a nextgen for $850 or so. Go check out the classfieds and you'll see it.

FWIW, I have a Bare XCD Tech Dry and love it. I'll second cove's comments on suspenders. I had a seal fixed on mine and I guess I would have had them put suspenders on there, had I known that was even possible.

I have been diving a Bare NexGen for about 5 years and have had no problems with it. For diving in Canada I would see if I could get thet CT200 underwear as part of a package rather than the T100 which it is often packaged with. In addition to suspenders I would have the pockets installed by Bare.

For diving in Canada I would see if I could get thet CT200 underwear as part of a package rather than the T100 which it is often packaged with.
For diving in Alaska, the T100 works fine. Never been cold.

For diving in Alaska, the T100 works fine. Never been cold.

Maybe it is with a compressed neoprene drysuit as your profile shows but it is certainly not enough for me with a bilam suit in very cold water. In Newfoundland with 30 degree water I had to use a thick fleece underneath the T100 to stop from freezing.

Maybe it is with a compressed neoprene drysuit as your profile shows but it is certainly not enough for me with a bilam suit in very cold water. In Newfoundland with 30 degree water I had to use a thick fleece underneath the T100 to stop from freezing.
Yeah, I think the neoprene has a little warmth to it that laminates may not have.

30 degree water?? Sheeeeeeeeiit.

Both of the suits that you are looking at have similar features. the Nex-Gen Pro Dry is a Bi laminate material (2 layers Pretty durable) and the BARE Trilam HD Pro Dry is a Trilaminate material (3 Layers more durable).

The Nex-Gen Pro Dry comes with a soft boot which is not ideal for walking on rocks or sharp surfaces, you would have to purchase the BARE Trek boot to go along with it $84.95 extra

The BARE Trilam HD Pro Dry comes with the BARE Boot (neoprene lined, Very buoyant) or you can get the compression-resistant Soft Boot plus the Trek Boot for an additional $84.95

Do you have any idea of what size suit you might need? If you don not fall into stock sizes then the suit selection will be easy. You would have to go with the BARE Trilam HD Pro Dry because you can get custom sizing.

BARE Nex-Gen Pro Dry

* LIFETIME GUARANTEE on seams and workmanship
* BARE's exclusive lightweight, waterproof Nex-Gen welded fabric
* Exclusive SWT construction
* Easy entry back zipper with internal protective zipper cover
* Screened graphics, reflective patch and low profile Si-Tech valves
* Bottleneck latex wrist and comfort-fit latex neck seals
* Delivered with compression-resistant Soft Boot

List Price: $1,049.95
DIVESeekers.com Price: $949.95
You Save $100.00!

BARE Trilam HD Pro Dry

*LIFETIME GUARANTEE on seams and workmanship
* Light but durable Cordura/Polyester/Butyl upper with a Cordura/Butyl lower
* Easy entry back zipper with internal protective zipper cover
* Premium reflective patches and low profile Si-Tech valves
* Bottleneck latex wrist and comfort-fit neoprene neck seals
* Delivered with BARE Boot, or compression-resistant Soft Boot
* Available in custom, made to measure sizing in North America

List Price: $1,799.95
DIVESeekers.com Price: $1,599.95
You Save $200.00!

As a Dive Professional for $100 more you can go with the BARE Trilam HD Tech Dry Front Zip, you might like the ability to get in and out of your suit by yourself!

Trilam HD Tech Dry
* LIFETIME GUARANTEE on seams and workmanship
* Durable Cordura nylon trilaminate throughout
* Self donning front entry drysuit with protective zipper cover
* Premium reflective patches and low profile Si-Tech valves
* Reinforced "critical-wear" seam points
* Bottleneck latex wrist and comfort-fit neoprene neck seals
* Delivered with BARE Boot, or compression-resistant Soft Boot
* Utilizes patented ATR system
* Available in custom, made to measure sizing in North America

List Price: $1,899.95
DIVESeekers.com Price: $1,699.95
You Save $200.00!

Oh yeah and 1 Option you should seriously consider is a "P" Valve. Dehydration is one of the biggest contributing factors the the onset of decompression sickness! Most Drysuit divers don't drink enough liquids because the don't want to have to pee. I promise you this will be the best money you ever spent. If you don't have the finances right now, it can be installed at a later date and it's easy enough to do yourself!

PLease let me know if you have any questions!

Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom