Bare HD Tech Trilam Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MedicDoug

Reaction score
I would like to buy a Bare HD Tech Trilam, but am getting confused with all the options, since I do not have a store near-by to try stuff on I am hesitant to buy. Does anyone have experience with the online stores and this particular suit? What set-up did you choose, soft sock, hard boot, neoprene seal or latex, suspenders or not? Do the new 2006 suits come with standard options like pockets and ankle gators? Any help would be great, Thanks.

Call www.divetank.com or scubatoys.com - they'll walk u through... I was extremely happy with divetank - very knowledgable - and sizing is guaranteed... Everyone on SB seems to like scubatoys too.

I just got one of these drysuits from Divetank.com. Divetank is a great dealer to work with. I got mine custom sized, but if you can fit into an "off the rack" size, then you'll be fine. It's a really nice suit and very well made. The HD Trilam comes with a built in gaiter system that seems to work really nicely. It basically has a zipper in the back of the calves that zips up and tightens the fabric around your lower legs. Pockets are not standard with the suit, but you can have them added for $40 or $50 at the time that you order it and they will be put on at the Bare factory for you. I got mine with the attached vulcanized rubber boots, which I am more than happy with. I don't really like the rock boots.

All in all, it's a really good and well built suit that should give you lots of years of diving as long as you take care of it.

Call Richard at Divetank and I'm sure that he'll take care of you. He has specials running on the drysuits all the time. He gave me a package deal on the drysuit and two sets of Bare undegarments and the price was EXCELLENT :D

I had Bare put a pocket on mine, and it's a pretty feeble pocket compared to the 5th Dimension bellow pocket I put on myself. It's smaller, has less room, and the velcro's already pulling out after 2 years. If I had it to do over, I'd do my own on both legs.

MedicDoug:
I would like to buy a Bare HD Tech Trilam, but am getting confused with all the options....

Been there/done that, man!

Just got my Trilam HD Tech Dry suit which I was also NOT able to try on before, because no one has "Med/Large Tall" in stock.

I would say - based on this size and my frame - that ther suits fit pretty much true to size as stated on the website.

In terms of options, I think the biggest thing to be sure about ahead of time is what seals you want - neoprene vs latex - and what boot/sock you want. It'd be a real pain to have change them out if you go wrong at the outset.

As to other options - hard to go wrong adding a leg pocket and suspenders, which I did. Consensus is you'll need a pocket - and the bellows with velcro flap seems to be the most useful. Suspenders are a no brainer.

I also added cuffrings mounted on the suit. After one pool session I'm starting to second guess that decision, but will leave them on for a while to see how it goes. But may remove them, and then just use the Quick-Clamps for when I want to use dry gloves.

Ray

I own one, love it, kick *** suit. have latex wrists and neck seals, with factory installed glove rings. Hardboots as well. really happy with it, and at theis time wouldn;t want anything different.

Sounds like you all love the suit, DiveTank sounds like a good store. My problem is the Large Tall, not stocked so I have to order anyway so I will add some options to the suit. I just need to decide between boot set ups, ughhh. I'll never know what I like till i dive it

RJP3:
...... be sure about ahead of time is what seals you want - neoprene vs latex - and what boot/sock you want. It'd be a real pain to have change them out....

Not really all that painfull. I bought a used Bare HD trilam suit and it had the "wrong" feet. Cost me about $100 to have them swapped out.

I have DUI rockboots that I use with the Bare suit. I'd recommend them 100% if you walk on rocks. If you do your dives off a boat you don't want them as fins work better if you have thin flexible socks. but the DUI boot are very good on uneven terrain when you are carrying 70 to 100 pounds of gear

MedicDoug:
I just need to decide between boot set ups, ughhh. I'll never know what I like till i dive it

What is between you and the water aftr you suit up? Is it "three steps then one "giant stride" and splash. Or is it a hike down a trail followed by a bolder scramble?

The hard boots are best for shore divers who need to cary gear to and from the dive site. Underwater don't couple as well to the feet if you have the rock boots and only XXL jets or Turtles fit over the rock boots

Also, it's not that bad getting the feet replaced if they ware through. They go on and off like wrist seals (with solvent and cement) and are a maintainance item.

I like the rock boots and this is my most common dive site
http://www.geocities.com/sandeaters/sites/losangeles/marineland
Everyone who dives here gets the boots.

Good question Chris I do not have to far to walk usually, Usually a giant stride,I might be able to use the soft sock and then find a good pair of "rock boots" once I figure out what I like and dislike, Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom