Bare Drysuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trevin, I was planning the BARE CD-4 and getting the cuff option installed at the factory, you mentioned flooding, did they not seat / mate-up correctly? - Now that you have them would you do it again?
By the way how cold is it out there?
Thanks!
JC

trevinkorea:
I too went with the Bare ATR HD (Self Donning) from Divetank.

It's a very well buit suit and I think it will stand up very well over time.

Mine was a custom fit. I think it only cost $150 extra so I thought I might as well do it right. With the 200 gram thinsolate undergarments (also Bare) I am toasty even in the Korea winter with a fully flooded suit.

It flooded only becuase I didn't get the gloves on right. It was my first dive with dry gloves. It is amazing how fast your suit can flood with just a tiny leak.

My mobility is good but the trilam does not give at all. I was used to a neoprene suit which has a lot of give in comparison. My last suit was a 6MM whites. It is also a good suit but I prefer my Bare.

If you do go with a bare be sure to get the suspenders, pockets and if you are interested in dry gloves, the installed cuff rings.

For the price Bare is a great suit with lots of options.

The only thing with the cuff rings is the gauntlet style wet gloves will not work well.

To answer your question more specifically, if I were purchasing a new suit, I would go with either a trilam or the XCD2 Tech. At depth I found the my 6MM got pretty cool after the neoprene had compressed and on the surface the suit remained wet and was therefore colder in the winter. With the trilam, I'm much warmer on the surface after a dive. I also like the self entry because sometimes you really need to get out of the suit quickly and it is good not to have to rely on a buddy to unzip you.

The one drawback to the Bare line is the knee pads seem a little short. I'm not sure if the offer a larger size but if I were to do it again I would definately go for longer ones.

I'd also recommend Divetank. Their service was great and they sent me two ov everything that I requested so I could try them on for size. They even offered to let me dive them first to see which I liked and then return what didn't work. I think supporting your LDS is a good idea but will they let you dive the gear before you purchase? It's always a good idea to see what it is like underwater. It feels very different than in the shop.

Sea View:
I was planning the BARE CD-4 and getting the cuff option installed at the factory
Don't forget the suspender option too - otherwise you'll just have to jury-rig something from Walmart and wind up looking a farmer on the dive boat when you unzip.

Right on - It's on my list of gotta have options, with cuffs / dry gloves, Belows pocket and knife pocket - Just need to settle on 2mm or 4mm (I know I don't want another baggy nylon shell) ...but I kinda like the "Jethro Clampet" look with the tied off rope belt & suspenders! :wink:

Tom Winters:
Don't forget the suspender option too - otherwise you'll just have to jury-rig something from Walmart and wind up looking a farmer on the dive boat when you unzip.

You're getting two pockets, right? Some of the DIR guys get the one bellows pocket and another flat one for slates and wet notes, but two bellows pockets makes more sense.
Also, I'm not wild about the knife pocket option. I like my knife mounted right in the center of my harness at the buckle so I can reach it with either hand easily.
You're diving in some pretty cold water, especially in the winter - there won't be a whole lot of difference between 2mm or 4mm, but if you on a liveaboard or dive in warmer climes, you might want the thinner suit.
But whatever suit you get, it's pretty much win/win.

Tom - Hadn't considered 2 pockets, maybe that's not a bad Idea. I was also considering a smaller knife on the Harness - kinda like that idea, but I found the Knife pocket has always been a good spot to stow other longer things like an Ab iron etc when I was diving Channel Islands - may not be an issue up here (No Abs or bugs - Crab & Octo).Also considering something like the Halcyon drysuit Gators http://www.halcyon.net/exposure/accessories01.shtml
Which would cover a leg located knife pocket anyway - Hmmm, interesting, maybe I need to re-think this a bit.

Tom Winters:
You're getting two pockets, right? Some of the DIR guys get the one bellows pocket and another flat one for slates and wet notes, but two bellows pockets makes more sense.
Also, I'm not wild about the knife pocket option. I like my knife mounted right in the center of my harness at the buckle so I can reach it with either hand easily.
You're diving in some pretty cold water, especially in the winter - there won't be a whole lot of difference between 2mm or 4mm, but if you on a liveaboard or dive in warmer climes, you might want the thinner suit.

By the way - I had similar thought on the 4mm - it may limit me to cold water only. Agreed on the 2mm, I think it'll be more versatile & Lighter easier to travel with ...I can also step up to the Self donning Bare XCD2
JC

Tom Winters:

I bought a D6 from Divetank, and it's a monster. Very warm, well built, Si Tech valves, and little need for undergarments. The only liability is that I need someone else to close the back zip, and if it's warm or sunny on the surface - prefferably at the last minute!

I didn't want to spend very much, and not only is the D6 pretty cheap in the first place, you don't really need anything other than swimming shorts and maybe a polyester T-Shirt to wear under it, so no money needed for undergarments. In a perfect world, I would have bought the 2 mil crushed Neo with a selection of thinsulate jumpers, but in a perfect world someone else would be paying off my credit card!

I am very comfortable without suspenders, but I am tall and skinny. My brother is just as tall but a bit wider than me, and wears a larger size. He finds that suspenders make his Henderson (3 mil?) dry suit much more comfortable.

The first BARE that I looked at was the D6, I thought it was a nicely made suit. It did look like it would be hot; especially standing around on deck or on the surface. The other concern was suit compression; I wondered if it would be difficult to get the consistent warmth "Dialed in" (guessing more exteme degree of heat on surface or chill at depth) especially on inconsistent dive profiles. I thought the D4 would be a good middle ground since it's precompressed 4mm; but since I'm spending a fairly good chunk of change on something that I want to last for 6-10 years it seems bettter to spend a few xtra hundred for front zip and the 2mm versatility (I Already have the thermal UWs).
I don't, know can't seem to make up my mind, I still like the D4 but prefer to get in and out (or open up to cool) by my self.

MrConclusion:
I bought a D6 from Divetank, and it's a monster. Very warm, well built, Si Tech valves, and little need for undergarments. The only liability is that I need someone else to close the back zip, and if it's warm or sunny on the surface - prefferably at the last minute!

I didn't want to spend very much, and not only is the D6 pretty cheap in the first place, you don't really need anything other than swimming shorts and maybe a polyester T-Shirt to wear under it, so no money needed for undergarments. In a perfect world, I would have bought the 2 mil crushed Neo with a selection of thinsulate jumpers, but in a perfect world someone else would be paying off my credit card!

I am very comfortable without suspenders, but I am tall and skinny. My brother is just as tall but a bit wider than me, and wears a larger size. He finds that suspenders make his Henderson (3 mil?) dry suit much more comfortable.

Hey, what water temperature are you talking about?
Is it below 40 F degree?

trevinkorea:
Mine was a custom fit. I think it only cost $150 extra so I thought I might as well do it right. With the 200 gram thinsolate undergarments (also Bare) I am toasty even in the Korea winter with a fully flooded suit.

Out here in Puget Sound it's usually in the low 40's (43F now) still waivering between 2mm & 4mm Neo suit. I'm pretty sure either one will be fine - just gotta decide Back zip again or go w/front zip.
JC
hoosier:
Hey, what water temperature are you talking about?
Is it below 40 F degree?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom