Bare Drysuit suited for me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I simply commented on a review where I had an assumption neoprene drysuits added some insulation and learned the Bare high density, crushed. compressed, neoprene really doesn't add much if any and also doesn't change buoyancy at depth due to compression, unlike thicker neoprene drysuits.

I understand the role of undergarments, really I do.

Thanks.
It's actually bleedin' obvious if you think about it (which we - regrettably - do way too seldom), but what provides insulation is stagnant gas. Unless we're talking about a Thermos bottle, in which case it's vacuum, but I'm digressing. Again.

Anyways, in case of normal or compressed neo drysuits, some of that gas is contained in the cells of the material. And the volume of that gas decreases with depth, so you lose insulation. Just as it is with a wetsuit. If you use a non-insulating drysuit, like trilam or crushed neoprene, you maintain the gas volume (and the insulation) by adding gas to the suit (and undergarments) as you descend to higher pressures.

Not sure about the cost of shipping a drysuit between WA and FL, but there's a guy named Steve Gamble in FL that is renowned for quality drysuit repairs.
I think he's now under "d3 diving" 352-474-6077.

If you don't want to give up on the old suit, it might be worth checking into the cost of mailing the suit to him.
https://www.localgymsandfitness.com/US/Newberry/1095581423803815/D3-Diving

Edit: I just realized that this is who @runsongas recommended in the very first reply. For some reason I thought he operated under "Gamble Scuba" rather than "D3 Diving". I must have had it wrong.

It doesn't look like it can be repaired. I took in in to the dive shop I bought it from and they said they could try but didn't think it would hold up. The hole is too large and very close to the seam. The seams are also a bit "crunchy" and delaminating.

Waiting to see what we can work out for a trade-in. I'm still undecided but am interested in either the Sentry Tech Dry or X-Mission Evolution.

Attachments

• Bare_SB_Inside_1000p.jpg
    Bare_SB_Inside_1000p.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 63
  • Bare_SB_Outside_1000p.jpg
    Bare_SB_Outside_1000p.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 55
That's unfortunate. Might be worth investing in a hard pelican case to store your new one when you get it. That should keep rodents out (I think).

Back
Top Bottom