bare dry suit questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rick00001967

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
i would have posted this in the Bare forum but it look slike there is very little chance of getting a reply there. i also tried calling them twice yesterday and was left on hold both times until the automated service finally disconnected me.
i have been toying with the idea for some time on getting a new suit. i currently use a bare nex gen pro. i know it is only an entry level suit but it has done its duty.
still up in the air whether to go to a front zip or stick with a rear zip. opinions ?? i have heard rear zips tend to last longer and that front zips are not as easy as it looks to get in and out of therefore they tend to fail sooner.

i have considered the HDC tech dry as it is on sale. but i am suspicious of the sale. perhaps they are discontinuing it ? i have read they had issues with these suits. opinions ?? i have never seen one in person.

i am also considering the trilam tech dry. my friend just bought one. blew the zipper out on his first trip. this has been corrected. i like the material. it is quite stretchy and flexible. seems like it would be ideal for me. only reason i would consider upgrading to he HDC is due to the sale. but is it really worth it ?

btw......can anyone tell me if in fact a brass zipper is still an avail option from bare for either the HDC or the Trilam ? and can anyone tell me if a "double" zipper is avail on either model ? the video on the bare web site shows he HDC with a double zip but i am wondering of the video is in fact the HDC Expedition model ?

thx for any help you can offer

If you can't get through to Bare, have you tried the shop you'd be buying it through?

Also, I have a drysuit with a front zip. I'd never do a back zip. But be aware that a brass zipper is a good bit bulkier than a plastic zip (I have a suit from a different manufacturer with a brass front zip).

I've got the HDC Tech expedition. I've had one problem with the zipper, and bare made good on it under the lifetime warranty. My experience has been just great. That said, my experience has all been through a local dive shop that sells bare. The shop measured me, and ordered the suit from bare. The shop dealt with bare when it was time to deal with the warranty issue. The shop even covered return shipping for me, which I'm sure was a decent amount since the suit is pretty sizable and heavy when packaged up.

If you've got a local bare dealer, you should go see them. Even if they don't stock the suit you're considering, they probably have a nice bare catalog for you to look at. They can definitely get you the details you want to know about zippers and such. As far as the drysuit zipper, I thought all drysuits had some kind of double zipper. Maybe I'm wrong, the one I've got now is the only drysuit I've ever used. All the folks I've dived with have a suit with two zippers, so I assumed that was standard.

I got mine from Sunshine Scuba 727-585-0938 in Largo, FL. USA. I've go no idea if he'll ship to Canada, though. You'll probably be better off finding a local shop.

I've got the HDC Tech expedition.
If you've got a local bare dealer, you should go see them. As far as the drysuit zipper, I thought all drysuits had some kind of double zipper. Maybe I'm wrong, the one I've got now is the only drysuit I've ever used. All the folks I've dived with have a suit with two zippers

i actually work for the local Bare dealer. and no they cannot answer my questions. i def prefer to speak to Bare myself anyway. just could not get through. better to get the info right from the horses mouth so to speak.
so you have the HDC not the HDC Expedition ? and yours has the double zip ? and you did not have to order that as an option ?
how do you like the material ? is it flexible with some stretch ? that is the one main thing i do not like about my nex gen. it is stiff and has zero stretch.

So you can't get in touch with them as a customer or as a dealer? Well this would be the deciding factor for me. When I had to deal with Bare for a warranty concern on my NexGen, I had an excellent experience (this was pre Huish). Now that Huish has taken over I have seen many posts about issues with their customer service.

i actually work for the local Bare dealer. and no they cannot answer my questions. i def prefer to speak to Bare myself anyway. just could not get through. better to get the info right from the horses mouth so to speak.
so you have the HDC not the HDC Expedition ? and yours has the double zip ? and you did not have to order that as an option ?
how do you like the material ? is it flexible with some stretch ? that is the one main thing i do not like about my nex gen. it is stiff and has zero stretch.
Expedition. I like the material, but it's not stretchy at all. There is a "telescoping torso" that allows you pretty good freedom of movement. I've never felt restricted in any movement by mine. However mine was a MTM, so that may be in part due to the good fit. Mine has a double zipper.

The HDC Tech has a double zipper according to the video on Bare's website for the product: HDC TECH DRY Trilaminate Drysuit | BARE Sports

Here's the video directly, they show the demonstrator zip and discuss both zippers on the HDC Tech Dry at the 0:43 second mark.

When I got mine, the price difference was only $250 - a drop in the bucket given the cost. For the $1000 difference now available, I'd probably have gone with the non expedition.

The only obvious difference I see from mine and the suit in the video is that the non expedition lacks pockets. Maybe I'm missing something, but then again the difference in MSRP on the two isn't very large.

Last edited:
So you can't get in touch with them as a customer or as a dealer? Well this would be the deciding factor for me. When I had to deal with Bare for a warranty concern on my NexGen, I had an excellent experience

correct. i have tried to call them and the store has tried to call them as well. the stroe tried calling three or 4 times yesterday. we believe that since huish is now distributing oceanic and hollis that perhaps they are being over run with calls from dealers with inquiries. usually we get great service from them.

Expedition. I like the material, but it's not stretchy at all.
The HDC Tech has a double zipper according to the video on Bare's website for the product: HDC TECH DRY Trilaminate Drysuit | BARE Sports
Here's the video directly, they show the demonstrator zip and discuss both zippers on the HDC Tech Dry at the 0:43 second mark.
/QUOTE]

thank you for the clarification on your suit model and for your comments about the material.

i have seen the video on the web site. my concern is that often what we see shown in advertising is not accurate. this happens to me all the time. you see a pic or video supposedly of the product you want to order and then when it comes in it is not the same. example....i once ordered a Brut regulator to use on a pony bottle. the ad showed the "old style" reg. this is what i wanted. i received the new style. when i called the seller they could not understand why i was upset as the one i was given was the "latest version". there were a number of reasons why i did not want the newest version and i would never have ordered it if i had known. anyway......i sent an email to huish for some answers. we will have to wait and see how long it takes to get a reply.

I had a Bare XCS2 Tech, which I just sold. It had a single (plastic) zipper. No 2nd zip. No flap covering the zip. The welting (? not sure if that's the right word) on either side of the zipper worked pretty well to cover the zipper once it was zipped shut.

I have a Waterproof D9X. It has a single plastic zipper. It has a velcroed flap that covers it.

So, having 2 zippers is something that really just depends on the specific suit. I have looked at less expensive suits that have no cover at all to protect the zipper.

My XCS2 was a diagonal front zip. It is a crushed neoprene suit and has a little stretch but no telescoping torso. Getting it over my head and on was always a little difficult.

My D9X is a diagonal front zip. It has a telescoping torso. Getting it on is very easy.

I have always been able to get both my suits on and myself fully geared up with no assistance. I really value that and always chuckle on the inside at any of my buddies that need help with zipping their drysuits shut. I just don't understand why anybody would choose a suit like that (one with a back zipper).

Huish and Bare make great products and we have been a dealer of theirs for many years. Recently I think they are just overworked and understaffed due to their recent expansion. I think it will get back to the great service we all expect, but it isn't there yet. If the shop you are dealing with has a rep, get them to call him, and hopefully he will be able to provide answers to you.

B

My XCS2 was a diagonal front zip. It is a crushed neoprene suit and has a little stretch but no telescoping torso. Getting it over my head and on was always a little difficult.

My D9X is a diagonal front zip. It has a telescoping torso. Getting it on is very easy.

I have always been able to get both my suits on and myself fully geared up with no assistance. I really value that and always chuckle on the inside at any of my buddies that need help with zipping their drysuits shut. I just don't understand why anybody would choose a suit like that (one with a back zipper).

i have seen the xcs2 in person. very nice. but i agree that not having a telescoping body would be an issue when donning.
having the ability to self-don the suit was my primary reason for looking at a front zip suit.
thx

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom