Bare Dry Suit & Jet Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rainer

Contributor
Reaction score
I just bought my first drysuit (Bare XCD2 Pro) and my old fins don't fit. I'd like to get SP Jets (or something similar if these don't fit-- Turtles, Rockets, etc). My LDS doesn't carry these, so I'm hoping SB members can suggest what size fin I'd need (if the Jets won't fit, please suggest sizes in other fins). I think the "size" of my *attached* boots are XL (the indication is quite faded!); they have the following measurements:

Length: 12"
Width" 5" (widest)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Turtles only come in one size. Big. (1/2 way inbetween the XL Jet and the XXL Jet)

Rainer:
I just bought my first drysuit (Bare XCD2 Pro) and my old fins don't fit. I'd like to get SP Jets (or something similar if these don't fit-- Turtles, Rockets, etc). My LDS doesn't carry these, so I'm hoping SB members can suggest what size fin I'd need (if the Jets won't fit, please suggest sizes in other fins). I think the "size" of my *attached* boots are XL (the indication is quite faded!); they have the following measurements:

Width" 5" (widest)

My borther and I have the same suit. He has the integrated boots and can "squeeze" into the XL Jet but I had to help him get one off yesterday. My Turtles are a much better fit. You will definitely want spring straps. Lots of options out there. I like the Innovative Scuba spring straps and they're only $35.

The XXL Jets are fairly monstrous... even on Treks so they will be a little bigger on the integrated boots.

Turtles are the way to go.

United has Turtles for about $130. I got mine for $50 from Mike's Scuba. He's the guy here on SB that's always liquidating LDS inventory. e-mail: scuby@cove.net

if you have a hard time getting your fins off your boots before going in.. spray some silicone spray on the inside of the foot pocket. works really well

Looks like the Turtles might be the way to go then (crlavoie I'm assuming your brother has XL boots?). How negative are the Turtles compared to the Jets? I'd be getting spring straps, so thanks for the suggestions ($35 sounds good). Also, crlavoie thanks for the thoughts on the dry suit a few weeks ago, as well as your suggestion for the DIY suspenders. I added them last night (5 minutes and about $3 for the goods from REI). Sure beats what Bare wanted...

Who is it on the board that has a web site with what size boot fits what size fin?? I know he is from Hawaii and has a picture with his beagle as an avatar. Kid___, I think. (fill in the blank) Edited: It is kidspot.

It is kidspot but I can't find the web page. At any rate I checked mine and and they are 2xl, size 11 shoe. I ended up with turtles. Jets wouldn't fit. They measure 12 1/2" by 5".

Rainer:
Looks like the Turtles might be the way to go then (crlavoie I'm assuming your brother has XL boots?). How negative are the Turtles compared to the Jets? I'd be getting spring straps, so thanks for the suggestions ($35 sounds good). Also, crlavoie thanks for the thoughts on the dry suit a few weeks ago, as well as your suggestion for the DIY suspenders. I added them last night (5 minutes and about $3 for the goods from REI). Sure beats what Bare wanted...

Yeah... Embarassing but there's actually 4 of us with the same suits. Two with attached boots and two with Treks. All of them are XL Boots. With that said:

- I have Treks / Turtles - Fits great, love'm.
- 1 guy has Treks/XXL Jets and likes them. He notes that they are slightly loose, but not bad.
- 1 guy has Attached Boots / XL Jets - He's very happy though they are little tight... still comfortable.
- 1 guy has Attached Boots / XL Twin Jets - I think he secretly wants Jets or Turtles.

I used to have kind of floaty feet but between the Turtles and re-distributing my weight, that problem is solved. Aside from that, I can not quantify the difference in bouyancy except to say that they will both sink like a rock.

Rainer:
I think the "size" of my *attached* boots are XL (the indication is quite faded!); they have the following measurements:

Width" 5" (widest)

My size 11 chuck taylor hi-tops measure 4" at the widest point and they were a snug fit with the XL jets, tighter than my wet boots. It's hard for me to imagine how someone could stuff a shoe that 5" wide into an XL jet, but apparently the friend of the poster above me does it on a regular basis - I doubt he can get them all the way in though. Anyway, I'm guessing the turtles would be best for you.

By the way, then length of the boots doesn't matter much, it's mostly about width and height.

Back
Top Bottom