Bare D6 Drysuit Q's...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Akito

Registered
Reaction score
I am currently looking at getting a drysuit. Originally I was intent on picking up a NexGen, but after being told its basically a glorified garbage bag I think I have decided on getting a neoprene drysuit. The next step up is the D6 which is the 7mm neoprene. Ideally I would love get the the trilam suit but the other hobbies (motorcycle) would get jealous.
I have been told that with the D6 I wouldn't really need any thick undergarments because it is pretty warm, but I would need aprox 10lbs more weight on me.
Now here are my concerns:
1. I wear 22 lbs with my 7mm two piece wetsuit now, all integrated. Will I really need 10 more lbs? I don't really want to have to wear a wieght belt. ( I could add 2x5lbs to my non ditchable trim pockets....)
2. In warmer water/weather ...as warm as the great lakes and quarries up here in Ontario get... will this suit be too hot?
3. If I get the xCD4 suit I imagine that I will have to wear more/warmer undergarments.. which of course adds more money that I have to spend now... is it that much better? Of course the pro's of the CD4 is that I theoritically will be wearing less weight and won't worry about overheating, but will have to spend more money on underwear for the ice diving.

I am purchasing a Sherwood Wisdom at the same time, which helps the LDS bring down the prices from list quite a bit. But of course it's still a big chunk of change for both.
whaddya all think?

I have a CD4 and only wear Micro fleece underwear that I got from Marks Work Wearhouse for about $40.00. It keeps me toasty down to about 45F degree water temp. Anything colder I only use 100ml underwear. Anything above 52F degrees you might get too hot ( I do ) depending on how fast you get cold. Can't answer about the weight because I use a bp/w when diving dry and a BC jacket when diving wet.

The D6 is a neoprene (Uncompressed) suit and is the next suit up the BARE line from the Nextgen in price. I think a lot of time neoprene suits get a raw deal, they are consired, bulky and overly buoyant. I used to have a Brooks neoprene drysuit (I don't know if they are still around) and I loved it. It was form fitting and I could where very little underneath and still stay warm. Because I could use less underwear it was no more buoyant than shell suits I have used since, plus if it flooded I would still get some warmth from from the suit. They do take forever to dry !!

Paul

Thanks for the info. I must admit I am leaning towards getting a NexGen again. I have been told that the D6 will be way to warm for the summer diving that I do. (70+) and perhaps even the CD4 will be to warm as well. Leaving the CD2 or the trilams.
I saw a couple of people using the nexgens' this weekend while diving and they had no complaints.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom