Bare coldwater wetsuits (Arctic/Artic SGS/Velocity)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StSomewhere

Contributor
Reaction score
Iowa, diving capital of... uh... well... uh... nev
I know this has been asked before, but I'm looking for recent opinions.

I need a semi-dry wetsuit for quarry diving. Preferably something cheaper than buying my own Caribbean island. Yes, I'd prefer to only dive tropical, but that's not working out so well right at the moment. :( And, no I'm not ready to make the jump to a drysuit just yet.

Can anyone with experience with the Bare 7mm wetsuit lines help me compare them?

The 7mm Arctic seems to be very reasonably priced and looks to be a semidry (calf, wrist, neck seals). Bulky as all getout?

The 7mm Arctic SGS is more expensive apparently because of the hyperstrech-type material? Is it less warm because of the stretchy material? Easier to get in and out of? Some tradeoff between the two?

I've never heard of the 7/6mm Velocity, so that seems to be new. I couldn't find any info as to how this would be different or warmer than the Arctic, maybe less bulky? No mention of the additional wrist/calf seals, etc.

What do you think, for those that have tried some combination of these is the SGS worth the extra dough? Is there anything I'm not considering that I should be?

Hello

It is a little confusing.

The Artic is Bare's basic 7mm suit. You are right it does not have the same stretch as the SGS or the glideskin interior. This make is a little harder to get on and off. However since Bare has so many sizes you should be able to get one that fits without needing the extra stretch.

The SGS has both the both the Glideskin (slippery neoprene) and the Hydrostrech. It's very easy to get on an off. Bare does not push this feature as much as Henderson because they pride themselves on having good suit patterns and a wide range of sizes so the Hydrostrech is not needed to make the suit fit, only to enhance the comfort and donning.

The Velocity 7/6 is a new suit that has the hydrostrech material, but only in the arms and the back. Price wise it is between the Artic and the SGS.

All of the suits should be equally as warm. I would not consider any of them a true "Semi-Dry" suit. Semi Dries usually have an attached hood like the Bare Alpine. Definitely look at getting a hooded vest, you can save some money if your getting the SGS suit, by getting a non SGS hooded vest with it. I also use my suit with a standard hood in the summer month, when the water gets into the 60’s

I would encourage you to try a few suits on and then decide what suit is the best balance between comfort and budget.

Paul

I happen to hhave a BARE Arctic 7 mil. And I prefer it over my drysuit at temps above 60. I am usually comfortable with it when t emps are in the mid 50's but only at depths above 75 feet.

For winter diving you really shiould save your money for a season and get yourself a nice toasty REAL drysuit. I love my BARE TriLam ATR. I was out in 48 degree water last weekend down to 90 feet and was snug as bug. (I still use wet gloves).

Jerry

I dive a Bare Artic semi-dry, up here in Northern Michigan, and had it in mid forties water and stayed relatively comfortable, throughout a 40 - 50 minute dive, just my toes, and fingers get cold.

To extend your dive time you can dump a gallon of warm water in the suit before getting in the water also.

Mike

Don't be bashful with the input everyone, I plan to spring for an SGS set in the next week or so. Planning to go dry ASAP but I want to start wet and have it as a back-up anyhow.

Thanks
Pete

My wife dives with the Supra Arctic combo (full + hooded vest).

The canadian seals minimize water entry and the tight fit along with the very sturdy neoprene makes for a very warm combo.

The tight fit has its disadvantages though: restricted range of movement.

Still: the Supra Arctic combo is one of the most used wetsuits in Belgium. With water temperatures below 10° C for six months per year, this should count as a recommendation.

I have an artic sgs 7 mil and I love it. It is very easy to get on and off and it dries quickly. Made doing repeat dives on colder days a lot easier. I hate getting back into a cold wet suit. I have been in 48 degree water for about 30 minutes and was fine except for my frozen feet.

I actually went through the same confusions as you. I first ordered Bare's new Alpine suit. However, I did not like; due to the zipper being in the front, it made it very difficult to remove. Debated between the Artic and the Velocity. Went with the Velocity due to the hyperstretch in the shoulders/arms and lumbar support on the back. The price was about $10 more than the Artic. I just received on Friday, will try out next weekend. However, the fit is good/tight, but I like the hyperstretch.

Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom