Bare Arctic vs. Alpine?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hazmat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone know which is warmer? I'm looking for a suit for the northeast, and Bare are the only suits that fit me. I was thinking a 7mm in one of these with maybe a shorty or vest over it.

Hi hazmat!
I have the 7mil artic fullsuit and 7mil artic hooded vest to go with the fullsuit. The full suit has a great fit. I tried the alpine which has a build-in hood. It is very hard to get out of that suit. Please try on the alpine before you buy it. It may fit you well. I say go with the artic. I am a new dny member.

Thanks, Alan. Not a bad idea. In what temps do you wear this combo? I am very thin and get cold quickly, so using a 5mm Elastek was great for me in 75-degree water in Cozumel. I'm guessing the water temps up here would be in the 50s-60s.

-Ken

Hi hazmat! Sorry for not getting back to your sooner,I work 14 hours days for the last two days. I have not dove the 7 mil vest with the fullsuit yet,so I don't know how cold this combo will do. But from what i have read it will cover your down to the mid 40. I personally did mid 40 degree in my 7 mil fullsuit for 30 minutes with no problem, however I tend not to get cold that easy. I would love to get a dry suit,but the cost of a drysuit outweight the benefit. Majority of my dives are shore dives(trainbridge/shark river),therefore the surface temp average during most of the summer is 70 degree. The reason why i got the 7 mil hood vest is for the colder months(april/may),or dutch spring which has a 2 thermoclines. I will be diving the 7mil hooded vest with 7mil fullsuit in 2 week. I will give you my feedback on the combo.
Al

jus' the other day (Wednesday, April 1st) ... 43 degrees... only thing cold were my fingertips... (need to trade these 5mm gloves in for 7's!)

that zipper up the side of your face thing is a lil' annoying on the surface but you quickly forget its even there after your in the water (except when the lil' pull strap floats into view).

Hey Pvtstash!
I know what you mean by cold fingertips. I hate wearing gloves due to lose of dexterity. I have 5mil gloves that I wear when the temp is less than 50 degrees. Majority of the time I wear a pair of akona full kelvar gloves which has no insulation. I might have to find a pair of 3mil kevlar with 2-3mil neoprene in it. Hey hazmat! Have your decided on the 7 mil vest. LP has them for $89.

jus' the other day (Wednesday, April 1st) ... 43 degrees... only thing cold were my fingertips... (need to trade these 5mm gloves in for 7's!)

that zipper up the side of your face thing is a lil' annoying on the surface but you quickly forget its even there after your in the water (except when the lil' pull strap floats into view).

try the crab mitts. We were diving yesterday in 41F water and the guy with dry gloves had his hands really cold. I had 3 finger mitts in 1-1-3 configuration and I was fine. The tips were little cold.

I ended up getting the Arctic with the Pinnacle 7mm merino hooded vest. Quite a deal on that suit right now. Other than the hood, is there any difference in the warmth of the Arctic vs. Alpine? Seems like they sold them side by side.

Back
Top Bottom