Bare Arctic 7mm Hood - Face Seal Trim?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Molecule

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I don't know, if I should trim the face seal of this hood to fit with my mask.
The way they seamed and sewn this face seal at the top (around forehead area) and bottom (chin area), along with stress on this seal when zipper is up, made me think, I should not trim. It may ruin the seam.
If so, what did you do to make this face seal fit with your mask.

Thanks

That's a great suit!

Here's an excerpt from a page I'm drafting:

Many hoods have what is termed a “trimable face seal. In order to surround your head you will see that your hood is made of numerous cleverly patterned panels. In many cases several panels form a ring around the face opening. This trimable ring will be made from N1S material that has smooth neoprene rubber on the inside and it will probably be one thickness thinner than the hood in general.

If you have such a hood it should be trimmed to your liking. If it is left untrimmed it will probably push your mask in an uncomfortable way. I like to trim mine so that it overlaps my mask by 1/4 – 3/8 inches. To do this I first don the hood and get it fitting correctly on my head. Next I don my mask. Now you use a silver Sharpie permanent marker to dot the hood right at the edge of your mask skirt. You can now remove the mask and hood. The dotted line depicts the skirt edge so sketch a line 1/4 – 3/8 inches inboard with the Sharpie. At the top of the hood there will probably be some little tie stitches on the seam. Be sure to keep one of those intact so the hood won't split on the seam. Dip your cut linedown around it if needed. Using good scissors trim the material along the sketched line. If you now don the hood and mask you should be able to flip the seal up onto the mask skirt. This prevents you from getting assaulted in the forehead or temples with ice cold water. Rubbing alcohol will remove most of the remaining silver markings.

I would not trim the bottom of the face seal.

If you (like-I) have the tight chin problem then put a volley ball in there and blow it up. Let it set for a week or so and the fit will be relaxed.

Pete

many thanks for this info, I wasn't quite sure how to do this.

I just purchased this same 7mm suit and tried it in the pool yesterday. I wanted to trim the face shield first but decide to try it with my mask/reg first. I was able to pull the face seal out from around my mask without too much problem on the surface without gloves. But this might not be the condition I need to do this.

I'm completing my certification for stress and rescue while diving over Thanksgiving weekend and have a feeling "someone" might be pulling my mask off while on/under the water. Not sure if I can get my mask back on and cleared in a timely mater, mostly with gloves on.

Should I trim my face seal so not at issue in the future or just leave as is and pull the material out from under my mask on the surface?
Thanks,
John

Hi AZjohn,
I would suggest to trim the face seal just enough not to interfere with your mask and mouthpiece of regulator. So it won't bother you underwater. I trimmed mine quite a bit at the top and sides (around cheek postion), and a little at the bottom to get to comfy point. I recalled, my test dive on this hood (no trim to fit), I feeled like my mask and regulator want to fly off and decided to ascent to put my old hood on after 10 min underwater.

AZjohn

The trick is to get your mask in place and the grab the hood in your fists and pull it back to get any skirt out from under your mask then let if flow back over your mask skirt. Trying to manipulate the actual seal is pretty hopeless in cold water gloves. Sometimes exhaling into your mask will float the mask skirt and help things settle into place.

I like to keep 1/4 - 3/8 inch of overlap for when the water is below 50F. Trimmed this way I have never experienced the dreaded "ice cream headache" with dives well down into the 30sF. If your diving is not that cold you can trim more and probably be no worse off for it.

Pete

Thanks Pete,

Great suggestion! I really liked the fit with the trim over the mask and felt very little water come in the hood. When I cleared my mask under water I had some air/water come in the hood but quickly vented out the top of the hood.

I will get a chance to try your idea in San Carlos before actually really needing the warmth in San Diego in December.

John

Hi AZjohn,
I would suggest to trim the face seal just enough not to interfere with your mask and mouthpiece of regulator. So it won't bother you underwater. I trimmed mine quite a bit at the top and sides (around cheek postion), and a little at the bottom to get to comfy point. I recalled, my test dive on this hood (no trim to fit), I feeled like my mask and regulator want to fly off and decided to ascent to put my old hood on after 10 min underwater.

Hi Molecule,

I actually didn't experience any discomfort or irritation with the way it sealed. But I know using my fingers will be different than using gloves to pull the material out from under the mask. Spectrum had a great suggestion and will try it before actually diving in cold water. If his idea doesn't work then will go with your experience.

Thanks,
John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom