Barbados-Turtles, Batfish, Reefs, & Wrecks & Surfing too!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shelgreb

Registered
Reaction score
Just got back tonight from Barbados I can't sleep.
I'm still reeling over all the animals, coral, and fish we encountered during our stay.

I am still thing about a turtle I aptly named Buddy. Lets just say he was in love with my husband. He wanted to be face to face with his mask swimming circles around him. He was a bit intimidating at first, I have always kept my distance from the turtles even when they come right to me. I have a great deal of respect for them and I always have felt fortunate to be in the presence of one.

One of the reasons I was so excited to visit Barbados was the turtles and that you can arrange to snorkel/dive with them and they are friendly. I definitely knew I didn't want to see them with a group just my husband and myself. We hired a local on advice from our ambassador at our hotel who knew the turtles well. It was truly a profound experience. Buddy kept coming right up to our faces looking at us as we looked at him he had a large remora that wasn't firmly attached but cruised below him. I just could not get enough of his beauty and grace in the water. I already miss him.

Silver Bank & Carlisle Bay Beautiful-reef and wreck dive combinations. Great visibility for both dives 60'-90'. We saw flounder, large spider crabs, sea horses, sea snake, small eels, batfish, cowfish, boxfish, gorgeous coral, sea fans and amazing colors lavender and blue. Hammer coral which I have only seen in reef tanks looking very healthy there, plenty of feather dusters in an array of colors. Tons of barrel and tube sponges.

Stavronikita- 365' Greek freighter sunk by Barbados gov't for artificial reef. Very cool, depth to 130' we stayed under 100'. Impressive beautiful coral circular stairs you can swim up and out. Encrusted with sponges and feather dusters and coral growth is really beautiful. Oh yeah one very large but shy barracuda.

Dottins- reef dive gorgeous so much to look at, every crevice you are finding something new. Banded coral shrimp, Giant feather dusters, smaller fish wrasses, majors, surgeons schooling.

Sandy Lane- vis. wasn't so hot on this day, puffers and some jacks but a really shallow wreck in a relatively horizontal position.

Only one thing a bummer. British divers on our dive trips kept touching everything.
I was ready to strangle them with my regulator hoses. Can anyone get the word out. Stop touching the reef, it kills. I wish more divers would just OBSERVE and not touch.

Don't be afraid of the backward driving rent a car!

Bottoms Bay- one of the most stunning and isolated beaches on the east side. A must see.

Animal Flower Cave-gorgeous in the afternoon

Barbados Wildlife Preserve-the monkeys are free to come and go, go when they feed them and you will see plenty.

Bathsheba and Soupbowl-perfect for good surfers, not for amateurs. This is the reason we chose Barbados over the other islands. My husband is a surfer/diver in that order. If you surf and dive all the better!

Thanks for the report. Disregard request in other thread.

Where did you stay?? My first trip I stayed at the Beauganvillea
and the second time at the SeaFoam Haciendas. Like SFH better... and def cheaper.

Did you get to the Roots and Rythm review?

I found Little Bay....next to Cove Bay to be the coolest formation. Great to just climb around on.

Were leaving for Barbados tomorrow. Please let me know what operators you used, what restuarants were good and bad, etc...
Thanks in advance!!

I used Dive Barbados....John Moore....great guy.

The OPA is to me the best restuarant there. I ate at the Cliff
trip before and spent all night puking my guts out....there went a $200+ meal.

Go to the Oistins fish fry every Friday and Sat night about 730 pm and look for Angle's....best shack food there is and dont buy advance tickets....thats a rip off. A mean and 2 beers is around $10 a person....and there is dancing too.

Rent a car (Leisure car rentals) and go to Little Bay next to Cove bay....great scenery. And it is easy to drive on the island too....just remember...Brit rules.

Do a search....I did a trip report in detail......

When people there quote you prices....ask to be sure....they will just about always quote you (except hotels) in Barbados dollars which it two B dollars to one USA dollar.

sorry so late in reply working many hours
hotel in barbados-The house we loved it great location & service wonderful room
food-very expensive everywhere,
daphnes very good but be prepared to pay.
calabasas restaurant-apparently a fight between waitstaff & kitchen no food or table we almost walked out. We should have left.
The Tides-probably the most romantic and best dinner still bill was over us $130.00 for 2 people.

I just returned from a Caribe cruise and dove Barbados as well. We used John Moore of Dive Barbados. He & his wife did a great job of making the best of our short time there memorable (our cruise ship was there just 1 day). I highly recommend them.

Did any of you snorkel on Barbados? How would you rate it? I am looking for sites with clear, calm, shallow water (<5 feet deep) and lots of critters, where I can take good underwater photos. My husband and I are planning a February vacation, and unfortunately I cannot dive right now because I have just finished chemotherapy treatments -- 2 months will not be quite long enough to recover my diving staminia. Mostly this vacation will be a long-deserved rest from months of illness, so comments about topside activites on Barbados (scenic spots, gardens, golf, etc) would also be appreciated. Many thanks! :D

Back
Top Bottom