Bangka or Bunaken and Lembeh in February

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Next February I have about 6 days before a trip to Raja Ampat (with some SB-members). My first idea was 2 days Bunaken + 4 days Lembeh. A good friend just returned from Bangka, Bunaken and Lembeh and was so positive about Bangka that I was changing my mind. I wrote an e-mail to Murex in Bangka and got a reply that Bangka isn't a good choice in February due to weather conditions. I asked then of Bunaken or Lembeh would be a better choice I got as answer that this would be the same. So I would like to hear if there are any personal experiences about diving in February in Bangka or Lembeh and Bunaken.
Thanks for your replies.

Lembeh is diveable year round although it is the rainy season November through February. Big deal - go for the diving, not the sun. Underwater you will get different critters in season but it is still worth it, IMHO.

Tnx Wisnu. I have read with much interest your wonderfull report and I've put it on my shortlist. My flight to Sorong departs from Manado. So I have to check if this is practical possible.

I've been to Lembeh 5 times and one of those times was Feb. The diving was great and the weather was actually fairly sunny.

I don't really understand what you're expecting from our answers. You've got an honest peply from one of the operators who has no benefits in preventing you to come, though says is it is a risky season to dive the area : It happens I asked the same the question to Murex Bangka (where I was not later than last week and got the same answer).

I have been diving Bangka and Lembeh a few years ago end of february. On the first day it was raining buckets with heavy winds, the guests who were there complained it had been such for a week, on the next day the wind swept the clouds away, the western wind calmed down and it was sunny with flat seas during my full week.

I think a full week with such rain falling would have been miserable ... now probably end of feb could be manageable but prepare for a lot of rain and wind begining and mid feb.

If your question is about Bunaken vs. Bangka vs. Lembeh... It' been a long time since I thought Bangka smoked Bunaken in terms of fishlife and corals (Sahaung is probably one of the best divespots in the world. I mean it. Seriously.) my last stay covinced me that the muck dives around Bangka are on a par with Lembeh's, only with more visibility and more bottom variety. So?

@ LUKO in 2002 i dived all around Bunaken Bangka and the Sangihe Islands, Lembeh on private charter,indeed Sahaung was a great divesite pinnacles,beautiful soft corals going down side and currents and fish life and even pigmy's turning to the right usually loads of fish hanging out of the current and across reef with table corals and sharks resting underneath above was a beautiful little beach untouched and loads od macro stuff and a beautiful little island off it.

It was a very untouched site and area when i was there,that's how i remember.

I also thought March was ok in theses area's

Thanks for your replies. I was just curious if the weather affects diving in these 3 areas in the same way in this period. Meanwhile I got also a (satisfying) answer of another operator that I would like to share:
- Bunaken (is affected by north-western winds) but has divesites in east and west; in case of bad weather there are alternatives
- Lembeh is sheltered: no problem
- Bangka is different: there is a lot of swell coming from north-east. Viz on the northern sites is zero and swell and waves affect diving on the other sites.

True February is not the best season for diving north Sulawesi. If you are lucky you will get a shower every day but most of the day sunny and if you are not lucky grey sky and rain all day long. I would say Lembeh might be a better experience as sun is less important on muck diving than on coral dives. Important point that can help you : visibility underwater might be poor , compare to the normal 20 or 30 m ++ usually found the rest of the year.

Bangka is different: there is a lot of swell coming from north-east. Viz on the northern sites is zero and swell and waves affect diving on the other sites.
Hmmh... I don't quite understand the reply. :confused:
You seldom dive the northern sites of Bangka island, all the classic sites are either on the southern side of Bangka (Sahaung, Busa Bora, etc.) or even on the other side of the strait on teh shores of the mainland Pulisan area (Batu Mandi or Paradise pier for instance), therefore, i would believe there are sites on Bangka Straits area to dive all year round.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom