Bands & Manifold for Rental Tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

metridium

Reaction score
I'm considering getting a SeaElite manifold and bands suitable for both steel 72s and AL80s so that I can double up rental tanks when on vacation.

A dive shop guy advised that one particular Dive-Rite set is the only one that would work with both types of tanks, and stated that the SeaElite manifold would work with both as well, but that there was a small risk that some part of the system might not work.

Are his assertions correct, or are there other alternatives? Are there other considerations I should be aware of?

Also, how suitable are the steel 72s for doubles? My only other option in some locales seems to be steel 95s, but those seem like overkill. I'm planning on using the travel kit for only recreational diving.

Any suggestions appreciated.

I'm not a doubles diver, but how are you going to use your own manifold with rental tanks? I can't imagine the dive shop / boat being happy about you pulling the valves out of their rental tanks to install your own manifold. You can get bands that let you run any size (even different size at the same time) rental tanks as independant doubles though, I've seen them in the Leisure Pro catalog (think they might have been Dive Rite ones).

Originally posted by bengiddins
I'm not a doubles diver, but how are you going to use your own manifold with rental tanks? I can't imagine the dive shop / boat being happy about you pulling the valves out of their rental tanks to install your own manifold.
I've polled several; most said it wouldn't be a problem, others who declined have local dive shops who agreed. There'll probably be a small labor charge involved, but I don't have a problem with that.

You can get bands that let you run any size (even different size) rental tanks as independant doubles though, I've seen them in the Leisure Pro catalog (think they might have been Dive Rite ones).
I'm intent on focusing on one doubles configuration (though with different tank sizes, obviously), so things will be simpler for cave/tech certification. Independent doubles are outside that scope. Thanks for the suggestions, though.

~both steel 72s and AL80s so that I can double up rental tanks
~I'm planning on using the travel kit for only recreational diving.
~I'm intent on focusing on one doubles configuration
~though with different tank sizes, obviously
~so things will be simpler for cave/tech certification

So... exactly which is it you are trying to do here metridium?

Why both sizes... why not just AL80s for example??
Which is it: recreation diving or cave/tech certification??
One doubles config... but with different sizes??

For example if you are recreational diving off of a boat buddied up with other recreational divers why wouldn't you want to just dive a single AL80 like everyone else???

Or if you are in a cave certification class why wouldn't you want to dive the same double set that they recommend (say LP104s)???

Whether you are rec. diving or tech. diving you will want to be diving the same size tanks as your team or you are going to have problems with turn pressure (they will teach you how to do this ... but why?)

I am definitely missing part of the picture... give me some clues...

Of course you'll need bands and a capable BC too. The Sea Elite, Dive Rite, Scuba Pro, and Halcyon are all about the same valve.

I'm also interested in exactly what you intend to do.

Mike

Originally posted by Uncle Pug
Why both sizes... why not just AL80s for example??
Which is it: recreation diving or cave/tech certification??
One doubles config... but with different sizes??
AL80s for destinations that use them primarily, i.e. tropical diving with wetsuits.

Steel 72s for recreational drysuit boat diving.

Cave/tech is still several months away, so the interim rec diving would also act as familiarization training for tech doubles configuration. I'll have my own set of LP104s for that; this traveling set is for destinations where it's impractical to take and/or use the 104s.

I'm not talking about mismatched tanks within a configuration. Instead, I mean using a standardized doubles system, but adapting tank sizes to the mission, so to speak.

Originally posted by Uncle Pug
For example if you are recreational diving off of a boat buddied up with other recreational divers why wouldn't you want to just dive a single AL80 like everyone else???
Risk reduction, because the ad hoc dive buddies I've been paired with on liveaboards occasionally aren't dependable enough, and because I've had reg failures on properly maintained equipment before. Extra bottom time on some solo dives is of secondary interest.

Originally posted by Lost Yooper
Of course you'll need bands and a capable BC too. The Sea Elite, Dive Rite, Scuba Pro, and Halcyon are all about the same valve.
Yes, I definitely need to know if one set of bands will work for both AL80s and steel 72s.

No worries on the BC; I'm already using the Halcyon system. Substituting Explorer wings shouldn't be a problem.

Hmmm....
Well you did ask for suggestions so I don't really feel like I am butting in....

If you are seriously going to get into technical diving in the future then expect to lay out a load of dough... (on a regular basis BTW)

It is customary for newbies (not a perjorative term) to try and base purchasing decisions on perceived future needs... without having a clear understanding of what those needs really will be.

If you can afford to get into tech diving then you can afford to get into it right. Each set of doubles will have its own bands and its own manifold specifically sized for it and you won't be trying to cobble stuff together.

Use the right gear configuration for the type of diving you are going to be doing.

Warm water shallow reef dives on a live aboard.... do everyone a favor - yourself included... and dive with the provided AL80. Use your planning and situational awareness skills to make up for dunces as buddies... or just refuse to dive with the putz... but don't be the guy that everyone else whispers about. If you are looking into the doubles because you are a hoover... 1. then work on it and 2. do shorter dives if necessary....there will always be someone else who sucks it down and needs a buddy.

Boat dives with a drysuit?? Is this cold water??? Why not go ahead and buy a couple of 104s and dive them as singles. This will give you an idea of what life is going to be like when you double them up.... and maybe get you into shape for it. We have some HP steel fans on the board and I'm sure that they would advise you to go that way.... maybe a hp 120!

But why steel 72s??? I have some that I use for argon storage and I have dreamed of doubling up a set... but then I wake up... why?? Regulator failure on properly maintain equipment??? That's a rarity I'd like to hear more about.

Anyway, I think you are trying to do too many different things with one set of bands and a manifold.

Wishing you the best,

As far as I can figure out, all SeaElite (same as Halcyon) manifolds are the same width, so it's the bands that correctly space the cylinders.

Highland Millworks doesn't normally stock bands for 72s (72s and 80s are different sizes and need different bands), but I've heard rumors of people getting them in the past.

Best thing is to talk to both the supplier of the manifold and Highland Millworks. Pug posted highland millworks' site, SeaElite is availble from http://www.divers-supply.com/ and the Halcyon from http://www.extreme-exposure.com/ (same manifold, more expensive).

Roak

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom