bands for 6.75" steel 72s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDuane

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I'm getting the gear ready to start a tec-deep class. I plan on doubling up some steel 72s. My tanks are 6.75" in diameter (the more I read I guess they're 6.9" tanks), but all the bands I see are for tanks from 7.25" - 8". When I look at the bands it seems that if I put a tank of a lesser diameter in the bands I could "cinch" them up with the center bolt. Is this the way it works or do I need to find some bands specifically for my 6.75" (6.9") tanks?

Thanks - DiverDuane

DiverDuane:
I'm getting the gear ready to start a tec-deep class. I plan on doubling up some steel 72s. My tanks are 6.75" in diameter, but all the bands I see are for tanks from 7.25" - 8". When I look at the bands it seems that if I put a tank of a lesser diameter in the bands I could "cinch" them up with the center bolt. Is this the way it works or do I need to find some bands specifically for my 6.75" tanks?

Thanks - DiverDuane

Check With Highland Millwork or Joel at TDL. You need bands for both the tank diameter and manifold spacing, different manifolds offer different center to center spacing.

The parts you need are readily available.

Tobin

I can sell you a standard set of bands with vintage plastic pac, (new), galvanized steel for 6.75 dia tanks. However, although the pac unbolts from the bands and could be replaced with something else, I'm not sure what a "tec" dive requires. Each of the two bands has a cross piece which bridges the bands and act as mounting points for bolts. 8.25 centers.

You can contact Victor.
He makes excellent bands. You tell him the tank diameter and manifold spacing and he'll make them for you for a very reasonable price.
He's a member on the board as well.

DiverDuane:
I'm getting the gear ready to start a tec-deep class. I plan on doubling up some steel 72s. My tanks are 6.75" in diameter (the more I read I guess they're 6.9" tanks), but all the bands I see are for tanks from 7.25" - 8". When I look at the bands it seems that if I put a tank of a lesser diameter in the bands I could "cinch" them up with the center bolt. Is this the way it works or do I need to find some bands specifically for my 6.75" (6.9") tanks?

Thanks - DiverDuane

Do the steel 72 tanks you want to double up have 1/2" valves or 3/4" valves?
I am thinking some of the older 1/2" steel 72's may be of the 6.9 diameter. Back in the eighties I took a set of SS bands off a pair of aluminum 50 doubles and they fit a set of old steel 72 tanks with the 1/2" valves. I had an adjustable Spanish made manifold and it worked out perfect. There are a lot of old 72 bands and old half-inch manifolds out there but may not need the specs for tech diving as they are often j-valve or no isolation valve, etc. I personally like the old j-valve manifolds and don't mind diving them but your instructor probably won't like the "classic" gear, if that is what you have.

aquaoren:
You can contact Victor.
He makes excellent bands. You tell him the tank diameter and manifold spacing and he'll make them for you for a very reasonable price.
He's a member on the board as well.

I'll 2nd the vote for Victor. I just got a set from him and I have to say, they are a nice high quality product.

DiverDuane:

Thanks - DiverDuane

Highland makes the 6.9 " dia bands you need, I've got those on a set of Scubapro (Faber) 76's. ( with Scubapro manifold)

Karl

Thanks to everyone, I have to wait until I receive my manifold and get the measurements all figured out. ALso, I think I need to figure out something to use as a caliper to get the diameter of my tanks.

Duane, the standard 72 rated 2250+ has a 6.75 dia. There is another tank which looks the same but capacity 94 cf @ 3000+ psi, with 6.9 dia. The old USD bands will fit either, and will also fit the 7.25 (with long bolts). All antique US made doubles used 8.25 centers and the US made vintage bands and manifolds are correctly sized for this spacing.

DiverDuane:
Thanks to everyone, I have to wait until I receive my manifold and get the measurements all figured out. ALso, I think I need to figure out something to use as a caliper to get the diameter of my tanks.

Wrap the tank with a tape. Pull tight. Pi is your freind. Close enough for these purposes.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom