Bandito 02.11.07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sandman98007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I had a great day of diving with Bandito and the Depth Chargers on Sunday. The skies cleared and what a day for a boat dive. Our destinations were 2 new sights for me, and I tell you I was not disappointed. Our first stop was Toliva Shoals. Our second was to be Zee’s Reef, but Ricky threw in a surprise and we dove the shallows under the Tacoma Narrows Bridge. This was to be my first drift dive and I was not disappointed.

We hit the buoy marking Toliva shoals and we dropped in at about 30 feet of water. We had a small group and since Ricky had not been here for a few years, he was unsure what to expect. Some of us went east, some went south, and my buddy and me went west and are we ever glad we did. The dive progressed with a gentle slop of sandy bottom, Ricky stated that it would reach 190 feet, but my buddy and I said 100 feet would be deep enough. At 30 feet there was kelp everywhere. Once at the 50 foot mark we came upon these areas of concrete refuse that was dumped sporadically. As we approached one we could just make out another in the distance and visibility was about 15 -20 feet. This pattern went on and was going far deeper then I wished to go. Each of these piles was covered with Plumose of white, red, and other small life forms. Everything was retracted, which I found odd, but I was able to find some open plumose as well. Lots of copper rockfish, a rare ling cod, but somewhat lacking on some of the more common critters such as crab and perch. This was an outgoing tide so they may have holed up for awhile. Ended the dive at 100 feet and turned for the ascent. The current, which was outgoing, pushed us north and we came upon this huge mountain of concrete rubble at 50 feet. Tunnels and gaps were noted throughout the structure and it appears that it could really be a potential wolf eel motel. Only found one wolf eel and his head was as big as a basket ball. The picture in the photo show does not do justice to his size. Finished up with green water ascent and I will confess that I still need work on that open water safety stops. It gets real hard without a visual reference and I will forever appreciate the visual reference that a shore dive gives you. We finished up with a 45 minute dive. I cannot wait to go back. In the future you will need to enter the water to the west of the buoy in about 50 to 60 feet of water. This will give you ample time to explore the area. Coming down from 30 feet takes a little too long to get to the structure and there is a lot to see in the 50-100 foot range.

As for the drift dive, there is not much to say. 2.5 knot current and the Tacoma Narrows Bridge; it doesn’t get much better then that. One highlight is that my light got caught on a rock and I did the tumble weed roll. No much fun with a set of twin 100’s, and I am quite sore today, but I will do that one again in a heartbeat. What a ride.

Another great day of diving…. Thank you Ricky…. I cannot wait to go again.

Here is the photo show…. I only took shot at Toliva, did not want to risk it on the drift Dive. Please enjoy.

http://photoshow.comcast.net/watch/Qt8VX2uG :D :D :D

Thanks for the trip repot. My LDS use bandito for dives but i have yet make a trip.
Also outstanding photos would you mine sharing what camera rig you got set up?

Canon a-620 with the Ikelite DS-50 strobe. A great setup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom