Banda Sea / Ring of Fire in October

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think you need to worry about entry and exit for side mount. Most boats will do their very best to put you in the water in the best conditions. I have done the trip a few times and I think they have always been on one of the Damai boats. Luckily I have always had great conditions (crossing fingers and praying to the Goddess of the sea for good conditions) but I know it can get a little hairy. It is basically a relocation trip that can only be done during certain times of the year. I have heard stories about boats getting stuck in Banda etc. Are you doing an Alor - Ambon trip, Saumlaki - Saumlaki, or Kupang -? etc.? Which boat?

Everything depends on the divers on your boat and the CD (cruise director)etc. We have had great experiences but have encountered some current (totally manageable and worth it) in the hopes of finding the hammerheads. I was on another boat and the CD said she would never take divers on the hammerhead dives in Forgotten or Banda because she didn't want to worry about them. I made a mental note to never ever book a Banda trip with them. So If you have a bunch of people who don't like any current etc... Either way it is still a great trip, its just a so much better with hammers and snakes! oh and thankfully for us the hammers were never deep. Banda is amazing fishy and really fun! Enjoy!
I'm fine with current, I'm also ok with swell. I loved the Maldives. It's just side mount adds challenges sometimes, fighting with bungees, bolt snaps, long hoses, other divers don't appreciate you either :)

I'm on blue manta, I've been with them before, they're a top outfit who look after you. I like diving with Egoi and crew, so all good on that front.

Say hi to Egoi from me, when you see him.

I just came back from Sangalaki with White Manta in August. Jusuf (one of the host, I call him Joe) told me that one of DMs, Danny (they call him, Batman), left them for greener pasture. I like him & wish him better luck in his next endeavor.

Say hi to Egoi from me, when you see him.

I just came back from Sangalaki with White Manta in August. Jusuf (one of the host, I call him Joe) told me that one of DMs, Danny (they call him, Batman), left them for greener pasture. I like him & wish him better luck in his next endeavor.
That’s my post. Problem with a new phone didn’t log me in with the right password and locked me out. Then when I reset my password, I got anew username too. 🤪

Here’s my Banda Sea / Ring of Fire trip in November:

I'll be out there in October too... done it twice before in April-May, no experience in the fall. In the spring the waters in Raja were balmy 28-29 degrees, but down in Alor there is the Really Chilly Thermocline that can potentially get down to 18-23ish. I rented a 5mm wetsuit for those dives and was one of the few people who dared to go below the thermocline.

Currents are variable, we had some crazy washing machines, we had some calm. Some negative entries. Comparable to Maldives although I think the fastest currents I've ridden were in Indo. The one where we're watching the bubbles hit a wall and go down...

Bring your reef hook.

It's an amazing trip, IMO the best dive trip in the world and I try to get out there every year.

Back
Top Bottom