Banco Chinchorro: Xcalek or Majahual

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The wife and I are doing a driving tour of the Yucatan and seek suggestions for where to stay to experience the best diving of Banco Chinchorro. Xcalek or Majahual or elsewhere? Early Dec 2021 time frame. And recommendations for reputable dive shops are welcome, too.

If you dive Banco Chinchorro please say hi to Marjan for me. Marjan is/was a beautiful 26 foot Choy Lee Frisco flier sloop that we accidentally deposited on Banco Chinchorro for your wreck diving pleasure.

She's in the company of several hundred other wrecks, including some freighters.

Xcalak has better diving, but is more expensive and has fewer lodging options. The Chinchorro trip will be $275 per person from XTC (6 person minimum)

Mahahual has more lodging/restaurant options, but regular diving is not as good as Xcalak. Chinchorro trips will be cheaper, use Amigos del Mar or Tritones ($150 per person, usually 6 person minimum, but ask first)

Did a trip with XTC a few years back out of Xcalak, thoughly enjoyed it. Its about a 30 mile trip and it is subject to weather. I have dived Cozumel in early December for the last 9 years and have lost a lot of days to El Norte's, have a plan B available for surface activities.

I've done both, from Xcalak and from Mahahual. Shortest distance from mainland to Chinchorro is Mahahual. Depending on the sea conditions, it's 1 1/2 hr. from Mahahual, took us 2 /1/2 hr. from Xcalak but seas were angrier leaving from XTC. Heiko Goetze is the owner of Amigos del Mar in Mahahual. He's has a great boat for Chinchorro trip, ~30 ft., twin 140 HP engines, huge bimini (much appreciated) and a great capitan. As said above the price from Mahahual is quite a bit cheaper than from XTC. True, local diving not as good as Xcalak, but Chinchorro is a must dive spot on the Mexican coast. Done it 4 times, wanting to do it again! We just returned from Mahahual 2 weeks ago, love it. Nacional Beach Club (Nacional Beach Club – Bungalows | Restaurante) is next door to Amigos del Mar. NBC is owned by an American expat, Evan Mckenzie. Great people and very laid back place!
upload_2021-6-6_6-52-44.png

Love Mahahual, have about 20-ish or so dives there. Even encountered a pod of dolphins once, so lucky and amazing to catch them in the wild like that.

Haven't been since before covid but would have highly recommend staying with Evan at Hotel National and diving with Gypsy Divers (Catherine). The "shop" is a 12'x12' bamboo-style hut and it's like diving with family and prices were the lowest I've just about ever paid anywhere. HN rooms were beautiful, cold a/c and breakfast included. Wish I was there now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom