Balmorhea Trip report (with pics)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TwoBitTxn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Finally left out of the metro mess about 2:30p. Traffic getting out of here wasn't too bad. Got to the park about 11:30 and posted on the front sign was a peice of paper that said campsite 19 was reserved for me. The furthest campsite from anything, and I'm the only one camping. Hmmmm....No wind and got the camp set up and into bed. I had the creek flowing right behind my tent and got to listen to the coyotes sing for an hour or so. A couple different groups, one sounded like he was less than 100yds away.

The wind picked up about 2am and after some minor repairs to the tent, I moved to my truck to get a little more sleep.

Got up and here are a couple views from my site.
IMG_0109.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

It was only in the low 60's but blowing pretty good.

Met up with the students did the briefings and got in.

75* water. Really nice. The Mexican Tetra's are extremely friendly, but don't sit still for a camera very well. I did get a shot of an endangered Commanche Springs Pupfish.
CommancheSpringspupfish.jpg

This is the only place you will find this bugger.

The soft shells look for handouts too.
softshell.jpg

softshellheadshot.jpg

The absolute coolest thing we saw all weekend was the ducks that were on the lake were diving. Got to see this from an underwater viewpoint. Sorry, no pics. They don't perform on cue very well.

Sunday the water dropped 3* to 72. The wind switched out of the north and was HOWLING. Air temp still in the 60's.

Sat night we went down to Ft. Davis and the Observatory. Too many clouds. :shakehead: Still a nice trip.

A couple more shots to show the park for those who havn't been there.
This is a shelter. There are 3.
IMG_0118.jpg

I almost forgot about my channel cat shot. Nice pose.
ChannelCat.jpg

The end by the diving boards, where we were staged.
IMG_0112.jpg

And the ducks with the Davis Mountains in the background.
IMG_0116.jpg

Nice trip. Max depth is 20 feet. It is an altitude dive as it is at 3000 feet. No big deal though.

Not busy this past weekend. A couple other shops there and some fun divers. That's it.

TwoBit

The absolute coolest thing we saw all weekend was the ducks that were on the lake were diving. Got to see this from an underwater viewpoint. Sorry, no pics. They don't perform on cue very well.

Sunday the water dropped 3* to 72. The wind switched out of the north and was HOWLING. Air temp still in the 60's.

Great report! Watching the ducks dive bomb for tetras and crawdads is the best part of diving there in the winter! The worst part about diving there in the winter are the cold surface intervals with a howling north wind. I love that place. It makes for a nice relaxing weekend. Too bad it's a 6 hour drive for me. I've done some fantastic 90 minute dives in there. :) I'm looking forward to shooting some video there at some point soon.

Those ducks are a hoot...as they feed off the bottom in a group, viewed from a distance they remind me of inverted bowling pins--lol!

The water looks so clear and blue!! I'm really, REALLY bummed that we didn't get to go.:shakehead:

The pictures look great, and the fish, and ducks sound like a lot of fun.

I'm VERY jealous I didn't get to do MY Open Water there.:D

Rhonda

A couple other notes:

The bottom is a heavy rock/sand composition. It will silt out if divers crash the bottom, but settles out very quickly. Also consider a million gallons of fresh water moves through there every hour. Plenty of grass and algae.

There is a note at the front desk warning people not to move rocks. I saw evidence of people piling rocks into little mounds, I guess for securing buoys. This is a BIG NO NO. We need to respect the fact that there are two endangered species in this pool.

I'm sure I'll go back. I may go back with more time to explore the surrounding area. There is a lot of Texas history in the area. Two of the students talked about a book called A thousand places to see before you die . Marfa, about an hour or so away is listed.

There are hot showers on site. Also hotel rooms. Don't trust the reservation website to be accurate. Call the park. The reservation web site said they were all booked. They weren't. The hotel rooms aren't exactly cheep either. A small group splitting the costs would make it worth it.

Not a whole lot to choose from in the way of places to eat. I brought all my own food, but had dinner on Sat at the Black Bear Inn in Ft. Davis State park. Food, fair... service very good.

Most of my dive class either stayed in the hotel rooms or in Pecos about 45 minutes away.

The Mexican Tetra's are a huge PITA. I had several good shots messed up by a poorly timed tetra in the frame. The are obviously accustomed to being fed.

TwoBit

Please let Kory and I know when you go back, with or without a class. I would LOVE to dive there, and see the sites in the area.

Rhonda

Yup, that's the Balmorhea I enjoy diving. In fact, when Dive Training Magazine did their report on Balmorhea in September, I fired off a letter to the editor congratulating the staff on an ourstanding article. They printed the letter in November!
Great report and super photos, TwoBitTxn. Can't wait to get out there in February and shoot a little video as well as see some of the sights in the area.

Man! Now I am jealous! I wanna go!
I have been out there a couple of different times. Always a hoot! The trip is kind of cool (I am a road trip junkie)! The diving is awesome although it's not deep at all. And the local scenery is awesome! I ate at the Black Bear the last time I was there. Very cool adventure. Now I wanna go again! LOL

Good report TwoBit and very nice catfish shot.

I am up for a trip this winter John. Let me know when.

Willie

Balmorhea is a blast!

You know what we need is a decent map making of the site.
It’s small enough that it could be quite detailed.
Knowing what I know now- Nitrox 36.

My problem is I keep trying get under the rock where all catfish run too- wait for meeee. :D

This place is a blast with a small seadoo scooter also.

Honest to goodness story-
We check in to dive and I ask the Ranger were the best place to eat is.
He laughed- Mexican place in the morning, black bear in the evening- that’s it stranger.
My jaw hit the floor! NO Whataburger… hehehe

The portions at the Mexican Restaurant are big… they take a little while because it is home made but the food is excellent and hot. Sorry forgot the name.

Andrew

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom