Ballast change from 50F to 80F water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the responses! Good to know that gloves are not allowed, I was planning on packing some.

I will pack my rig, fins, mask, an empty weight belt and 2 empty trim pockets. Only exposure gear I will bring is my 5mm booties. Maybe the pocket shorts. I think I'll start with a rented 3mm full suit, and swap up or down from there if needed.

I do have long, fragile hair, any pointers for keeping it sane if I opt for no hood? I was thinking stream2sea leave-in conditioner + braids + a beanie...

Thanks for all the responses! Good to know that gloves are not allowed, I was planning on packing some.

I will pack my rig, fins, mask, an empty weight belt and 2 empty trim pockets. Only exposure gear I will bring is my 5mm booties. Maybe the pocket shorts. I think I'll start with a rented 3mm full suit, and swap up or down from there if needed.

I do have long, fragile hair, any pointers for keeping it sane if I opt for no hood? I was thinking stream2sea leave-in conditioner + braids + a beanie...
You might find it difficult to rent anything other than a 3mm shortie. That would not be enough for me, and gives no skin protection (sun or critters or scrapes) on arms or legs. At least have a full-body rashguard for under the shortie.
Make sure your booties have THICK soles for walking on coral rubble and hard-shore. Soft-sole booties don't cut it.
Hair? Lycra hood.

As others have said, it’s worth having a 3 mm full length suit. It basically has you covered for any warm water diving you will want to do. Don’t list to anyone who says they were “too warm” in a 3 mil, I am pretty sure that is impossible, it just doesn’t hold enough water. I brought a skin for diving in Thailand, and ultimately wished I had the 3 mil full suit. And it’s hard to get water warmer than that.

Hmm, I looked into renting a 3mm wetsuit on the island. Prices I saw were around $100/week for a full, $65/week for a shorty. On the other hand, Deep6 has a black friday sale going right now, and their badass 3mm is down to $150. Might just spring for that, since we're talking an extra $50 for what is probably a much nicer piece of gear that I actually own.

Hmm, I looked into renting a 3mm wetsuit on the island. Prices I saw were around $100/week for a full, $65/week for a shorty. On the other hand, Deep6 has a black friday sale going right now, and their badass 3mm is down to $150. Might just spring for that, since we're talking an extra $50 for what is probably a much nicer piece of gear that I actually own.
Bingo!

If your hair is fragile, braids not good.

I bet you’d be pretty close to neutral with the steel backplate and a swimsuit, maybe a little overweighted..

For perspective I’m 6’ 160 lbs. When I’m in Bonaire diving with an aluminum backplate, 3mm full suit and booties, hat, and neoprene pocket shorts I use 4 Lbs.

As far as suit thickness goes I’d 2nd the folks who are recommending a full suit. I’ve seen plenty of people come up bloody after a slip and fall. Also the cold adds up. I’ve got decent cold tolerance but it catches up to me after 5 days of 4 dives a day, especially with a few night dives mixed in there as well.

Hi, Brett.

Others gave you great advice. I have dived Monterey as I am generally local to that area and I also dive a SolAfx 8/7 semidry and with 7mm gloves and boots. I am still cold in this arrangement and didn't dive it often or at all anymore. With that said, I used to dive it in a HP100 steel and I would be able to knock about 4-5 lbs using that instead of an AL80. That should balance out your backplate weight with the change in tanks. I would then just make adjustments for your exposure protection (neoprene) as others have mentioned.

I tend to run colder and when I do repetitive dives like you mentioned, I err on the side of warmer. I dive a 5mm in those temps you described, especially if it is diving where I am not moving around much like for muck or hardly any current. With Bonaire that shouldn't be an issue but I hope this helps.

Do it. You don't want to wear a wetsuit that someone else has peed in. (Unless you're into that sort of thing of course. We don't judge here.)

Hi, Brett.

Others gave you great advice. I have dived Monterey as I am generally local to that area and I also dive a SolAfx 8/7 semidry and with 7mm gloves and boots. I am still cold in this arrangement and didn't dive it often or at all anymore. With that said, I used to dive it in a HP100 steel and I would be able to knock about 4-5 lbs using that instead of an AL80. That should balance out your backplate weight with the change in tanks. I would then just make adjustments for your exposure protection (neoprene) as others have mentioned.

I tend to run colder and when I do repetitive dives like you mentioned, I err on the side of warmer.

Yeah, I have been quite happy with my SolAfx 8/7 for the year or so I've been diving it. For shallower or shorter dives, or warmer water days, it's perfect. As I am improving my skills though, my dives are tending deeper and longer. Last dive at Monastery was 51 minutes, average depth 57', max depth 106' on a single HP100 hot-filled with 32%. My buddy and I both had plenty of gas left over, would have had even more with a proper cold fill, but damn if it wasn't cold from around the turn point onward. We had planned to do 2 dives that day, but after dive 1, decided to just get lunch and a beer instead. I ordered a drysuit from Seaskin a week ago, should be here oh say about March 15th or so. In the mean time, I'm shivering -- mostly in anticipation, and partly in cold saltwater :thumb:

I dive a 5mm in those temps you described, especially if it is diving where I am not moving around much like for muck or hardly any current. With Bonaire that shouldn't be an issue but I hope this helps.

I figure I'll start with the 3mm since it's good and cheap and because they do not offer a 5mm. Maybe see if I can borrow a hooded vest to pack, just in case.

Do it. You don't want to wear a wetsuit that someone else has peed in. (Unless you're into that sort of thing of course. We don't judge here.)
It's done. I had been waffling on it at the $300 price tag, when I took a look last night and saw it for just $150, I ordered it. Seems a no-brainer price for that product, especially compared to random, janky, someone-else's-peed-in rentals for $100! Got the confirmation email from Deep6, so it's a-comin'.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom