ball swivel question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Tom.
What's the general price range of M&J's fittings. They want me to give them all my stats before I can find anything out. Not fond of that idea.

I have one of the Zeagle 90° elbows. Its not a swivel, in fact the only swivel is the one already on the second stage. It does add one o-ring, though, but its snugged down and isn't going anywhere. It allows me to route a 40" hose under my right arm. Very comfortable.

http://www.zeagle.com/clientuploads/pictures/regulators/swivel+Octo_290.jpg

Scubapro makes one that's not quite 90° (more like 70°?) that works the same way.

Yes, ScubaPro also makes it. I am using four SP elbowes and one for a spare kit. I don't have any problems so far. It is also a screw designed ScubaPro Genuine Item like Trident. :wink:

http://www.scubastore.com/shop.asp?id_familia=11&id_subfamilia=36

StSomewhere:
Scubapro makes one that's not quite 90° (more like 70°?) that works the same way.

The Kraken:
In my opinion the term "death trap" seems a little harsh. No one died from the incident. Normal emergency procedures, and so forth . . . Probably happens a lot less than a freeflowing regulator at depth, which is equivalently the same thing.

. . . to each his own.
...where these swivels are to be used.

As the K noted, in a recreational dive setting where "normal emergency procedures" may safely be implemented and the two divers may directly surface after a swivel-failure, then adding the swivels might seem to offer a favorable cost-benefit ratio.

OTOH, if you routinely find yourself 2000' or further into a cave, where a swivel blow-out might result in a significant loss of gas, not to mention the resulting potential loss of visibility and need to now turn the dive and exit the cave on some other team-member's long hose, then adding the swivels might seem to offer an undesirable cost-benefit ratio.

Many of these "does X make sense" questions depend heavily on the environment in which you happen to be diving.

For recreational diving the swivels might be the greatest thing since sliced bread. For technical diving, where resultant gas loss, visibility loss, and sudden additional task-loading after a blow-out might make exiting the cave significantly more challenging, the swivels DO constitute an additional failure point and they shouldn't be tolerated by any team entering an overhead environment.

To each their own indeed, but whether they make sense or not likely depends heavily on which environment you're considering using them in.

Well stated, Doc.

the K

Well, there's always the other option in case of a swivel failure - inline shutoff valves. I got some of those too and one is on my bungied octo in the OFF position. Testing and cycling that is all part of the donning drill as well. This is a purely personal addition and I would not recommend it to anyone else.

M&J Engineering stuff is available a little cheaper at Tech Blue:
https://tech-blue.com/secure.html

For my lobster shots to 100', this stuff is all ok. The lunatic deep and cave stuff, the swivel might be deinstalled or I'd put shutoffs on my primary as well.

I'd wondered about installing inline shutoff valves for say a freeflow, but there again, we're introducing yet another possible failure point.
Anyone ever thought about carrying a small pair of needlenose vise grips with them, to pinch off a hose? Maybe grind the teeth off? Simple, dirt cheap, could save your life.

And thanks for that second link Tom. I like their wings.

Or, you could spend about the same cash on a long hose, and you won't need a swivel, as its no longer pulling against your grill. :)

---
Ken

I certainly agree with Doc Intrepid. I'm nowhere near being a cave diver. I'm just a "look at the purdy fishies on the reef" type diver. OTOH, I'm the kinda guy that Murphy looks for. If anybody can get caught in a mess of fishing line and blow a line at the same time, it's me.
What about that 45 deg solid fitting/longer hose under the arm idea? Thinking about the mechanics of it, I realize with the hose in a more or less vertical position, there would be less side to side bending resistance (I think).
So how long should the hose be?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom