Balicasag with only OW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Open Water certification itself doesn't really differentiate divers. A properly taught OW level diver should be capable...and with progressive experience, can go beyond 18m60ft. What matters is quality of training, their attitude and their experience.

I've met plenty enough AOW divers who shouldn't be going beyond 18m or diving in current without strict supervision. There's nothing magical in having possession of a card.

What's the two divers' experience? How do you rate them in the water? That counts for a lot more.

I thought the DM would not allow them beyond 60ft with only OW. Didn't I learn that some place...?

Anyway, to stay on topic, It appears 60ft is plenty for Balicasag.

PADI's recommendation is often misinterpreted/mis-remembered.

What they say is "The recommended limit for newly qualified Open Water Divers is 18m/60ft".

People forget the "newly qualified" bit.

Likewise, they recommend a maximum depth of 30m/100ft for divers "with experience and training beyond Open Water level".

Again... note the use of the word "experienced".

Those are both recommendations (to the diver concerned)... they aren't statutory limits applied to a qualification level.

Of course... what limits a dive centre wishes to impose on customers, as a business operating procedure, is up to them. Again, many choose to follow the PADI guidelines either strictly (and with the noted misinterpretation) or as a general rule-of-thumb; which means they have flexibility to either recognise experience and/or assess the individual diver on their merits, rather than what card they carry.

I also highly recommend Sierra Madre divers. I've always dove with them on the seven times I've been to Bohol.

Sent from my samsung galaxy s2 using tapatalk

Get them to do a Deep Adventure Dive with whatever dive shop you choose. This can be PADI or any Agency. It rates them to 30m / 110 feet, gets logged in their log books and thats the end of the discussion. Its usually sold pretty cheaply compared to the full AOW as you do not need to buy the book. Of course it doesn't guarantee their competency at depth but they have the logged training dive so dive centres don't need to question it and its good for all future 'deep' dives.

Its usually sold pretty cheaply compared to the full AOW as you do not need to buy the book.

I wasn't aware of that... it seems a little bit "un-PADI-like"? So a student could do 5x 'adventure dives'... not requiring a manual? And then be qualified to apply directly to PADI for AOW certification? Doesn't sound right...?

Get them to do a Deep Adventure Dive with whatever dive shop you choose. This can be PADI or any Agency. It rates them to 30m / 110 feet, gets logged in their log books and thats the end of the discussion. Its usually sold pretty cheaply compared to the full AOW as you do not need to buy the book. Of course it doesn't guarantee their competency at depth but they have the logged training dive so dive centres don't need to question it and its good for all future 'deep' dives.

I agree that doing the Deep Adventure Dive under a good instructor is the way to satisfy Certain Dive Operators Depth Requirement.

However, to perform the adventure dive you must complete the knowledge review associated with the dive and to do that you need a book. The point is you need to purchase a book to perform the adventure dives...
I just certified two open water students today, and I coincidently recommended this path once they get a few dives under their belts..

Cheers,
Roger

Jimmy has stated that you do not need to buy a book to do an Adventure dive. However you must buy the book if you complete a 5th Adventure dive and want Advanced Certification. Please check yourselves but there is no requirement for the student to purchase the Advanced Manual to complete one (or indeed 4) separate Adventure Dives.

Jimmy has stated that you do not need to buy a book to do an Adventure dive. However you must buy the book if you complete a 5th Adventure dive and want Advanced Certification. Please check yourselves but there is no requirement for the student to purchase the Advanced Manual to complete one (or indeed 4) separate Adventure Dives.

You know I believe that it was said but it is inconsistant, with the Instructor Manual specifically page 62. where it states: Give divers credit for the Adventure Dive only when the
Knowledge Review is completed and reviewed. Complete
and sign the Adventure Dive Training Record or otherwise
document that both knowledge review and dive are
completed.

According to PADI Policy we can not reproduce the materials by using a "community" book or xeroxing a copy of it.. Anyway

more power to you if you are doing it.

Cheers,
Roger

Nice video of Alona diving, I am getting psyched! Planning my first Philippines dive trip, I am likewise taking along a couple of buddies who are novice divers. Alona looks good for the newbies, hoping to get them ready for some deeper dives off Malapascua later in the trip, the adventure dive option might be perfect for that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom