Balicasag with only OW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

travelpro

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm heading to Bohol for the 3rd time. This time taking 2 friends who only have OW. Can you still enjoy most of the Balicasag sites at 60ft? Checking my log book my dives are deeper than 60ft?

Of course trying to convince them to take AOW but not sure if they have the $$$ for it.

Are there any sites that I should avoid because they are much deeper than 60ft to enjoy?

Thanks!

The only problem with bringing in-experienced divers to Balicasag, is that sometimes there is a strong current so you need to plan for that. Many times I have taken graduating OW students to Bohol, and dived Balicasag with no problem..... Again the real potential issue at Balicasag is current not depth..

Cheers,
Roger

The best dives in balicasag are 40 feet and above. You'll see more color, more fish, more macro. It's also where I usually spot the barracuda school.

Sent from my samsung galaxy s2 using tapatalk

I'm heading to Bohol for the 3rd time. This time taking 2 friends who only have OW. Can you still enjoy most of the Balicasag sites at 60ft? Checking my log book my dives are deeper than 60ft?

Of course trying to convince them to take AOW but not sure if they have the $$$ for it.

Are there any sites that I should avoid because they are much deeper than 60ft to enjoy?

Thanks!

I recall most of the good stuff was 60 feet or less. Alot depends on the experience and comfort level your friends have. Some OW divers are struggling at 30 feet and others are like fishes and can go to 100 feet. Just tell the dive master, he or she will look after them and if they are uncomfortable diving more than 60 ft let the DM know I'm sure they can still have a great time. The only deep water diving I did in the area was looking for seahorses off of Alona, I think we went down to 120 feet.
Ken

I just returned from my first diving trip to Balicasag. I saw a huge turtle and the big school of jack fish. great diving there in my opinion. i think the dives were all around 60 feet or less. if your friends are good divers, i do not think anyone will make an issue of.

there are plenty of turtles there.

I just returned from my first diving trip to Balicasag. I saw a huge turtle and the big school of jack fish. great diving there in my opinion. i think the dives were all around 60 feet or less. if your friends are good divers, i do not think anyone will make an issue of.

there are plenty of turtles there.

Sounds good, i'm coming there myself end of next week, after trip to Malapascua.
Can you or anybody else recommend any good dive op around there? I haven't decided yet... How many dives they usually make in Balicasag trip?

I would heartily recommend Philippine Fun Divers - dived with them twice so far and anticipate again in the not too distant future. I'm sure there are some other fine dive operations. I preferred the diving along Alona Beach actually over Balicasag. There are a few critters you might miss below 60ft at Alona like the hairy pipefish and mushroom coral pipefish. You can check out some of my photos on Flickr from those trips.

I would heartily recommend Philippine Fun Divers - dived with them twice so far and anticipate again in the not too distant future. I'm sure there are some other fine dive operations. I preferred the diving along Alona Beach actually over Balicasag. There are a few critters you might miss below 60ft at Alona like the hairy pipefish and mushroom coral pipefish. You can check out some of my photos on Flickr from those trips.

Thanks for info Jason, actually just got reply from them by email. I'm sure they get the job done, although price for nitrox was kind of expensive...450p extra per dive:shocked2:
I dont know if thats normal rate in alona beach area? or even needed around those dive sites...

Nice photos!

We had a very good experience with Sierra Madre Divers last October. Our dives were also mostly to 60 ft and above. Yes there were currents, but not so strong (at least during the time we were there) and the DMs managed the drift dives very well. They usually do a 2-dive trip to Balicasag in the morning, then afternoon and/or night dives in the Alona Beach/Panglao sites. I had such a great time that I'm going back there with another group this coming week, on Feb. 9-12. :dance3:

[video=vimeo;35145288]http://vimeo.com/35145288[/video]

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom