Bali - when to see Mola-Mola

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got back from Bali last week...haven't had a chance to do a full write-up of my trip yet, which I do intend to do. But in the meantime, I'll just say that I dove three days at Nusa Penida, 9 total dives, right in the heart of what's supposed to be the best Mola Mola season (Sept. 15-17), and I didn't see one! It was particularly frustrating because other divers on other boats kept coming back and saying they'd seen them. I guess we just never got lucky.

I dove with Aquamarine Divers, who did a fantastic job. It's certainly not their fault that we didn't happen to hit the reefs at the same time as any Molas. Even without seeing them, they were all spectacular dives, some of the most beautiful I've ever done anywhere. And we did see several Mantas at Manta Point, which was magical.

More details coming later in another thread, when I have a chance to sit down and write it up.

LeeAnne, 15-17 September was just before half-moon, so that may be one reason you didn't see them. But I think the molas might just be staying away from Crystal Bay because of insane numbers of ill-behaved divers.

And yes, Aquamarine are a fantastic operation. Gotta love those twin 250 4-strokes.

But I think the molas might just be staying away from Crystal Bay because of insane numbers of ill-behaved divers.

ah, add one more ill-behaved diver (well topside at least:mooner:). Off to Bali this coming Sat... Well if the mantas and mola2's are a no show, I've at least got Tulamben for the 2nd half of the trip...:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom