Bali Trip - Dive op/lodging and Komodo add-on advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the trip breakdown - that is incredibly helpful. I’ll contact DDK to see what their schedule is like. As of right now, I think we’d probably to head there first with the dates we plan to fly. We are likely getting in later on a Saturday which would be convenient to stay nearby and grab an early Sunday flight out.

Follow up question - any reason we should book through a travel agent as opposed to booking on our own? I used a travel agent two years ago for Saba and, in the end, it didn’t add any convenience, but this is a much bigger and more involved trip. If so, any recommendations?

I would say nope... but I am used to traveling Indo.

Flights : buy Garuda tickets online. Garuda is the most reliable company in Indonesia plus you get 43kgs check in luggage when you carry dive equipment.

Transfers from/to in Bali preferably book on the Internet a driver to pick you up at the airport (he will have a paper with your name on) and drive you to Padang Bai (approx cost 450kIDR=30USD) or Tulamben (approx cost 600-650kIDR =40-45USD). book your return transfers on premise (or deal with your outgoing driver), there are lots on the web just google "driver Bali" and contact thru Whatsapp.

Transfer from/to Komodo airport : there's a taxi stand inside the airport, take a ticket while you wait for your luggage, it's less than 10USD, ask DDK to book your return taxi..

I definitely agree it's a great time to head to Komodo if you can either get on a LOB or fly there.

I have stayed at OK Divers and dived with Geko a few times. Be advised that Padang Bai is not a quiet place at night. You will hear ferry whistle blasts (though not during the night) and there may be noise at OK from surrounding restaurants. We now stay here:

Home - Sea Breeze Candidasa

It's MUCH nicer than OK or anything in Padang Bai but it is a 15 - 20 min drive which Geko can arrange for you. They will give you an early breakfast to get you to Geko whenever you need to be for an early AM dive.

Also suggest you try Vincent's restaurant in Candidasa.

- Bill

Agree about a short liveaboard in Komodo. Super easy to get to from Bali and we did this when we had about same amount of time you did. There are many local dive shops with their own liveaboards, some are featured on PADI Travel and some are not. Look around. I usually like to book things through an agent if they charge surcharges for using PayPal or credit card or require wire transfers. I like being able to pay by card without a fee and gathering travel bonus points by booking through a merchant. There is less protection via the other methods as well. Sometimes, I can get a discount through a contact of mine but otherwise, I like to book direct, especially for airfare.

You’ll love it. Have fun!

I definitely agree it's a great time to head to Komodo if you can either get on a LOB or fly there.

I have stayed at OK Divers and dived with Geko a few times. Be advised that Padang Bai is not a quiet place at night. You will hear ferry whistle blasts (though not during the night) and there may be noise at OK from surrounding restaurants. We now stay here:

Home - Sea Breeze Candidasa

It's MUCH nicer than OK or anything in Padang Bai but it is a 15 - 20 min drive which Geko can arrange for you. They will give you an early breakfast to get you to Geko whenever you need to be for an early AM dive.

Also suggest you try Vincent's restaurant in Candidasa.

- Bill
I found Sea Breeze on Geko’s website and it looks amazing! That’s currently our front runner. I’m ok with the 15-20 minute commute each morning. Bloo Lagoon also looked intriguing but while I like the open air villa concept in theory, I’m not sure I’d like it for an extended period of time. And thanks for the restaurant recommendation.

For Tulamben - is Liberty Dive Resort the good lodging/dive op option?
It is one of the most convenient at least, you get nitrox and a private guide for free, the schedule is yours, just ask when and where..
Personally I prefer staying at Tauch Terminal and diving with a free lance, but I used LIberty Dive centre for a while Uji and Wayan John are very good dive guides.
Note they can pick you up anywhere in Tulamben should you decide not to stay at Liberty Dive Resort.

Tauch Terminal looks a little more our cup of tea - it is on my list now. You all helped me knock out two itineraries in a day and a half! Thank you so much! One is with the Komodo live aboard and one is without. It'll be up to the hubs on which one we end up doing since I'm good with either option. I'll take any more do's/dont's/can't miss/skip advice you want to throw my way!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom