Bali Trip - Dive op/lodging and Komodo add-on advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

howswedeofme

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
After a few months of research for our first non-Caribbean trip, we are close to settling on two weeks in Bali (other contenders were Fiji, Raja Ampat, and Fakarava/Rangiroa). We are going for two-ish weeks, ending up with 12-13 days of vacation time not including the travel time. I’ve heard that Komodo has great diving but it looks like it is quite an undertaking to get there and back. Is the hassle worth it? If so, how long should we plan to stay there?

Also, we are leaning toward OK Divers and staying at the affiliated resort in Padangbai. Has anyone used this op? Or stayed at this resort? Is there a different lodging/op option we should be considering? Is this a good area to stay in to get to a variety of dive sites (I like macro and corals, can’t wait to do some muck; husband likes big stuff and wrecks) as well as some good topside for the off days or should we be looking somewhere else on the island?

Komodo is a quick and easy flight from Bali. Diving Komodo is well worth going there. It's got big stuff, small stuff, all kinds of stuff. I like LOB'S there the best then for second choice I like Scuba Junkies Resort.

I would suggest you split your time diving in Bali between Padang Bai and Tulamben.
PB will give your husband nice reefs, manta's at manta point, and Tulamben will give you your muck diving.

After a few months of research for our first non-Caribbean trip, we are close to settling on two weeks in Bali (other contenders were Fiji, Raja Ampat, and Fakarava/Rangiroa). We are going for two-ish weeks, ending up with 12-13 days of vacation time not including the travel time. I’ve heard that Komodo has great diving but it looks like it is quite an undertaking to get there and back. Is the hassle worth it? If so, how long should we plan to stay there?

Also, we are leaning toward OK Divers and staying at the affiliated resort in Padangbai. Has anyone used this op? Or stayed at this resort? Is there a different lodging/op option we should be considering? Is this a good area to stay in to get to a variety of dive sites (I like macro and corals, can’t wait to do some muck; husband likes big stuff and wrecks) as well as some good topside for the off days or should we be looking somewhere else on the island?
We take divers from Bali to Komodo and back, diving along the way. It's a great option if you don't want the hassle of domestic flights. I am not sure when you will be traveling but we would be happy to check if we still have available spaces for you both. Feel free to email us info@adelaar-cruises.com

Bali has some nice dive sites - what time of year are you looking at? Nusa Lembongan (boat trip from Bali) had great diving, and the chance to dive "Manta spot" - we saw lots of mantas both times we went. (We were not impressed with blue corner dive though)

Amed/Tulemben is also good - lots of macro and Liberty is a nice wreck. We went with Adventure divers, and they were good.

Raja Ampat is out of this world, so if you have the chance go! Do a LOB for 10 days or more (we really regretted we only did 7 days!

Currently I'm planning a trip to Komodo, it looks amazing, really can't wait.

I just got back from Raja Ampat on Amira. It was my 3rd time. Can highly recommend it. Also did Komodo with them last year, I found it crowded.
Also stayed in Padang Bai before Komodo LOB last year, September. Mola mola season in September. Aquamarine was booked my airport transport and diving. I can also recommend them.

Komodo is very easy to go to from Bali, approx 10 unexpensive 1,5hr flights per day. it is def worth going, some of teh best diving in Indonesia.
Komodo may be better on a liveaboard but still very enjoyable if you pick operations located on the islands (Komodo resort or Scuba Junkie) or an operation in Labuan Bajo that has a speed boat (Dragon Dive Komodo, Blue Marlin), otherwise it can be tedious to get on the spots.

OK Divers in Padang Bai? well... using a Czech operation for diving Bali doesn't immediately spring to my mind (read "to my interest") I sometimes went there for eating which is OK and can see how their grirngo divemasters look quite opiniated how they are the best in town... Hence i prefer diving with experienced local guides at Gekodivers.
I usually stay at Puri Rai, at least their 3 pools are not in front of the restaurant nor on the side of the main road, they're also 200m close to Gekodivers.

As the dirtfarmer explained, Tulamben is the main muck diving area : Tulamben is NOT Amed, it's 30min to 1hr drive (depending on which Amed village you stay). I strongly recommend to stay in Tulamben if diving is your main goal.

Luko, why Tulamben, if diving is main goal vs Padang Bai?

Thanks, Luko. We’d prefer experienced local guides so I will look into Gekodivers. I’m admittedly unfamiliar with any of the ops, hence the post. Most of them have good reviews across the board online which isn’t very helpful.

We are going in late May or early June. We don’t want to do a liveaboard this time so we are saving Raja Ampat for next time.

If we split the trip between Bali and Komodo, what’s the best way to do the split? Head straight to Komodo or for the latter part of the trip? How many days should we stay in Komodo? Our hesitation to go is that it’s a long trip to get out to Indonesia and a long trip back; we didn’t want to add two days of travel in the middle. Komodo may also need to wait until we can do a liveaboard another time but I wanted to get all the information I can now so we don’t have any vacation planning regrets later.

Luko, why Tulamben, if diving is main goal vs Padang Bai?

The comparison was not Padang Bai vs. Tulamben but rather Amed vs. Tulamben. My thoughts were continuing DF's suggestion, which is good IMO.

I would suggest you split your time diving in Bali between Padang Bai and Tulamben.
Padang Bai would be a perfect base for diving Nusa Penida, spotting bigger animals and maybe a rhinopias or two if they dare showing up, while if the OP can split their stay Tulamben -as you know- is the main macro/muck spot in Bali NOT Amed that is quickly put altogether by another poster.

We are going in late May or early June. We don’t want to do a liveaboard this time so we are saving Raja Ampat for next time.

If we split the trip between Bali and Komodo, what’s the best way to do the split? Head straight to Komodo or for the latter part of the trip? How many days should we stay in Komodo? Our hesitation to go is that it’s a long trip to get out to Indonesia and a long trip back; we didn’t want to add two days of travel in the middle. Komodo may also need to wait until we can do a liveaboard another time but I wanted to get all the information I can now so we don’t have any vacation planning regrets later.

You can dive Komodo for cheap on a liveaboard, while staying in a comfortable suite. Check out my review of Dragon Dive Komodo liveaboard.
I'd suggest 4-5 days diving Central/North Komodo, you will still get a good overview of the sites.which are not numerous.
It's really easy to go to Komodo, and that will only take you 1 day diving off as the flight Komodo Bali is early morning you're in Tulamben at noon the same day and ready for a afternono+nightdive.

For instance, I can suggest this itinerary on 2 weeks that is almost similar to what I did in summer,although I added two more destinations in 3 weeks time (Kalimaya and Ubud).

J arrival at DPS airport
J+1 to J+4, transfer then 3 days diving from Padang Bai.
J+5 fly to Komodo no dive day.
J+6 to J+9 4 days diving Komodo (you can squeeze a short DDK liveaboard if J+5 is a sunday, J+9 will be thursday back to LBJ early afternoon), night at LBJ hotel.
J+10 morning flight to Bali
J+10 afternoon+night dive in Tulamben
J+11 to J+12 2 days diving in Tulamben
J+13 travel to DPS airport and fly back home.

In the end you get 8 dives from Padang Bai, 10-12 dives in Komodo and 7 dives in Tulamben

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom