Bali photos & brief trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Geoff_H

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We're just back from a fantastic Bali holiday with AquaMarine Diving Bali who organised the whole trip for us. They were very professional and we were extremely happy with the schedule, hotels and diving/guides they suggested

First stop was Tulamben Bay, home to the USS Liberty wreck which is - incredibly - an easy shore dive. It was hit by a torpedo, deliberately beached by its captain to save his men and then blasted back into the water by a volcanic explosion... what a great story & it is an equally good dive.

Apart from the wreck, there is good muck diving and some nice reefs and a drop off - all easily accessible by shore. On my first dive, I saw two types of ribbon eels, ornate ghost pipefish, cuttlefish, nudi's galore, orangutan crabs, pygmy seahorses, giant mantis shrimps and even a few reef sharks into the bargain... and some big schools of fusiliers.

Fusilier school

fusilierschool.jpg

A blue ribbon eel

blueribboneel.jpg

Black tip reef shark

blacktipreefshark2.jpg

Ornate ghost pipefish (crap photo, these were really tricky to expose properly and as you can see I failed miserably!)

ornateghostpipefish.jpg

Sweetlips

sweetlips.jpg

Next we moved to Padang Bai, which is a nice quiet spot a bit off the beaten track with good diving and easy easy to Nusa Penida which has some great dive sites.

On Nusa Penida we saw

Hawksbill Turtles

hawksbillturtle.jpg

turtleheadneck.jpg

Beautiful corals & abundant fish (these are both natural light, no flash)

sdnusapenida.jpg

nusapenida.jpg

Mantas
IMG_1905.jpg

Scorpionfish aplenty

leafscorpionfish.jpg

yellowleafscorpionfish.jpg

scorpionfishnusapenida.jpg

Back in Padang Bai, in Blue Lagoon there was still plenty to see, including the incredible cockatoo waspfish, cunningly mimicking a decaying leaf right down to the bacteria patches and the way it sways with the surge:

A quite fat seahorse

spikyseahorse2.jpg

Mantis shrimps scuttling away

mantisshrimp.jpg

This is so pretty I had to include it

boxfish.jpg

The ever curious batfish

yayoibatfish.jpg

Our great guide Angky, fortunately he was much better at finding critters than blowing bubble rings! Well worth asking if you can dive with him if you go through AquaMarine - very professional, laid back and a lot of fun....

IMG_1909.jpg

We moved from Padang Bai to Jimbaran Bay, close to Kuta and a very different pace of life... we had a couple of days off diving and here are a few of the topside photo's of some of the fantastic sights Bali has to offer

Rice paddies - this is just a stop on a road up Mt Batur - the whole journey had wonderful views life this

paddyfields.jpg

ricepaddy2.jpg

The volcano lake on Mt Batur - sadly we didn't get to dive this

mtbaturvolcanolake.jpg

Pura Nugung Kawi - we cleansed our bodies (& souls?!) in the pure spring water

puragunungkawi.jpg

A temple door at Gua Lawah

GuaLawah.jpg

Overall - 10/10 for Bali for underwater and above water attractions!

I dived the USS Liberty once, but apart from that I always dived in the nearby Gili Islands. Thanks to your lovely images, I now realise the Bali is pretty damn fine for diving as well. Thanks

Thank you for the trip report! I loved looking at the photos and dreaming of where I could be instead of freezing my butt off up here in Canada!

Thank you very much for sharing your photos. They are great. I also love looking at wonderful photos, both from above and under water.

I think your Sweetlips are "Golden Rabbitfish"! The only reason I know this, is because it took me a while to ID them, when I saw them in Thailand.

Tulamben is our favorite site - not the best for Indonesia standard; but its diversity, variation, easy diving; easy to reach, make us fall in love.
been there 4 x, and still not boring.

cheers

I agree it is a great site. The food at Tauch Terminal was pretty good too, although we stayed at a lower budget place down the beach. The women who carry the tanks across the large pebbley beach are awesome too.

Thank you for the trip report! I loved looking at the photos and dreaming of where I could be instead of freezing my butt off up here in Canada!

Glad to help.... I'm freezing back in chilly Tokyo now!

Thank you very much for sharing your photos. They are great. I also love looking at wonderful photos, both from above and under water.

I think your Sweetlips are "Golden Rabbitfish"! The only reason I know this, is because it took me a while to ID them, when I saw them in Thailand.

Thanks for pointing that out.. a quick consult to Debelius makes me agree with you - these are gold-saddle rabbitfish rather than sweetlips as I originally thought.... well done for spotting that!

Great report and pics. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom