Bali or Cook Islands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have dived both and Between the two Cook Islands rocks, no crowds great diving, Bali is a crock.

But if I had three weeks diving in the South Pacific and I wanted really big Wrecks and of course the big 5
Sharks
Mantas
Whales (Orcas)
Dolphins
Whale Sharks

maybe you should look at PNG.

http://www.diversionOZ.com

Me and my girlfriend were in Cook Islands last Nov, and it was the best vacation we have ever had. Very laid back, nice people, and empty beaches. However, the diving was not that great in my opinion, although the vis was outstanding. If you decide on Cook Islands, I recommend you to spend more time on Aitutaki than on Rarotonga. Aitutaki was superb, with one of the world's most beautiful lagoons.

/Gustaf

For beauty I can see Aitutaki is the best, but how was the diving there compared to Rarotonga? We went to Manihi & Bora Bora last year and were soooo impressed with diving Manihi (Vis was insane & so many fish it was unbelievable). Hoping for more of the same from the Cooks... what is your opinion?

I've never been to Bali so I can't compare.

I spent three weeks in the Cooks and it was one of the best holidays I'd ever had. The people were nice and I felt very safe and extremely laid back.

My favourite place was Aitutaki. The lagoon there gets my vote for best beach in the world (if you're there, you must do at least one lagoon cruise). I didn't get a chance to dive but did a bit of snorkelling and it was okay.

I also enjoyed island hopping to some of the smaller islands. The accommodation and amenities were more basic but I loved the feeling of being able to walk or cycle and feel like I was the only person on the island.

Hi,
Some of my friends who open a dive center here in Bali always told me that actually Bali is a world class premiere dive site. You could find almost any of marine creature here. I started to believe in that after logged almost 170+ dives here.One of my trips to Gili Biaha proved that it has everything in one place, shark cave, lobster, different varieties of nudibranch and beautiful wall in one place.
Nusa Penida and Gili Tepekong with their wild and unpredictable current offer something new for your scuba experience. A client of our friend in fact brought his official reef hook he bought in Palau to Gili Tepekong and got it broken after one dive. Can you imagine how is the current here?
I believe that Bali combined with its beauty and culture along with many good restaurants and nice lodging, could be your best choice for your scuba diving vacation. FYI, since the bomb blast tragedy, everything's price is cut down, aside from helping this local people, you can also have a good and on budget trip.

BALI IS GREAT!

I visited Bali several years ago and my 2 week visit went by very fast.
Like the above comments - the main cities of Kuta and Sanur are tourist areas - AVOID THEM. :upset:
The diving close to these cities is OK and I did a few dives close to town (Nusa Dua, Nusa Penida) and liked Padang Bai but found this was all surpassed by
Tulamben and Menjangan Island.

I spent a week at the town of Lovina, went diving everyday to Menjangen Island and was so impressed by the color and quanitity of sealife that it was the single event that got me back into Underwater photography. I seemed to never see the same coral, anenome, or sponge twice on a dive - so much color and sealife diversity. There were huge schools of fish that layered themselves along the reef with the smallest ones closest and the larger ones further away from the reef. I kept wishing I had a camera.
The reefs were healthy, turtles would let you get within 1 meter of them and the water was warm/clear.

Yes during that week one tank blew an O-ring during setup and one of the rental SPG failed, but I carry my own regulator / computer so I never had any events. If you are worried, take your own reg and avoid the rental ones.

I also went off peak season and found I could negotiate price VERY WELL. In Asia, higher denomination US currency ($50 or $100 notes) have higher exchange rates. Prior to arriving I was quoted $65 USD per day (2 tanks) over the Internet, when I got there I bargained HARD and got 3 days of diving for a $100 bill.

Topside there are many other non-diving things to do; temple tours, snorkeling with a school of 100+ mini-dolphins, white water rafting, volcano and jungle hikes.

I am planning to go back this year, it was a great time in a nice place. I may go next month as I just found out that Singapore airlines has R/T airfares SFO-SIN for $495 through March.

Here are a few links on Bali diving to help you:

Bali Paradise

Bali SCUBA Directory

I avoided Bali - I spent one night in Sanur before heading to Komodo. But on the way back to the airport in Bali, I caved in and decided to check out Tulumben. I completely fell in love with the place. North Bali is lovely, Tulumben is great as is Amed and I've heard great things about Menjangan. Nusa Penida is supposed to be good. Padangbai is definitely for advanced divers but oh my god do they have a NICE beach there (not the lagoon, the other one).

Just a note from someone who was determined to avoid the hell that is Bali and ended up really liking it. Obviously, don't go anywhere near Kuta.

I thought Bali was spectacular also and spent 2 weeks there without getting bored or feeling in a rut.

Then again, there was a Kiwi in our group who kept ranting about the Cook Islands.

What is the best way to get to the Cook Islands - go through Sydney?

Aitutaki would have the best diving in the Cooks. Rarotanga would have the culture, but the outer islands are best for the diving. I flatted with a good friend from Aitutaki before it had any dive charters there. The Island is actually an atoll with one larger island and smaller ones around the ring. You can walk around the rim of the coaral like the locals. The island is not first class, but is very bearable and the people are friendly. Don't look for alot to do. Maybe split your trip in two and then you will get the best of both worlds. You can dive Rarotanga but the reefs aren't as nice.
You'll love it. Not as busy as Bali and get into the culture. Be prepared to rough it a little and you'll have a great time. The currency is either Cook Is dollar or NZ dollar. Currently the green back is almost 2-1 ratio so there is value for money and there are no bombs going off. Watch out for falling coconuts. ( The Cook Is. Liberation Front claims responsibility for that...lol)
Cheers Ears,
Gasman

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom