Bali or Bunaken?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just came back from Bali. We did Tulamben (6dives - 2nd time to Tulamben), Menjangan (4dives) & Permuteran (3dives).
We went to Bunaken & Lembeh in Nov 2007.
We love Lembeh! But night muck diving at Permuteran is really wonderful too... I think Menjangan is comparable to Bunaken & I prefer the colours at Menjangan. Bunaken has green sea turtles, several pygmy seahorses, Menjangan has 4 pygmy seahorses on 1 single sea fan... It is a difficult decision...

If u are looking for diving only, then I'd say Bunaken all the way.
But bear in mind there is basically nothing to do besides diving. While Bali is a pretty well-developed tourist-city.

I can confirm what others say about bunaken: Diving is great, but there is not much else to do, especially if you are staying on the island. Before flying out, I stayed over night at Manado, total about 24 hours. If I'd found a shirt with text "I went to manado and all I could find was this lowsy t-shirt", I would have bought it, but couldn't find even that....
Summary: world class diving, but be sure to pack some books and a hammoc.

Hi - sorry bit late but here's my view.

Went to Bunaken and Lembeh over Christmas 2008, having heard about these "magical" places every since I got certified in 2002 on the Perhentian Islands off West Malaysia. Stayed at Two Fish Divers at both sites, started with three days in Bunaken and then four in Lembeh. As someone already mentioned, Two Fish's Lembeh operations is total shambles -- it is basically a camp site with a few shacks dressed up as bungalows. And at USd 25 a night it is not even cheap. But their dive guide Opu makes up for it all - this guy is just amazing. He found us a baby frogfish (looks like a tiny nudibranch), the smallest squids and all the other stuff you hope to see at Lembeh: Ambon Scorpionfish, attacking Frogfishes, cuttlefish large medium and small sized, and one of our divers spotted the wonderpuss on an dawn dive when the rest of us was too tired. They do long dives -- I have one in my log of 94 minutes.

Lembeh is for the lovers of weird stuff. It is basically sandy slopes with very little coral, but heaps of the cool and weird. I enjoyed it, but my buddy was a bit offended by the junk floating in the water you need to get through when you go down -- including, euh, human waste. I just considered it a matter of timing. If you have some money to spend, I think the KKB resort is the way to do it -- we looked at it with healthy envy from our camp site.

It's rainy season in Bunaken around Xmas, so we stuck mostly to diving around Bunaken island itself. The reefs are very healthy, but I was surprised that there's not that much fish. Sure there's enough fish to look at -- but not the big schools of small cute fish you sometime see elswehere in Asia. Also the variety of fish was a bit dull -- we had dives (3x a day) when we saw nothing "special". Now I am a spoiled diver ever since having the opportunity to dive (and stay) on Sipadan, which has since become my benchmark, and I enjoyed the diving around Bunaken, but I was not blown away by it. My diving buddy, equally spoiled, felt the same, as did a very nice couple of dive instructors from the Maledives who were doing some diving on their own off-season. They skipped some dives in Bunaken 'cause they didn't see the point. By contrast, they didn't stop diving in Lembeh.

I'd say that if you are sure you like the muck diving in Lembeh (which is, in my mind, really cool), then go for that and add a few days in Bunaken because you are in the neighbourhood anyway. If you are not sure about Lembeh, then I think, there's more fun places to dive in Asia then Bunaken, with more flexibilty to see different places. Like someone said, if you stay on Bunaken -- you'll be confined to your resort. We stayed at Two Fish on Bunaken Island, which was okay.

For example the Visayas in the Philippines, where you can dive six or seven different spots in say 3 weeks, all equals of Bunaken but with their own twist. Pescador Island for the whitetip sharks and the vast amount of fishes, Apo Island for the beauty of the reefs and the mandarins and weird stuff close to Dumaguette, Alona Beach because it is paradise to stay (bars, other people, various restaurants, decent hotels) and Balicasag Island rivals Bunaken in every aspect, Sohod Bay because no one goes there and there's whalesharks in season, Malapascua where you can see the threshers and the sea snakes near Gato Island which is a brilliant day trip. All within 2/3 hours travel distance from each other, with Sogod Bay the exception taken the better part of 12 hours.

I went to Bali for surfing after the week in Sulawesi, and did not try the local diving so cannot comment there. Am off to scout Pulau Weh off Northern Sumatra over Easter :D and will report back how it compares to Bunaken here afterwards.

Cheers, Arie

Thanks to everyone for your posts. We have decided to go to bali.It is a very close call. Most of the posts on this forum were for North sulawesi, but bali got more votes on another forum. The molas, mantas, and topside adventures swung the balance in favor of Bali for me. Plus, I'll still be able to see alot of the creatures that drew my attention to north sulawesi in the first place, e.g. mimic octo., pygmy pink plucked chickens, ghost pipefish, etc. We're planning 4 days at tulamben, 5 at nusa penida, 5 at pemuteran and menjangan, and 2 nights at ubud.

I've never been diving in Manado yet. Looking for Mola-mola in Bali is another unforgettable experience. It will start from July until October. You can only see it in Bali's underwater. There are some dive point to find it so you will have many choices for diving. Maybe after Bali you can go to Manado for other dives.

I saw Mola Mola in South Lombok.

Back
Top Bottom