Bali/N Sulawesi itinerary help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pjlinva

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been thinking about putting together a trip for me and my husband to Bali/N Sulawesi for late August/early September this year (2 weeks). Our goal is to mostly dive, see some of the scenery/culture, and stay at at least one nice resort. Since we'd be in Bali at the same time the Mola Molas might be there, I wanted to dive Crystal Bay, and maybe Manta Pt (we each have about 300 dives, and have dived Galapagos, Tahiti Aggressor, Palau, Yap... and are used to cold water, currents and reduced vis). I also read from this forum that the diving in Manjangen is nice, and the Mimpi resort there sure sounded great. And, I wanted to spend some time in N Sulawesi - Manado area, diving Bunaken and maybe Lembeh (we're not really muck divers or photographers - prefer nicer vis, pretty coral...- but I've heard such wonderful things about Lembeh and would like to give it a try.) The problem when I begin planning a trip is that I have a tendency to try and pack too much into the schedule and not allow enough time to relax and recover from jet lag. I'd really appreciate any input to help improve this rough schedule! So, here it goes:

Day 1 arrive in Denpasar, depending on arrival time, either overnight in nearby hotel (and head to Manjangen the next morning), or have a driver drive us to Manjangen the same day and then crash overnight in the Mimpi resort in Manjangen.

Day 2-4 Manjangen (relax, dive). Stay at Mimpi resort.

Day 5 Drive to Ubud and overnight there. Visit museum, shop, Monkey forest that afternoon and next morning...

Day 6 Early afternoon drive to ? as a base for next two days for diving Crystal Bay/Manta Pt. (not sure where yet - maybe Sanur, Seminyak, Candi Dasa or Nusa Lembongan/use World Diving op).

Day 7-8 Dive Crystal Bay (Mola Mola) / Manta Pt

Day 9 Fly from Denpasar to Manado. Stay at Hotel Santika/use Thalassa Divers.

Day 10-13 Dive Bunaken, Bangka/Bethlehem and maybe a day trip to Lembeh.

Day 14 off gas

Day 15 Fly home

I'm leaving next month for a similar trip, although I've added a week on a liveaboard in Komodo in between the Bali and Sulawesi parts.

Being someone who likes to take pictures, I've split my week in Sulawesi between Bunaken (Tasik Ria) and Lembeh (KBR).

We're limiting our Bali diving to Tulamben, since we only have three diving days in Bali ... but I've dived Menjangen Island before and it was wonderful. Was hoping to hit a couple other sites on the northwest side this time around, but had to make some choices ... and we chose to spend more time in Sulawesi.

Since you're going several months after me, I'll try to post some thoughts about the places we visit when we return in early April ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If you want to dive crystal and manta point then is best to stay in Sanur, all the dive shops (90%) are in Sanur. Much better than having a pick up and drop off in Seminyak or surrounds.

If you like a small, personalized shop try Crystal Divers - Bali, thats who i dive with

There are also several others in the area bali scuba, absolute scuba, blue seasons, all are professional outfits

Mike

ps I used to work on Tahiti Aggressor, when were you there?

Mike,
Thanks for your suggestions! I'm looking for a base for Crystal Bay that's convenient, and Sanur sounds like the way to go. Do you have any suggestions on where to stay there? I wonder if we met before? My husband, Michael and I were on the Tahiti Aggressor several years ago (I think September 05, but need to check my logs) - it was a great trip!
Paula

Bob,
Thanks for your post. You're right, we were also limited (by my vacation days) and made a choice on Bali of just diving two places (Manjangen and Crystal Bay) - so we're not hitting Tulamben this trip. Did you stop in Ubud when you were there before? Is it worth an overnight? Another option I was thinking about was extending our stay by one more day in Manjangen and just stopping in Ubud for a long afternoon? Hmmmm. What to do?
Bob, it sounds like you're going to have a great trip. I've read some really nice comments about the Komodo liveaboard on this forum. And yes, I'd really appreciate any tips or advice you can give when you get back! Thanks again!
Paula

We stayed at Tasik Ria when we dove Bunaken, and it was possible to do a day trip over to Lembeh, as I recall. But it's about a 2 1/2 hour drive (and be aware that public restrooms do not exist in Indonesia!)

Bunaken is definitely more colorful and had better water clarity, but the astonishing and bizarre creatures at Lembeh made it even more fun diving, for me. But then I don't mind monochrome bottoms or somewhat decreased viz.

TS&M,
thanks for your post. Did you by any chance dive Bangka or Bethlehem when you were in Bunaken? I wonder how these two sites compare to Lembeh -another scubaboarder commented that they might be "better" than Lembeh for bizarre creatures - a Lembeh without the "muck"?? But almost all other posts described Lembeh as a not to be missed muck dive site for the bizarre and wonderful. I noticed that Bob is also staying at the Tasik Ria - do you think that would be a better base for diving Bunaken, Bangka, and taking the very long day trip to Lembeh, than Hotel Santika, which I understand is about 10 minutes outside of Manado?
Paula

The problem with N Sulawesi is that it has so much to offer. Don't fall into the trap of trying to see everything and then not really getting to grips with anything.

Lembeh is something else. TSandM summed it up. If you did one thing it would be Lembeh but if you don't like "monochrome bottoms" and weird, tiny, ugly, - then don't bother. The other thing about Lembeh is that you need to hover (watch the fins or you'll kill the viz) and spend time - if you like to fin along and take the big tour, again Lembeh is not for you.

If you love walls, colour and big views, and drift dives then go for Bunaken. Hotel Santika puts you close.

But there is a half-way house - and it is little-known. They are finding more and more of the critters on Manado side. The water is clearer and slightly warmer than Lembeh. Staying at Lumbalumba or Tasik Ria puts you close to Poh-Poh for critters and they both have fantastic house reef dives. So you could see Bunaken and also experience some of the amazing critters. And the bonus is the snorkelling that you can do before you fly home. That way you can make the most of your time.

Pelan-pelan,
Lumbalumba and Tasik Ria actually sound perfect for what I'm looking for. Thank you!
Paula

We didn't do Bangka or Bethlehem. But we did dive the house reef at Tasik Ria, and did see some of the muck type creatures there. (GREAT night dive on that reef!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom