Bali help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I second what Dan_T said.

Get to Bali, head to Tulamben from the airport, do 8-10-12 dives on Nitrox for 2 days there, the third day transfer to Lembongan and dive for the next 3-4 days the Penida sites. You get more dives, you see more variety and I think have more fun... I did the Tulamben for 6 days with Liberty Dive Resort (20 dives, I took it easy) and now I'm in Lembongan with World Diving, did two dives today, have 12 more scheduled. Yeah, you are limited to two daily dives on Lembongan, that's true. That's why you go to Tulamben first and dive like crazy for a few days, so later two dives a day are just about right... LOL

I dived around Padang Bai 5 years ago, in addition to Lembongan and Tulamben. Loved it. But the other two sites were much more fun. Just my honest 2 pennies:wink:

Thank you for your post and repoly as well as Dan T's,

My wife and I are planning a trip to Bali for our 30th anniversary. We have been diving 10 years, but just a few dives away from cracking the century mark that we will do in Cozumel in a month. We would really love any additional input you have on the 2 sites Tulamben and Lembongan if you could. Being land locked in Nebraska it is difficult to get away as much as we would like to dive.

I consider us intermediate divers, my boyancy control is ok, Amy is better. We have experienced some moderate current in Cozumel (95% of all our dives done there as we love the place) but are not fond of current at all. Mild I can deal with. Would you be able to provide a bit more info on current at the two places you mentioned to assist us in out planning. We would also be fine just staying at one place, but would consider moving if it was really advantageous to our trip. We are meeting some friends in Bali for the second week of the trip (in June 18) so will do the above water stuff and hang out with some great friends and drink and tell "Real No **** Stories" (get better depending on the amount of libations involved) about life and just enjoy some beautiful sites above the water and take in the culture.

What I love in diving is to putter around a beautiful reef at 40 to 65 feet and find the tiny things and I am a huge fan of Coral and Fans. Amy loves the Fish and puts me to shame for fish I.D. I am always wanting to hunt for small hidden things that get passed over.

I know that is a lot of info to ask for,but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards:

JT and Amy.

Thank you for your post and repoly as well as Dan T's,

My wife and I are planning a trip to Bali for our 30th anniversary. We have been diving 10 years, but just a few dives away from cracking the century mark that we will do in Cozumel in a month. We would really love any additional input you have on the 2 sites Tulamben and Lembongan if you could. Being land locked in Nebraska it is difficult to get away as much as we would like to dive.

I consider us intermediate divers, my boyancy control is ok, Amy is better. We have experienced some moderate current in Cozumel (95% of all our dives done there as we love the place) but are not fond of current at all. Mild I can deal with. Would you be able to provide a bit more info on current at the two places you mentioned to assist us in out planning. We would also be fine just staying at one place, but would consider moving if it was really advantageous to our trip. We are meeting some friends in Bali for the second week of the trip (in June 18) so will do the above water stuff and hang out with some great friends and drink and tell "Real No **** Stories" (get better depending on the amount of libations involved) about life and just enjoy some beautiful sites above the water and take in the culture.

What I love in diving is to putter around a beautiful reef at 40 to 65 feet and find the tiny things and I am a huge fan of Coral and Fans. Amy loves the Fish and puts me to shame for fish I.D. I am always wanting to hunt for small hidden things that get passed over.

I know that is a lot of info to ask for,but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards:

JT and Amy.

The easiest diving in Bali is around the Amed area. This includes Tulamben. "Amed" is an area including Jemeluk and other locations. The "best" dive in the area is the Liberty wreck, but you likely wouldn't want to go to that wreck every day, every dive. So stay with a operator that can take you to the other locations around Amed as well. I have no problem diving in the greater Amed area for a week. In fact, we like to do Amed after we haven't dived in some time so we get used to it all over again. It's by and large a relaxing place to be -- and the dives are good!

I also have no problem going diving out of Padang Bai for a week, but the boat rides can be rough and many places have significant current. If you tell the Geko guys you want no or very small current, you can get that every dive but the areas will be limited. If you go on the "possible current" dives with Geko you will see more and better than Amed including Big Stuff like at least mantas.

- Bill

JT and Amy,

What billt4sf said is pretty much on the spot,

Tulamben is my favorite Bali area: No current, warm water year round (3 mil suit is plenty), incredible biodiversity, you will be ID-ing so much fish and other reef creatures that your head will be spinning... GoPro helps... Plenty of sites to keep you interested for a week of 3-4-5 dives a day diving... I'd base myself in Tulamben and then take a few rides up to Kubu, very close, 5 minute pickup ride, to explore there, or a short boat rides to Palung Palung or Batu Kelebit, or little more south... There are some nice coral fans all over the USAT wreck and I've seen quite a few big ones on the Tulamben drop-off dive, too.

You might also like diving in Menjangan area but I've never been there... I've heard and read that there is a great muck diving... Check out the "Diving Bali" book which was a great help when I was planning my first diving trip to Bali. It has an excellent and thorough overview of most, if not all, dive sites around the whole island of Bali. If you can't get in the States, it's been always in and out of stock at Amazon, it is easily available in Bali:

https://www.amazon.com/Diving-Bali-...F8&qid=1504539382&sr=8-2&keywords=diving+bali

In terms of where to stay, I'm partial to the Liberty Dive Resort because they are easygoing, you get your personal dive guide that can arrange pretty much everything and between dives you are relaxing back at the resort rather than on a boat or a beach, or a village parking lot, like everybody else who drives up here to dive. I'm not spoiled for comforts but I'd prefer my room, or my resort swimming pool, instead... There is nothing like waking up for a 5:30am morning dive on the wreck where there are only a few divers, if any, then come up and surface after one hour to a sun breaking over the horizon... And just walk for 3 minutes back to you resort to have a breakfast and relax before the next dive... Truly priceless!!!

They are also a fairly good deal for what you get, IMHO. I wrote them 2 reviews on Tripadvisor, feel free to check them out:

A top-notch dive resort!!! - Review of Liberty Dive Resort, Tulamben, Indonesia - TripAdvisor

Liberty Dive Resort ROCKS!!! - Review of Liberty Dive Resort, Tulamben, Indonesia - TripAdvisor

The only thing about Tulamben it is all about diving. There is not much going on in the village, everything just shuts down around 9pm, so you are stuck in your resort. It seems like you are both divers, so it shouldn't be a problem.

The other sites I have dived around Bali, in Padang Bai area and around Nusa Penida, all have currents, or swells. In Padang Bai, there is I believe only one site, Blue lagoon, IIRC, that has no current, maybe even the Tg. Silayukti [sp] site nearby, don't remember. It was 5 years I dived around there the last time.

With diving outfits based on Nusa Lembongan, you will dive around Nusa Penida, plus Mangroves, which a reef north of Nusa Lembongan. All are more or less drift dives, fairly easy, but never the same on subsequent dives. Sometimes faster, sometimes slower, sometimes water is fine 78F, sometimes, 3 days later, I'm freezing at 68-70F on the same site... It's fun though... When comparing it to Cozumel, I think the drifts on the northern reefs of Penida are slower but can change direction unexpectedly, very rare though, if you are diving with a proper outfit. The southern side of Penida has two sites Manta Bay and Manta Point and as the names suggests it is all about diving with reef mantas... You only dive there when conditions permit, Indian ocean swells can make it a little rough back-and-forth, or side-to-side diving in the best case, or completely crazy and dangerous, like in what the hell is happening, in the worst... Not really drift diving at these two sites... Again, good dive shop isn't going to bring you there when it's bad.... So, if you really want to see mantas, these two might be OK to check out, too...

Hope it's helpful... Get that book I recommended above and you'll find plenty of sites to your liking:wink:

Reactions: Dan
Yeah, regarding current it must be said that the currents in Indo are somewhat unpredictable, not like Cozumel (AFAIK) where they tend to be quite predictable.

The reason is:
Indonesian Throughflow - Wikipedia

Ocean temps vary quite a bit (and somewhat unpredictably) as well, for the same reason.

Operators can find you places where the current will be minimal (near shore, bays, etc. and most of the Amed area). But outside of those known areas, it would only be prudent to be able to handle a bit of current. You can still ask the operators to keep you out of really known high current areas (they will anyway) but there's an element of unpredictability that isn't the case in many areas of the world.

For sure bring an SMB (ONE FOR EACH DIVER), whistle, light, and mirror. But those you should always have, any dive, anywhere. (For my part, I don't lie awake at night worrying about being lost at sea. I lie awake at night worrying about being thought so stupid as to be lost at sea for lack of a $2 mirror.)

- Bill

JT and Amy,

What billt4sf said is pretty much on the spot,

Tulamben is my favorite Bali area: No current, warm water year round (3 mil suit is plenty), incredible biodiversity, you will be ID-ing so much fish and other reef creatures that your head will be spinning... GoPro helps... Plenty of sites to keep you interested for a week of 3-4-5 dives a day diving... I'd base myself in Tulamben and then take a few rides up to Kubu, very close, 5 minute pickup ride, to explore there, or a short boat rides to Palung Palung or Batu Kelebit, or little more south... There are some nice coral fans all over the USAT wreck and I've seen quite a few big ones on the Tulamben drop-off dive, too.

You might also like diving in Menjangan area but I've never been there... I've heard and read that there is a great muck diving... Check out the "Diving Bali" book which was a great help when I was planning my first diving trip to Bali. It has an excellent and thorough overview of most, if not all, dive sites around the whole island of Bali. If you can't get in the States, it's been always in and out of stock at Amazon, it is easily available in Bali:

https://www.amazon.com/Diving-Bali-...F8&qid=1504539382&sr=8-2&keywords=diving+bali

In terms of where to stay, I'm partial to the Liberty Dive Resort because they are easygoing, you get your personal dive guide that can arrange pretty much everything and between dives you are relaxing back at the resort rather than on a boat or a beach, or a village parking lot, like everybody else who drives up here to dive. I'm not spoiled for comforts but I'd prefer my room, or my resort swimming pool, instead... There is nothing like waking up for a 5:30am morning dive on the wreck where there are only a few divers, if any, then come up and surface after one hour to a sun breaking over the horizon... And just walk for 3 minutes back to you resort to have a breakfast and relax before the next dive... Truly priceless!!!

They are also a fairly good deal for what you get, IMHO. I wrote them 2 reviews on Tripadvisor, feel free to check them out:

A top-notch dive resort!!! - Review of Liberty Dive Resort, Tulamben, Indonesia - TripAdvisor

Liberty Dive Resort ROCKS!!! - Review of Liberty Dive Resort, Tulamben, Indonesia - TripAdvisor

The only thing about Tulamben it is all about diving. There is not much going on in the village, everything just shuts down around 9pm, so you are stuck in your resort. It seems like you are both divers, so it shouldn't be a problem.

The other sites I have dived around Bali, in Padang Bai area and around Nusa Penida, all have currents, or swells. In Padang Bai, there is I believe only one site, Blue lagoon, IIRC, that has no current, maybe even the Tg. Silayukti [sp] site nearby, don't remember. It was 5 years I dived around there the last time.

With diving outfits based on Nusa Lembongan, you will dive around Nusa Penida, plus Mangroves, which a reef north of Nusa Lembongan. All are more or less drift dives, fairly easy, but never the same on subsequent dives. Sometimes faster, sometimes slower, sometimes water is fine 78F, sometimes, 3 days later, I'm freezing at 68-70F on the same site... It's fun though... When comparing it to Cozumel, I think the drifts on the northern reefs of Penida are slower but can change direction unexpectedly, very rare though, if you are diving with a proper outfit. The southern side of Penida has two sites Manta Bay and Manta Point and as the names suggests it is all about diving with reef mantas... You only dive there when conditions permit, Indian ocean swells can make it a little rough back-and-forth, or side-to-side diving in the best case, or completely crazy and dangerous, like in what the hell is happening, in the worst... Not really drift diving at these two sites... Again, good dive shop isn't going to bring you there when it's bad.... So, if you really want to see mantas, these two might be OK to check out, too...

Hope it's helpful... Get that book I recommended above and you'll find plenty of sites to your liking:wink:

Richdrogpa and Billt4sf,

Thank both, and thank you for everyone who has posted to answer our questions. At this time we are going to take you advice and try to book at Liberty Dive Resort. The idea of having our own dive guide daily and being able to do wat we want is just too awesome to pass up. Plus if I want to putter around in the same spot or do a second dive in the same spot it seems like we can. We were reading your reviews and all your replies this moring and just could not be happier at the prospect of this trip.

We did order the books and Amy even got one for a good price on her Tablet reader. Now to figure out how to get there from the Airport. Not sure if a Taxi will go all that way up there for a one way fare.

Also, when it come time to tip our Dive Guide, can you provide any input into how much is a good amount. I have always had issues figuring out how much to tip and either over or under do it. Don't want to come off as a Cheap ass American.

That brings to mind the question of security. I am Military and no matter what I do, I look like it. I stick out like a turd in a punch bowl. I looked at the State Dept website and got the approval of the Navy for the trip to Bali. There are some places in Indonesia I can not go. However, did you feel safe there, and are there any things to watch out for that come to your mind. I am generally very safety and security conscious as that is how we are trained. Unfortunately, America is not loved all over the world. Mexico and Cozumel in particular I have never had any issue with. In fact Cozumel is safer than the city I live in.

Thank again for all your great advice and your reviews and book suggestions. We are already counting the days down to this trip.

JT & Amy

Richdrogpa and Billt4sf,

We did order the books and Amy even got one for a good price on her Tablet reader. Now to figure out how to get there from the Airport. Not sure if a Taxi will go all that way up there for a one way fare.

Also, when it come time to tip our Dive Guide, can you provide any input into how much is a good amount. I have always had issues figuring out how much to tip and either over or under do it. Don't want to come off as a Cheap ass American.

That brings to mind the question of security. I am Military and no matter what I do, I look like it. I stick out like a turd in a punch bowl. I looked at the State Dept website and got the approval of the Navy for the trip to Bali. There are some places in Indonesia I can not go. However, did you feel safe there, and are there any things to watch out for that come to your mind. I am generally very safety and security conscious as that is how we are trained. Unfortunately, America is not loved all over the world. Mexico and Cozumel in particular I have never had any issue with. In fact Cozumel is safer than the city I live in.

JT & Amy

Hi JT,

Yes a taxi can get you from DPS to Tulamben. Not sure the fare for that route, we generally pay around 300,000Idr (about $8) for the driver to wait for us at the airport and take us 2 hours to Ubud. We use a driver named Gede Wira at +62 812-3657-639. We contact him on What's App. There are many drivers, but it's nice to know a reliable driver with good car with working seatbelts and good tires.

ha ha tips -- the suggestions are all over the place. Be aware that Bali is generally NOT a tipping culture. We leave the change for meals but tip DMs about 100,000 Idr / day *IF* they give you great service (others will say this is far too little or far too much!). We never carry our gear (back issues) and we make that clear up front. Not that we have ever been disappointed.

I don't think anyone in Bali will be able to pick out a "military guy" aside from other tourists. The locals will probably not even recognize you as an American. We have always feel very safe, but I would not leave my laptop, passport, or wallet laying around.

Have fun and enjoy Bali's culture. It's unique!

- Bill

Reactions: Dan
Richdrogpa and Billt4sf,

Thank both, and thank you for everyone who has posted to answer our questions. At this time we are going to take you advice and try to book at Liberty Dive Resort. The idea of having our own dive guide daily and being able to do wat we want is just too awesome to pass up. Plus if I want to putter around in the same spot or do a second dive in the same spot it seems like we can. We were reading your reviews and all your replies this moring and just could not be happier at the prospect of this trip.

Thank again for all your great advice and your reviews and book suggestions. We are already counting the days down to this trip.

JT & Amy

:) You worry too much. Once you are there, you will understand why I like to go there almost every year for the last 10 years. This video may ease your feeling a bit:

That Bali Diving book is a good reference book. I have it too & bring it with me just about every time I'm there.

I'll be there in December bringing 5 of my dive buddies from Texas, who have never been there. So far, just about everyone I bought to Bali loves the place. Some of them came back several times to Bali with me as stop over before going to to other Islands in Indonesia as Bali is a good hub to go to the other diving places like Alor, Komodo, Raja Ampat, Wakatobi, Bunaken, Lembeh, etc.

You'll have fun in Bali!

Last edited:
Bill & Dan,

Thank you both so much as well as everyone else. Amy just hit Book on the flights and we have heard back from Wayan at Liberty Dive Resort. We could not be more excited. You guys have been amazing and I hope to get the change to dive with you some day. Hopefully in Bali.

As far a worrying too much. You are so right. It's what I do. Can't get the training out of my head and they keep pounding it in.

With the prices so good Amy convinced me to upgrade the room to a cottage if they have it. Wish us luck.

Will be sure to touch base after the trip and let you know how it all went. Not till June of 2018, but time will fly.

Regards;

JT & Amy

Hi JT & Amy,

I usually use the Liberty Dive Resort shuttle from the airport. IIRC, it's something like $40 or $45 straight from the airport to LDR. You can probably get it cheaper, if you've been there before and know some drivers that you can call up. The uber and grab taxis are forbidden in Bali, so you cannot arrange your transport via their apps. If you don't know any drivers, the taxi drivers at the airport will probably charge you as much, after too much hassle. Plus, you might have a hard time to find somebody to drive you out there. It's a 3 hour drive to Tulamben, more with traffic. And they still need to come back... So, I just arrange the LDR transport to make easy on myself...

Regarding tipping, I gave my guide IDR 1,000,000 for 6 days diving, if generous or not, I don't know, but I was very happy with him. He was super flexible with my schedule and looked out for stuff I asked him about. It came out to something like $3-$4 per dive which I was more than happy to part with:wink:

Regarding safety, Bali is super safe. Just be yourself, smile a little, mind your own business, and enjoy your diving vacation... Tulamben, Ubud, Nusa Lembongan are super safe.

PS: If you end up spending a few days in Kuta, watch your staff when on a beach... Some boys have sticky fingers, but they usually target young girls and lonely women... Just ignore the hawkers and hustlers and you'll be fine:wink:

JT,

Also, I forgot when are you going to Bali but this might look very enticing:

Flight Deal: U.S. to Bali from $560 Round-Trip

I know it's in off-season, you need to fly from January 'til May 2018... But what a deal!!! And it is with the Singapore Airlines, not some cheap no-name airline... Something to consider:wink:

Back
Top Bottom