Bali help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sbaggs

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So we're planning on heading to Bali March/April 2008. We plan to spend a week at Wakatobi, but we will have a few days before Wakatobi to spend in Bali and then a week after Wakatobi to spend in Bali. I am feeling overwhelmed when trying to figure out where to spend that time in Bali. My husband likes to see the small stuff when diving, while I tend to like the pelagics but I'm open to the small stuff as well. I've spent hours and hours reading reviews on this forum today and it hasn't helped narrow it down for me. If we had to split our week between two spots in Bali, does anyone have suggestions for those to spots and where to stay? We're not huge wreck divers, but from what I understand there is other great diving in that area besides the wreck dive. Apparently I need help, so...help!

I'm not sure if the mola mola's and mantas are in season then (maybe someone can chime in here) so not sure if it's worth diving Nusa Penida then.

I would highly recommend Tulamben. Others have also raved about the great macro in front of Seraya which is just down the road (short boat ride to USS Liberty).

Don't think you need to be a wreck fan to appreciate Tulamben/ Liberty. It's more the fish and coral that have been attracted to this wreck, along with with calm conditions and great viz, that really make this site great for all divers.

We were in Bali in April this year and got to see Mantas off Manta Point (Where else?) southwest of Nusa Penida. The viz was a bit iffy though, but that is how the Mantas like it.

We spent three weeks in Sept. in Bali. We split our dive time between Nusa Penida and Menjangan Island. (We were supposed to spend a few days in Tulamben as well, but a nasty case of Bali-belly shot down those plans). I did a total of nine dives at Nusa Penida and, sadly, never did see any Mola Mola, but even without them the dives were fantastic! In fact I kinda wish now that it hadn't been Mola season, because we spent far too much time searching for Mola and not enough time just enjoying the walls and reefs. If you go there in Spring, that's outside of Mola season so you wouldn't waste time Mola-hunting and would spend more time just enjoying.

Nusa Penida also offers Manta Point, where we saw a number of huge Manta Rays. This was a magical experience.

Menjangan Island is very different, but fantastic diving. We saw big stuff (sharks, various types of rays) and lots of small stuff (nudis, ghost pipefish, pygmy seahorse). I'm told that Tulamben has a bit more interesting varieties of small stuff, and I'm somewhat disappointed that I didn't make it there, but I was thrilled in general with my diving experiences at both places.

For Nusa Penida diving, you can stay in many different areas within driving distance and your dive op will come pick you up. For Menjangan Island the options are far more limited. We stayed at the Mimpi Menjangan, which was fantastic, but is on the high end of the market.

I'm finally getting around to writing up my trip reports, which I plan on posting here soon. Good luck with your travel plans!

I've been to Bali twice - in October 2001 and in September 2003, and highly recommend Tulamben also, and I've heard great reviews on th emacro in Seraya next door. I stayed at Tauch Terminal in Tulamben and did day trips to Nusa Penida for mola-molas, which I was fortunate to see on both occasions. I think Mimpi is slightly better, but they are also a bit pricier.

There are three dive sites in Tulamben that you access from shore: The Liberty Wreck on the left side of the bay, Coral Gardens in the middle, and the wall dive on the right side. Caution: the beach is not sandy, except as you approach the wall dive, so you need thick-soled booties or Tevas to traverse thru the rocks both on shore and out 15 to 20 feet.

I can't speak for what's in Nusa Penida during the springtime, but if you do stay in Menjangan as recommended by Leejnd, ask about diving Secret Bay a little further west. The water is cold here (it was mid 60's when I did it) but it's decent muck diving.

I think both of you will find what you want in Tulumben. Scuba Seraya is less expensive than Mimpi. Both are excellent choices.

If you are interested in the arts and culture of Bali, you should include Ubud. Ubud has so much to do, that you can spend several weeks there and not scratch the surface.

Thanks for the responses so far. It helps lots. I already figured we'd need to spend some time in Ubud as well. It looks pretty amazing. When you're traveling from as far away as Boise, Idaho I figure we better see as much as possible. Please keep the info coming...I'm researching as we speak.
Thanks.

Lots of great diving - I would recommend Scuba Seraya -
have lived in Indonesia for the last 6 years
PM me if you want some more info

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom