Bali for a few days after Wakatobi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ubud is kind of in the middle of the island, nowhere near a beach really. However, it's very interesting. You can hike through the terraced rice paddies, visit a local museum, perhaps see a musical or dance performance, watch woodworkers create objects for sale, interact with monkeys in the Monkey Jungle, etc. I'm not big on elephant rides since the process used to train the elephants to carry passengers amounts to torture of the animals when they're babies, but to each his or her own, I guess. If you're not particularly interested in diving, you could also go to the west coast of the island where there is some beautiful coastline and the Tanah Lot seaside temple. One the eastern side of the island, there's Gunung mountain, which you can hike to the top of to see the sun rise (be aware that it's a strenuous hike, not for the faint of heart or weak of leg!). You can visit Tirta Gangga water palace (summer palace in the highlands) and Pura Besakih temple (the "mother" temple of Bali) on that side as well.

If you have had enough beach and diving, then I also recommend Ubud. Please, skip the elephant ride. I'm with Quero on this one. I've seen too much abuse.

From Ubud the possibilities include:

1) Monkey Forest - It's a great 30-60 minute tour. I've explored every inch of the area. There's much small detail to see if you look. The monkeys are neat, although many are quite evil. I like to get there before the big buses arrive.
2) Get up early and go to the farmers market with your camera. Early, as in as soon as the sun rises. Walk up Monkey Forest Road, turn right on Jalan Raya Ubud. Keep walking and you will see it. Buy some pastries.
3) Take in the evening at a traditional dance. A theater is close by. You can see the Kecak/Barong/Fire dance.
4) Wood carving shopping. This is the one form of art I really care about in Bali. We have collected about 8 beautiful pieces of wood carvings, along with some other pieces. Shipping is painful and expensive if you don't take it with you. My favorite place to shop is Manis. You can watch some carvers in action. I usually negotiate to 40% of asking price, depending on the piece. We generally travel with 3 checked bags. In one of the bags is another full size duffel. When we get back to Bali after the diving, I switch stuff to the extra duffel and use a hard shell for the art. They will ship for you at what appears to be a reasonable price. This is a shared container and you have to wait. You will then get dinged for additional charges when it arrives.
5) Visit one temple. You can get templed out in Asia if you cram a bunch in a small time frame (like castles in Europe). Tanah Lot may be the most architecturally interesting temple, but you can't really walk around it. You just walk up and look across the water at it. It gets a billion + visitors everyday. I have a favorite temple, but I can't remember the name. I will have to look it up.
6) Cooking class. There are several in Ubud to choose from, just like there are plenty of good restaurants. I like to fix up my own mi goreng at home now.
7) I'm not big on the volcano tour, but if you are into hiking, then go for it.

Wakatobi usually provides guide services I believe. Their standards are very high. But, if they aren't handling it and you need a very trusty guide, I have one that I have used for many years. I've dined with him and his family up north in his tiny village.

Thanks for all the information, I will look into having Wakatobi help me with a guide and I think we will take in Ubud for our 2 extra days in Bali.

Padang Bai is a great little fishing village in East Bali. It is only one hour away from Denpasar and could be a great option whether you are looking at doing some last sneaky dives or just want to explore the inside of the island on day excursions.
Ubud is just 45 minutes by car away. Water palaces are also close by and a day trip to the Batur volcano is also an option.
As for the village itself, it is first and foremost a traditional Balinese place although there are a number of hotels and restaurants. Great place to see the true Bali.
If you're looking for a great hotel in the East of Bali, Alila Manggis is a great place to unwind before heading back home. Great spa, lovely food and great access to all the attractions you may want to go to.

Back
Top Bottom