Bali Family Holiday and Diving July 17

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grm

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
If like me you have to slot in diving with a family holiday you may find this useful, most of the time 2 dives were logged and I was back at the villa by 1.00pm

2 years ago was so good we are returning, the island is so large there is more than enough left to see for the first time. Air Malaysia (from U.K.) again good value and this time we included 3 weekends to give us 18 nights and make the most of long haul.
I believe a holiday here is as cheap as Europe, 2-3 Bed Villas with pool from less than £100 per night and eating out is ridiculously cheap.

Days 1-5 Tulamben Wreck Divers
The only reason to stay in this village is the diving but if you want to dive the Liberty Wreck and sites such as Seraya then staying here is a must, it cuts down on all the travel time.
Great pick up from the airport then a 3 hour drive but you get to enjoy the scenery. We stayed in their Villas which are about 1km from their main hotel and dive centre, breakfast is provided at the Villas and for lunch/ dinner you can order in or go into Tulamben where there are plenty of Warungs to eat at.
There are free scooters for you to use but we simply chose to walk, it is only 15-20 minutes and it is nice to stretch the legs, there are torches in the Villas you can use to light your way home.
The Villas are lovely and quiet, with large pools and right on the sea front giving you a lovely breeze. My wife and daughter enjoyed swimming and sun bathing whilst I was out diving, during the day even quieter as most occupants were diving too.

Diving
I found TWD to be very competent and well run, with a good number of instructors and DMs, all my 10 dives were 1 to 1
Liberty Wreck - interesting large Wreck, lots to see and great light through the Wreck, by far the best dive on the Wreck in my opinion is the 6.00am dive to see all the Bumphead Parrot fish leave the Wreck and watch / enjoy the light changing as the sun comes up, did this dive times. You can get another 2 dives in and still be back by 1.00pm for lunch with the family

Seraya and Sedum (Muck Dives) - whilst I suspect no where as good as other more famous destinations I enjoyed drifting over the black sand shooting all sorts of life, Rhinopas, Seahorses, Nudibranch including Cyerce Elegan which is quite rare I believe, Moray eels, Lionfish, Stonefish, Orangutang Crab, Harlequin Shrimp, Mantis Shrimp to name but a few

Food
We ate in a couple and didn't have any bad meals but ended up having all our lunches and 80% of our evening meals at Wayan's opposite a Wreck Divers, tasty, good value and a lovely breezy upstairs seating areas

Days 6-13 Candidasa
Our second time here and this time we chose a Villa located down a side road towards the end of Candidasa near Benthos Bali Diving
Vista Del Mar, a fantastic 2 bed villa with pool, our teenage daughter liked the fact the second bedroom was in a separate building 20 feet from the main villa. The pool is a generous size and just the right depth (5ft) and gets the sun for most of the day.
The owner is excellent with quick responses to emails and queries with local, we would definitely stay here again if we come back to Bali.

Diving
I used Benthos again, very professional and they start at 8.00am which often means you beat the crowds to the first dive of the day.
I like the variation of Candidasa hence why I am diving here again 2 years later, from the islands out front Mimpang & Tepekong with lots of varied fish life including Mola Mola (if you're lucky) to the macro dives at Blue Lagoon and The Jetty.
Must do are day trips to Manta Point, Crystal Bay and the lovely drifts at Ped are only half hour away at Padang Bai then its a quick 50 minute boat ride over. Manta point is very reliable and we had over a dozen circling us for 1 hour.

Food
Lots of places to eat, we generally breakfasted in the villa with fruit and toast, the 'go to' places for lunch was the Coffee shop next door, great baguettes and Cap Cay - lunch for 3 including a drink coming in at circa 200k idr or our other favourite for similar money for lunch was the Hot Dog Shack

Evening meals we ate around this time, The Hungry Crocodile is still great but Ganesh just 5 minutes walk turning left out the villa was equally as good (2 courses and a drink for 3 typically 500k idr) Astawa opposite Benthos very nice, great prawns and satay.
For simplicity we were really taken with Boni, about another 5 minutes walk past Ganesh, go up the hill at the crossroads - simple food and just 250k for 2 courses and a drink for 3 of us

Places Visited
A must do while in Candidasa is a walk to the top of the (Bukit Gungan) the view is stunning over Candidasa and the sea beyond, all it costs is 5,000idr - they take your money at the bottom of the hill
Nice to see Tenganan but once you had seen one weaving shop etc. the rest were the same. Tirta Gannga Water Gardens (tip take some fish food for the massive fish) were nice and a good place for lunch overlooking the gardens but we felt Ujung Water Palace was better but as they are close you can easily do both back to back - in fact all these 3 make a good tour route for a day from Candidasa

Days 13-18 Ubud
No diving☹️ but 5 days of sight seeing and relaxing

Like you, we are from the UK and are finding it cheaper to fly to Bali than Egypt now!!. Got 2 returns to Bali for November for less than £700 by buying 10 months before visit. Taken note of the Warung in Tulamben as we are returning again to stay at Matahari there. Love the diving at the wreck. We are also trying Pemuterin this time to get in some wall diving. All the best in your future dives...........Chris

Taken note of the Warung in Tulamben as we are returning again to stay at Matahari there.
IMO best warung in town is Warung Komang, just in front of Wayan's, live music performed by a band of diveguides every two other days.
Wayang is coming next (but has gone downhill since) along with Matahari restaurant.
To be avoided Sandya and Deco stop, really terrible food.

We are also trying Pemuterin this time to get in some wall diving.
The only benefit I would grant Pemuteran for is the food.
The specialty up there in the NW of Bali is the ayam betutu, (chicken filled with herbs and green chilli) super firy hot though one of Bali's specialties, it's quite good if you like spices actually. You may order a whole chicken a day before.

just came back from diving pemuteran,tulamben and nusa penida..all great. Wish we could have dived pemuteran more,especially the marine park more. beautiful area

Pkishino...........what was your favourite site at Pemuteran? Also did you do any wall diving around Menjangen Island and if so, again which site did you like?

If like me you have to slot in diving with a family holiday you may find this useful, most of the time 2 dives were logged and I was back at the villa by 1.00pm

2 years ago was so good we are returning, the island is so large there is more than enough left to see for the first time. Air Malaysia (from U.K.) again good value and this time we included 3 weekends to give us 18 nights and make the most of long haul.
I believe a holiday here is as cheap as Europe, 2-3 Bed Villas with pool from less than £100 per night and eating out is ridiculously cheap.

Days 1-5 Tulamben Wreck Divers
The only reason to stay in this village is the diving but if you want to dive the Liberty Wreck and sites such as Seraya then staying here is a must, it cuts down on all the travel time.
Great pick up from the airport then a 3 hour drive but you get to enjoy the scenery. We stayed in their Villas which are about 1km from their main hotel and dive centre, breakfast is provided at the Villas and for lunch/ dinner you can order in or go into Tulamben where there are plenty of Warungs to eat at.
There are free scooters for you to use but we simply chose to walk, it is only 15-20 minutes and it is nice to stretch the legs, there are torches in the Villas you can use to light your way home.
The Villas are lovely and quiet, with large pools and right on the sea front giving you a lovely breeze. My wife and daughter enjoyed swimming and sun bathing whilst I was out diving, during the day even quieter as most occupants were diving too.

Diving
I found TWD to be very competent and well run, with a good number of instructors and DMs, all my 10 dives were 1 to 1
Liberty Wreck - interesting large Wreck, lots to see and great light through the Wreck, by far the best dive on the Wreck in my opinion is the 6.00am dive to see all the Bumphead Parrot fish leave the Wreck and watch / enjoy the light changing as the sun comes up, did this dive times. You can get another 2 dives in and still be back by 1.00pm for lunch with the family

Seraya and Sedum (Muck Dives) - whilst I suspect no where as good as other more famous destinations I enjoyed drifting over the black sand shooting all sorts of life, Rhinopas, Seahorses, Nudibranch including Cyerce Elegan which is quite rare I believe, Moray eels, Lionfish, Stonefish, Orangutang Crab, Harlequin Shrimp, Mantis Shrimp to name but a few

Food
We ate in a couple and didn't have any bad meals but ended up having all our lunches and 80% of our evening meals at Wayan's opposite a Wreck Divers, tasty, good value and a lovely breezy upstairs seating areas

Days 6-13 Candidasa
Our second time here and this time we chose a Villa located down a side road towards the end of Candidasa near Benthos Bali Diving
Vista Del Mar, a fantastic 2 bed villa with pool, our teenage daughter liked the fact the second bedroom was in a separate building 20 feet from the main villa. The pool is a generous size and just the right depth (5ft) and gets the sun for most of the day.
The owner is excellent with quick responses to emails and queries with local, we would definitely stay here again if we come back to Bali.

Diving
I used Benthos again, very professional and they start at 8.00am which often means you beat the crowds to the first dive of the day.
I like the variation of Candidasa hence why I am diving here again 2 years later, from the islands out front Mimpang & Tepekong with lots of varied fish life including Mola Mola (if you're lucky) to the macro dives at Blue Lagoon and The Jetty.
Must do are day trips to Manta Point, Crystal Bay and the lovely drifts at Ped are only half hour away at Padang Bai then its a quick 50 minute boat ride over. Manta point is very reliable and we had over a dozen circling us for 1 hour.

Food
Lots of places to eat, we generally breakfasted in the villa with fruit and toast, the 'go to' places for lunch was the Coffee shop next door, great baguettes and Cap Cay - lunch for 3 including a drink coming in at circa 200k idr or our other favourite for similar money for lunch was the Hot Dog Shack

Evening meals we ate around this time, The Hungry Crocodile is still great but Ganesh just 5 minutes walk turning left out the villa was equally as good (2 courses and a drink for 3 typically 500k idr) Astawa opposite Benthos very nice, great prawns and satay.
For simplicity we were really taken with Boni, about another 5 minutes walk past Ganesh, go up the hill at the crossroads - simple food and just 250k for 2 courses and a drink for 3 of us

Places Visited
A must do while in Candidasa is a walk to the top of the (Bukit Gungan) the view is stunning over Candidasa and the sea beyond, all it costs is 5,000idr - they take your money at the bottom of the hill
Nice to see Tenganan but once you had seen one weaving shop etc. the rest were the same. Tirta Gannga Water Gardens (tip take some fish food for the massive fish) were nice and a good place for lunch overlooking the gardens but we felt Ujung Water Palace was better but as they are close you can easily do both back to back - in fact all these 3 make a good tour route for a day from Candidasa

Days 13-18 Ubud
No diving☹️ but 5 days of sight seeing and relaxing

We were in Bali (and Gili Air) in May with our 1 & 4 year-olds and also stayed in Tulamben (Liberty Dive Resort, which we loved) & Candidasa (Gengong Hotel, which was also great). I also dived with, and was very happy with, Benthos in Candidasa for Mimpang & Tepekong, and, looking at the map, the coffee shop you're referring must be the same one we frequented.

We also plan on going to Bali again in the future for more good and convenient diving and to see more of the island, maybe in 2 or 3 years. Next year we're thinking North Sulawesi or possibly the Maldives (if we win the premium bonds or find decent accommodation that doesn't break the bank!). Have you any experience of those places?

Next year we're thinking North Sulawesi or possibly the Maldives (if we win the premium bonds or find decent accommodation that doesn't break the bank!). Have you any experience of those places?

North Sulawesi with a family : Bangka is for you. An island with a lovely beach and awesome diving. Best season April-May. Check out Murex.

Maldives : personally I don't recommend Maldives for a few reasons.
- ethical : I dont support and dont want to put money in countries where minors of 12yo incur death penalty for religious reasons (or for ANY reasons).
- diving ; lots of sharks, few corals, low biodiversity
- tourism : you're clustered in a resort filled with european tourists and where no one working there is maldivian. NOTHING is local there, try the Andaman & Nicobar islands instead, you'll get the full panel of Indian bengali life around.
- QP ratio : awful, for the same accom and diving price range go to Fiji !

Last edited:
North Sulawesi with a family : Bangka is for you. An island with a lovely beach and awesome diving. Best season April-May. Check out Murex.

Bangka is my preferred option. I like that you can dive Bunaken and Lembeh from there too. My wifes currently put off by the cost & logistics of getting there (again) as we always go to Thailand when we're in SE Asia to see family. I'll work on her! :wink: How's July / Aug? as that's when we're restricted to as our eldest starts school this Sept.

I thought the Maldives could be a decent option as you can get direct flights from Bangkok (or a cheaper, easy indirect via KL or Sri Lanka), and its kinda on our way back home. I totally get your reasons for not going though. We always try to stay in locally owned and/or family-run hotels/resorts employing local people, and generally prefer supporting local businesses. We don't like big generic places owned by who knows or corporations, where you're treated like tourist cattle. I was thinking we could stay in a guest house on one of the inhabited islands, rather than the private resort islands (which are ridiculously expensive anyway). I wasn't aware of the death penalty for minors issue until now!

Andaman & Nicobar islands are appealing but awkward to get to from Bangkok.

Mabul/Sipadan is on my radar but not sure I want to risk it (small as the risk may be) given the current travel warnings for the area. Besides I don't think we could get travel insurance as our Govt is warning against all but essential travel. Logistically, N Sulawesi is probably easier anyway?

Other possibles are Pulau Weh, or Redang (my least favoured option) is still floating about.

Last edited:
For Bangka July & Aug can be a bit hit and miss, as it can get quite windy over that time. The earlier you go in July the better, check out the two albums from Bangka in July 2012 & 2013 for examples of what can be seen ( Angmo Al’s albums | Flickr ).

I have been to P Weh twice and honestly Bangka is much better.
Bangka is also head and shoulders better than Redang. This is not from personal experience but as I live in Singapore I have spoken to many people who have been there and that is the general agreement, although it is supposedly a very pretty island, although not as pretty as the Perhetian Islands just to the north.

I must admit I too have always dreamed of a Maldives holiday, calm blue water, stunning beaches etc etc....but it seems like a live aboard is a better bet, if diving is the focus. But man the $$$'s!!! As Luko mentioned it really does not look like you get bang for your buck, which you do get in Indo!

Absolutely love the Maldives for a chilled family holiday and easy access to dive sites and even great shore dives if you have a good house reef. We went 3 times around 2005-10 but would agree with comments above, the Maldives have now completely priced themselves out of the market.
That said there are some great live aboard deals now and the other option to consider since the law changed is there are at least a couple of outfits on the local populated islands which are far cheaper, may be worth an email to Benthos as one of the intructors there has a centre in the Maldives
I loved Pemuteran too, stayed there a couple of years ago, so peaceful and quiet. We used Amertha, the villas are semi detached but with their own pool, as we're a family we booked both sides so got the whole Villa and pool to ourselves, used Bali Diving Academy just up the beach who were great, recommend the Mandarin fish dive and Menjangen Island

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom