Bali diving in 2nd half of September 2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubakaas

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've read similar posts like my question, but since my trip is for 2 weeks Bali... 1 week for work and about a week to for diving relaxing.

Where to dive on Bali?
  • - North
  • - East (Bali, Nusapenida?)
  • - South

I'm still in doubt:
  • - Shore/boat (+ more time to experience the atmosphere (people, food, etc), - crowded dive sites):
    • where to stay (not too touristy, no need to hang in the bar all night)?

• - Liveaboard (+ ability to dive less crowded dive sites, , + diving diving diving, - stuck on the boat):
    • which company to use (and which company to avoid?)

Tripdetails:
  • - Diving from 22 Sept till 28 Sept (approx.)
  • - Diving Party: just me
  • - Dives per day: 3 (just a ball park figure)
  • - Dive experience: Instructor, 500+ dives, Nitrox-Adv, Wreck
  • - Outgoing flight on 29 Sept from Denpasar

I've read similar posts like my question, but since my trip is for 2 weeks Bali... 1 week for work and about a week to for diving relaxing.

Where to dive on Bali?
  • - North
  • - East (Bali, Nusapenida?)
  • - South

I'm still in doubt:
  • - Shore/boat (+ more time to experience the atmosphere (people, food, etc), - crowded dive sites):
    • where to stay (not too touristy, no need to hang in the bar all night)?

• - Liveaboard (+ ability to dive less crowded dive sites, , + diving diving diving, - stuck on the boat):
    • which company to use (and which company to avoid?)

Tripdetails:
  • - Diving from 22 Sept till 28 Sept (approx.)
  • - Diving Party: just me
  • - Dives per day: 3 (just a ball park figure)
  • - Dive experience: Instructor, 500+ dives, Nitrox-Adv, Wreck
  • - Outgoing flight on 29 Sept from Denpasar
I've been to Bali several times and I have a real simple philosophy, contact AquaMarine and they will set up everything for you, from airport transfers, hotels, and diving. From what I have been told, they are not the cheapest on the island, but I have used them several times, and their staff, vehicles, boats, and dive guides are all top notch. I was never in a group of more than three divers to one dive guide, actually one time there was 3:1 and every other time it was my wife and I with the dive guide, even when we went to Nusa Penida we were on our own boat.

Bali has one main choice to make, do you want to stay near the dive sites, or near all the other tourists (south). There is no good diving south of Candidasa (that i know of), although it is possible to stay in the south and make day trips to all the dive sites, but it makes for a lot of time traveling. I would recommend staying in a couple of places, but its all dependent on what you are looking for. I have not dove everywhere in Bali, but I would definetly recommend diving in three areas
Tulamben- Great for USS Liberty, macro and fishlife. Almost all shore dives (remember your booties as it is a rocky beach)
Nusa Penida- Good for pelagics, Mantas and Mola Mola especially. Clear water with strong currents. I usually would stay in Candidasa and take the 45 minute boat ride to Nusa Penida.
Any other questions just ask, I will be in Tulamben late on september 27th.

Given your dive experience and the time of year, I'd say to get yourself over to Nusa Lembongan and dive Lembongan and Penida to see the mola-molas. World Diving is a great place to start there. They have decent accommodation, and the village is tiny and not terribly touristy (though you'll see a whole lot of tourists, so the essentials of food and drink are readily available).

Nothing helpful but bummer! I'm traveling on my own, too, but don't land in Bali 'til the 27th :(

I'm going to Tulamben first up so if you're in the area on the afternoon of the 27th, I'd be up for a meet & greet with a cold Bintang and/or a late afternoon dive!

Nothing helpful but bummer! I'm traveling on my own, too, but don't land in Bali 'til the 27th :(

I'm going to Tulamben first up so if you're in the area on the afternoon of the 27th, I'd be up for a meet & greet with a cold Bintang and/or a late afternoon dive!

May actually get to meet you yet Kristen !:) Land on Bali early am on the 25th..heading up to Tulamben for a few days stay/diving at Scuba Seraya before heading out to Komodo liveaboard.

My 3rd time visiting there, whats not to love??

Cindy

May actually get to meet you yet Kristen !:) Land on Bali early am on the 25th..heading up to Tulamben for a few days stay/diving at Scuba Seraya before heading out to Komodo liveaboard.

My 3rd time visiting there, whats not to love??

Cindy
It sounds like we all have the same schedule, I fly in late on the 27th and we are going straight to tulamben before heading to Komodo on the 30th. What lob are you on in Komodo? We are on the black
manta.

It sounds like we all have the same schedule, I fly in late on the 27th and we are going straight to tulamben before heading to Komodo on the 30th. What lob are you on in Komodo? We are on the black
manta.

Head to Komodo on the 3rd of October..on the K Dancer. At SS until morning of the 2nd..probably see u all without knowing it under the Liberty at some point in time..:)

Any plans for doing the Scuba Seraya shore dive anyone?

Head to Komodo on the 3rd of October..on the K Dancer. At SS until morning of the 2nd..probably see u all without knowing it under the Liberty at some point in time..:)

Any plans for doing the Scuba Seraya shore dive anyone?
I am pretty sure we will shore dive SS while we are there, We only have two and a half dives of diving Tulamben area and we are staying at the ocean view tulamben.
I dove with Tulamben Wreck divers my first time there and they were great. The only reason I dive with Aquamarine now is that TWD introduced me to them as I asked about diving some other areas of Bali, I guess they have some kind of partnership.

Why don't we set up a day/time to meet for a drink/dinner? Coordinating diving might be too challenging from afar, but we all need to eat & drink :)

I've never been but I understand that stuff isn't too far from anything else in Tulamben? Maybe at the Tauch Terminal? One of my friends recommends the restaurant across the road from TWD for cold beer, a great view and wifi (not for the food, though LOL).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom