Bali Bound - Need Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to live in Bali. It is one of the most beautiful islands in the world and a fab spot for a honeymoon. The diving is fabulous too, you are going to love it Dave, wherever you go.

Note that the Liberty wreck is one of the dive sites in Tulamben. If I were doing a diviing honeymoon in Bali with an inexperienced diver, I'd do most of the diving in Tulamben. You walk to the divesites (as noted with tiny women carrying your gear!) I suggest you take a think pair of flip-flops for the walk, if you don't have hard sole booties, even though they are short distances. I also would stay at the Mimpi Resort. If you are diving for 10 days, you'll know the dive sites pretty well but they are perfect for new divers.

Definitely spend some time in Ubud - it's magical. Candidasa is also nice although it's growing by leaps and bounds. Get up into the hills too. The further you are from Kuta / Sanur, the more you will enjoy the place IMHO.

Wisnu:
Small correction for Allison post, in case to use as keywords on search engine; ie:
1. Tulamben - I prefer Mimpi Resort, seem more suitable for honeymoon than Tauch Terminal, both separated +/- 100m. Just jump to dive at Coral garden after dinner, in front of the resort restaurant,
2. Menjangan (deer) Island
3. Taman sari Resort
4. Nusa Lembongan, water temp. 21 - 23 C so bring 3 mm suit will be convenient

Yes, the water at Lembongan is quite variable. This is due to the upwellings. The water temp can drop up to almost 10 degrees when you hit those. It is like punching through a wall. Where the two temps meet, you get a wonderful water distortion due to temp and salinity differences.
If you go to Menjangan, and I sure hope you do, go to the island itself. There is a gorgeous wall that starts at the islands edge and drops vertically to a nicely diveable depth with lotsa swim throughs and alcoves. NICE! Much nicer than the dives I made at Tulamben. Bye the way, don't miss diving out of the native outriggers in Tulamben. They will take you to some harder to swim to areas. It is a real experience getting in and out. Hmmm...out was the easy part....

Bali critter diving is up there with PNG. There are some sites that are more prodigious in producing rare invertebrates and cephalopods than anywhere in PNG. The area that Bali diving fails is the coral diversity and health. But that is due to the heavier diving traffic(read below) and the heavier currents that shoot through. Then again Bali is the gateway to some of the best diving in the world in Komodo, Alor and Maumere. I consider Bali a good place to warm up or wind down before/after going to those areas.
Gili Tepekong area is mostly drift dives for pelagics.You sometimes get molas there but the chances of molas are better in Penida.
The main problems with Aquamarine are that they don't have their own boat or easy access to nitrox, something that is essential should you want to do the mola mola dives or the muck sites around Bali as a photographer or use nitrox as a buffer.
Ena divers has a very nice owner but unfortunately the majority of their clientele are japanese divers who reef walk on the coral esp around Lembongan and Penida. I asked the dive guides about it and they said they couldn't do a thing as their livelihood was on the line. I couldn't bare to watch that scene and cancelled my next dives with them.

Hi there!

I'm a Balinese living in Singapore, and when I go to Bali (4 times in 2004!) I dive with Bali Scuba (www.baliscuba.com)! Just finished my Rescue course with them, they're awesome people. No reef walking, high safety standards, free diving insurance, and excellent guides. You can build your own itinerary and pick your guide, and even pick your own hotels.

I would definitely recommend these sites:
- Tulamben sites: Liberty Wreck, Drop-off, Batu Kelebit, Seraya. Stay at ScubaSeraya or Mimpi Resort.
- Nusa Penida sites: Crystal Bay, SD, Gamat, Karang Ampel, Toyapakeh. Stay anywhere in Sanur, although I would recommend Griya Santrian or Puri Santrian, or Bali Gazebo.
- Puri Jati (macro site). Stay at Lovina... Have only stayed at Angsoka, basic but clean, airconditioned, has a pool, and very cheap!
- Menjangan Island. Stay at either Lovina, or Mimpi Resort Menjangan.

Good luck with your search and congrats on your marriage :)

Irene

OK, silly question time. I've been reading up on the different dive operators around bali and they all talk about travel time by car and then a boat ride. What's that all about? Of all the places I've been, it's all by boat. You meet up at the dive shop and then load up the boat. Is this different in Bali, where you load up the car, then it drives you to the local town and then take a boat? Seems like a lot of wasted time. I would hate to take a 3-4 travel time each way everyday.

in many places in Bali, the diving is not always close ot where you stay. When dove Tulemben area, I was based further south on the island and had a 2 hour (ish) drive to get to the dive site. Obviously there are some resorts which are closer, but many people base elsewhere in Bali as they are not on pure dive vacations.

the drive up was interesting- although I desperately needed the bathroom most of the way- and on the way back, out mini-van had an accident. But it didn't overhsadow the excellent diving!!!

David,

Most visitors to Bali prefer to stay in the tourist centrals like Kuta, Nusa Dua, or Sanur. The dive sites, however, are not always accessible by boat only. You will need to travel by car for some part of the journey.

If you stay in Sanur, for example, the travel time to various sites would be:

- Tulamben: 2 hours by car. It's a shore dive so there's no boat ride.
- Nusa Penida: point of boat departure is from Sanur beach so there's like 10 mins car ride.
- Puri Jati: 3 hours by car. Shore dive.
- Padangbai: 1 hour by car. 10 mins boat ride.

The ride is usually very relaxed, and along the way the view is very picturesque. You can always bask the driver to stop if you need to.

I hope this helps.

Dave
Bali is not really small island, simply 120 km x 75 km. Most of tourist accomodations from budget $5 - $5000 are in south of Bali (denpasar, Kuta, sanur, Nusa dua, benoa ect. note Ubud is within 45 minutes from these), most of DS are based in this area. Unfortunately, the best site are far from there with the exception of Padang bai - so these area become a pick-up point. Fortunately (or may be unfortunately for serious divers) now more and more accomodations as well as DS are available around the site such as Menjangan, Pemuteran, Tulamben, Candi dasa). Serious diver will avoid Kuta, Nusa Dua ect. If you stay at Ubud, yes you need 3 - 4 hours to reach menjangan or Tulamben. In ubud, I suggest you keep your dive gear in you room, just enjoy other activities such as jungle trekking, rafting, shopping, cultural sites ect. Then you move to Tulamben (Mimpi and Tauch Termina has 5* PADI DS), then let the girl bring your tank, spit you mask, dump your air then you'l meet the welcoming committee (I love this event). In Tulamben area at least you can dive at 6 different site without car and boat. But as Allisson said, don't miss diving out of the native outriggers in Tulamben.
From Tulamben you can easily dive at amed and cemeluk - all within 20 minutes by car. You still can stay at Tulamben and reach Menjangan within 2 hours.
The next you can move and stay at Candi Dasa for diving at Gili selang, Gili Biaha, Tepekong, Nusa Penida, Nusa lembongan sites.
Sure it will save lot of your time and money too, but 10 days will not enough to cover all Bali site although Bali sites are not the best in Indonesia but easy access and best for honeymoon.
We enjoy Bali almost every year - but with only 40% in the water since we have 5 and 9 years beautiful kids so we still need the crowd of Kuta and Nusa Dua.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom