Bali ... and then where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks! I've gotten some neat ideas already from your comments.

We might narrow the search down to places we can get to more readily. Tulamben is the only "mandatory" place ... this will be for Cheng's 60th birthday, and that's where she wants to be on March 22. Everything else is optional. We may hit other spots on Bali, but last time we were there, the only other place that really "wowed" us was Menjangen Island.

We are planning this trip to be 2-1/2 to 3 weeks in length. Not being familiar with the travel routes over there, commentary about such is very helpful. Cheng isn't into wrecks or deep dives, so we can skip those. But walls and weird critters would be high on her list of preferences.

Thanks again for the info ... please keep it coming ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Komodo, Komodo and Komodo....:D

Okay...maybe a little Lembeh/Bunaken action too!!

Bob,
I would say Coron Island in the Phillippines would be amazing for the wrecks. They are all shallow 90 - 120' max. Check out Sangat Island Reserve. I tell you all about it when I see you next time.

mdb:
Tawali Resort, Papua New Guinea, owned and operated by Bob Hollis, founder of OCEANIC ,and his crew, is worth considering for your upcoming adventures: www.tawali.com/tawali/

I want to go!

Bob, we heard a tip in Bali you might want to check on. A couple of Malaysian divers say that if you fly into Kuala Lumpar you can get a great fare for the region. They claim that it is the discount hub for Indo and SE Asia. He was saying the Europeans and the Australians were hip to this but that the Americans he talked to did not seem to understand the savings yet. ??? Might ask around.
Security was fantastic out of Dempasar, I must add. (Get yourself a french press if you need your java.

I would be tempted to try Puerto Gallera after hearing Dennis talk and seeing his pics. I think it is good value money-wise too. (As was Bali). Of course, my heart belongs to Palau's Blue Corner, just so much pelagic action on the reef! Five times in four years and I had to force myself to go somewhere new. West Plaza near Sam's about 70/ night and very nice.

Also, Quero has been everywhere it seems, ask her too. She sent me a link to Malaysia Diver Site for pics but I cannot get the registration to work.

NWGratefulDiver:
Thanks! I've gotten some neat ideas already from your comments.

We might narrow the search down to places we can get to more readily. Tulamben is the only "mandatory" place ... this will be for Cheng's 60th birthday, and that's where she wants to be on March 22. Everything else is optional. We may hit other spots on Bali, but last time we were there, the only other place that really "wowed" us was Menjangen Island.

We are planning this trip to be 2-1/2 to 3 weeks in length. Not being familiar with the travel routes over there, commentary about such is very helpful. Cheng isn't into wrecks or deep dives, so we can skip those. But walls and weird critters would be high on her list of preferences.

Thanks again for the info ... please keep it coming ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

For weird critters, Lembeh is really incomparable.

To get to Lembeh, you can fly into Manado on Silkair (SingaporeAir subsidiary) from Singapore or you can get there from Bali on Garuda. Bunaken is also accessed through Manado. I haven't been there but it's supposed to be great walls.

Sipadan is also walls. Getting there is a little more difficult. From Bali, you'd probably need to fly Malaysia Air to Kuala Lampur. From there you could fly either Malaysia Air or Air Asia into Tawau. Air Asia flies direct. But I would choose Lembeh over Sipadan.

Wakatobi will fly you directly there from Bali, so that's the easiest travel. I still haven't made it to Wakatobi. Lot's of conflicting reports. Some love it. Some hate it.

Komodo would also be easy. Your boat would either leave from Bali or from Bima which is a very short plane ride from Bali.

Also, a couple of friends of ours spent several days on Nusa Lembongan diving Nusa Penida and liked it quite a bit. It's only a boat ride from Bali.

If you have spent the time and money to get to that part of the world, Bob, KBR and Lembeh HAS to be part of the itinerary. The resort is beautiful, the staff is beyond helpful, the food is excellent, and the dive op is first rate . . . And the final payoff is that someone posts on SB that they did four dives with multiple guides to find a Pegasus sea moth, and we saw them on four or five dives! Rhinopias . . . scorpionfish . . . ghost pipefish . . . multiple species of octopus . . . MANDARIN FISH . . . The list goes on.

And come back from the dive to hot drinks and cookies, and a warm, dry towel. Dive with guides who get so excited about finding something you wanted to see that they run to the wetsuit hut to show it to you in the ID book.

Bunaken had beautiful walls -- steep, massive, impressive walls, swept with daunting current, and decorated in brilliant colors. But Lembeh . . . Lembeh was amazing. You'd love Lembeh. You'd find all kinds of stuff and scoop the guides and amaze them. They'd tell you what it was, but you'd find it. Every dive an progressive dinner of jaw-dropping marine life, and utterly irreplaceable macro photography opportunities. And in the evening, the gracious resort of KBR, with its delicious food (Cheng would revel, and you might enjoy the top class french fires), attentive staff, aesthetically beautiful lodgings, gorgeous landscaping, and perfect setting. I just can't say enough good things about KBR and the Eco Divers operation out of there. I doubt it gets better than that.

i think you would spend far too much time on planes etc if you try to go to PNG or PI or whatever, you would ruin a lot of your time.

I would concentrate on Indo if i were you, plenty of amazing diving there. A week in Bali, then off to Sulawesi, then over to Raja Ampat... or a liveaboard..

That's my thinking at this point too, Mike ... based on comments here. I have plenty of time to plan this trip, but want to look at several options before making a decision.

Thanks ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I agree with hanging in the Bali area. Maybe hop over to the islands east of there on a boat. I think people make a big mistake trying to see too many places on one trip. You spend far too much time checking into hotels and airports. Three weeks passes too quickly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom