Bali 2006

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wahlaoeh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I did a total of 25 dives covering Tulamben area, Seraya, Amed, Padangbai, Tepekong & Nusa Penida. It wasn't the best time of the year to dive in Tulamben & Seraya as there were strong waves from the shore, making the entry/exit from the water difficult. We fell & have scratches and bruises all over but I have no complaints!! At Tulamben, we doved at the Drop-off, Coral Garden & the USAT Liberty wreck. The wreck was a magnificent sight with many healthy soft coral growth of vibrant colours. We saw huge school of jacks & barracudas, lots of ambon, hinge-beak & cleaner shrimps, octopuses, crinoid shrimps in feather stars, one funky looking rock shrimp, scorpionfishes, few nudibranchs & many more. It was muck diving in Seraya & the dives here are my favourite. I would rate them better than the ones in Lembeh Straits. It was here that I have come & found what I am looking for, the unique pattern boxer crabs, Lybia tessellata.We rummaged around the black sandy bed looking for bizzare looking critters & saw many new species of nudibranchs, lots of shrimps (harlequin , rock, commensal), crabs (spider, arrow-head) , frogfishes ( a 1.5cm clown frogfish), seahorses, flounders and many more. This is definitely a macro heaven to see & photograph Bali's rare underwater treasures. The dives in Amed were not as good due poor visibility & strong currents. There are so many huge barrel sponges & rock formations but we were drifting so much that we barely have a chance to really look amidst them. Nevertheless, we did see a harlequin ghost pipefish, some cleaner shrimps, pink squat lobsters, a cute looking spider crab on broccoli coral, Hoplophrys oatesii & an intimidating 1.5m giant barracuda.

At Padangbai, we made 3 dives at a site called the Blue Lagoon. The dives were great especially the 2 night dives where we practically parked ourselves at one big piece of rock for the whole dive. There were so many hinge-beak shrimps littering all over the rock & we also saw cuttlefishes, bubblebee shrimps, leaf & frog fishes, wasp fishes, scorpion & devil fishes, spanish dancer with emperor shrimps, seastar shrimps, many funky looking crabs. We were lucky on our first day diving at Nusa Penida. We saw 5-6 manta rays at Manta Point during the first dive & also 3 mola molas at Crystal Bay, one that stayed with us for ~10 mins & was so close that I was able to see the parasites on it's body. The diving at Nusa Penida & Tepekong were drfit dives with unpredictable strong currents at times, making photography almost impossible. There are signs of coral bleaching but the reefs in some sites like The Canyon & SD Point, with their profusion of colourful soft corals, gorgonians and thriving hard corals are quite spectacular. I came, I saw the ocean sunfish, unfortunately I didn't manage to capture them on the camera due to housing fogging but I was ecstatic!! I have "stole" two shots from Samuel for my gallery.

I have uploaded some pictures onto my gallery & here is the link: http://sg.homeunix.com/jovin/Bali-Aug-06
There were actually many more but I gave up sorting them through......

Happy bubbles,
Jovin-

wow....lots and lots of shrimp! like the on on the bottom of the starfish and the cute little spotted crab :D

definitely many more but unfortunatley not able to capture them all...
#15 is an unique tiger shrimp, saw two of them...way cool. my dive guide, prass has been diving for ~ 10 years in the same site but saw them only thrice....lucky me :)

i called #17 the funky shrimp, saw the 1st one at coral garden. it was hanging up side down & my dive guide, agus thought that it was a robust ghostpipe fish.

Wow, way cool!

How big was the sunfish? (mola mola)

saw three...the biggest i think is about 2.5m. ya, way cool!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom