DIR- Generic Balancing rig with wetsuit and doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think I understand the question about having a balanced rig during the dive and not wanting to swim up excess weight in case of a wing failure, but I'm wondering about the opposite....at the end a dive with this configuration (3x AL80s), if something had gone badly and all the tanks were <500PSI, they would be about 18lbs more buoyant than at the beginning.
Your buoyancy at the end of the dive will change by the weight of the gas lost during the dive. Period. The composition of the tanks is not relevant.

Regardless of the composition of your tanks, you need to weight yourself for what will happen at the end of the dive.

I was in 79-80° water below 100m in the Cayman Islands just six weeks ago.
What were you wearing? I've used my drysuit at such temps for redundant buoyancy, but I'm really contemplating getting a 5mm of late for Florida wrecks under 60 m.

Some tech divers try to be "slick" by diving with no ditchable weight, but I think this is not super smart.
Not trying to be "slick", it's just the nature of high-capacity cylinders. They do it safely by having redundant buoyancy. Either a second bladder in the wing, a drysuit, possibly both, probably also a couple DSMBs (at 40+ lb lift each).

Not trying to be "slick", it's just the nature of high-capacity cylinders. ]
I dive with high-capacity double cylinders. With 35%+ helium the gas weight is not that much. I have a ditchable weight belt about equal to the back gas weight.

They do it safely by having redundant buoyancy. Either a second bladder in the wing, a drysuit, possibly both, probably also a couple DSMBs (at 40+ lb lift each).
No one uses double bladder wings. Which forum are we in again?

Drysuits are only sort of redundant buoyancy. They won't really float you very well at the surface with full tanks. Gas will leak out the neck seal. Try relying on a drysuit only (empty wing) on the surface with full tanks in rough seas without ditching any weight and see how well that actually works.

Not trying to be "slick", it's just the nature of high-capacity cylinders. They do it safely by having redundant buoyancy. Either a second bladder in the wing, a drysuit, possibly both, probably also a couple DSMBs (at 40+ lb lift each).
A drysuit isn’t redundant boyancy silly. There’s like 3 hole in it…

is there a difference between GUE DIR and UTD DIR?…

What were you wearing? I've used my drysuit at such temps for redundant buoyancy, but I'm really contemplating getting a 5mm of late for Florida wrecks under 60 m.

2mm wetsuit. I was on a CCR and my bailout bottles were all AL80s.

My standard config for summer diving in Key Largo/Pompano FL is either a 3mm or board shorts w/ a rash guard for all dives with Al80s and Al stages. If I think I might get chilly, I'll throw on a hood.

In the Red Sea, I've done multiple dives >60m in similar exposure suits.

A big variable is a diver's own body composition and whether they run hot. I'm one of those people that wears shorts in northeast USA winters, so I maybe an outlier for this discussion.

My standard config for summer diving in Key Largo/Pompano FL is either a 3mm or board shorts w/ a rash guard for all dives with Al80s and Al stages. If I think I might get chilly, I'll throw on a hood.

In the Red Sea, I've done multiple dives >60m in similar exposure suits.

A big variable is a diver's own body composition and whether they run hot. I'm one of those people that wears shorts in northeast USA winters, so I maybe an outlier for this discussion.
Do you drop your stage bottles when diving the SG like everyone else?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom